PDA

View Full Version : which 10 foot tire bigfot do you prefer?

Cutlass Revenge
November 11th, 2009, 01:13 AM
the wide track version or the tall version?

i personally like the wide one...thats how i remember seeing it on BF4 for the first time in like 85 or 86..

MasterofTame
November 11th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Bigfoot V is THE tundra tire truck, seeing Bigfoot IV with them looks silly.

Cutlass Revenge
November 11th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Bigfoot V is THE tundra tire truck, seeing Bigfoot IV with them looks silly. yeah but when i was little thats how i first saw it, on bf4 not the tall tundra truck.. to me the tundra truck looks likes its on stilts. they first appeared on the earlier trucks cause 5 wasnt built yet.

ProTruckChallenge
November 11th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I think they are both great looking trucks in their own right, but i'd go with Bigfoot 5 when it had the 87-91 Body, because that's how I remember it mainly. something that shot of it going through the mud just gets me goin!

Cutlass Revenge
November 11th, 2009, 02:49 AM
i love how return of the monster trucks starts with jan gabriels driving the corvette right under bigfoot 4.. impossible to do with the tall truck
http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/images/imported/2009/11/244.jpg

Daniel G
November 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
You can't pass under the Foot V with a corvette but the wide version show a very very big excentricity to the knuckles (the distance between the tire and the knuckle) so the axle are LOT weaker than the taller version because of flexural force induce on the king pins.

And I think that the taller version made some very impressive photos...

Cutlass Revenge
November 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
never saw the tall version run over other monster trucks.

Pullin_and_Monsters
November 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I like the tall narrow truck. That was the first one I saw, and will always associate with the tundra tire truck.

Daniel G
November 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
never saw the tall version run over other monster trucks.

h?h? just imagine the tall version making a monster truck crush (ok fake monster truck with small round rods for the axle and the suspension for very easy crush...). The gravity center is soo high on Foot 5 so I'm 100% sure that if the cabs don't crush at the same time, Foot 5 fall off on the side.

Just imagine how much you can incline the truck before it fall. I guess 15 or 20 degree.

I have the monster truck crush on one of my video. The stunt is so slow that the video is presented at 3x or 4x the real speed. Even the tailgate are remove from the 2 monsters to ensure minimum stress on the axles.

Anyway the only task of the wider and the taller version is to be big...

carcrusher
November 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
surprisingly enough, 5 can climb a fairly steep hill - there's a shot from one of the jamborees of it navigating an obstacle course hill which was up there in the angle department. the truck almost pulled the front wheels, but it leveled out.

as for my preference, i liked how 1-4 looked with the 10 footers, but 5 is a more purpose-built truck that is more better suited for the tires.

Cutlass Revenge
November 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM
as for my preference, i liked how 1-4 looked with the 10 footers, but 5 is a more purpose-built truck that is more better suited for the tires.you bring up a good point.. 5 was a purpose built truck.. bigfoot 1 wasnt... it just kept getting add ons and bigger and bigger and bigger.. the 10 footers on 1-4 was in the spirit of the original.. an add-on

Nagi
November 13th, 2009, 07:16 AM
The wide-axled tundra tire Bigfoot makes me wince. I keep watching it expecting the whole assembly to break and the truck to drop right to the ground. Bigfoot 5 looks more structurally sound, so I can look at pictures and videos of it without getting the creeps and anticipating some horrible accident about to happen.

So yeah, taller construction gets my vote.

KD58
November 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
The stuff that they did with the wide-track 10ft tire setup still blows my mind tho. I've witnessed video of Kramer blasting through a mudpit at the Superdome, nearly spinning the thing out, then shifting the t-case into 2wd and doing a big "let's see if we can get some mud off these things" burnout for most of the length of the pit.

I don't think the published home videos really express how hard the guys really ran those old trucks. Some of the unreleased stuff I've seen left me with my jaw on the floor.

My vote for fave 10ft tire truck? Probably #5 with the '79 body on it.

-kd

Firehawk85
November 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Some of the unreleased stuff I've seen left me with my jaw on the floor.
-kd

Hmmmm maybe there should be a 35th Anniversary video featuring unreleased footage!!!! :D Please Mr Chandler pretty please!?!?!?!?!??:D:p;)

MasterofTame
November 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM
some of the things the wide truck did was cool like crushing monster trucks but other than that, I go with Bigfoot 5/7/"13."

Stomping The Bully
November 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
YouTube- Bigfoot 5 In Action!

DiggerFan
November 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
The stuff that they did with the wide-track 10ft tire setup still blows my mind tho. I've witnessed video of Kramer blasting through a mudpit at the Superdome, nearly spinning the thing out, then shifting the t-case into 2wd and doing a big "let's see if we can get some mud off these things" burnout for most of the length of the pit.

Is this the mud run & burnout you're referring to?:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm122/DiggerFan/BigfootNewOrleans2.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm122/DiggerFan/BigfootNewOrleans1.jpg

ELD
November 13th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I like both versions. 5 because its soooo tall, and the other because they are sooo wide.

carcrusher
November 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Some of the unreleased stuff I've seen left me with my jaw on the floor.

kyle, that would be your cue to light a fire under bob's butt and get some of that stuff out to the fans!

Daniel G
November 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
surprisingly enough, 5 can climb a fairly steep hill - there's a shot from one of the jamborees of it navigating an obstacle course hill which was up there in the angle department. the truck almost pulled the front wheels, but it leveled out.

Just to be clear, I talked about transversal inclinaison (truck fall on the side) and I guessed 15 ou 20 degrees. You writed about longitudinal inclinaison (truck fall on his tailgate) witch is a lot higher of course. ;)

Daniel G
November 13th, 2009, 11:02 PM

I don't think the published home videos really express how hard the guys really ran those old trucks. Some of the unreleased stuff I've seen left me with my jaw on the floor.

My vote for fave 10ft tire truck? Probably #5 with the '79 body on it.

-kd

I've no doubt that the driver run hard the 10 foot trucks sometimes. But spinning the tire in the mud with the pedal to the metal do not induce big flexural bending force on the axles. The tires must be slammed to the ground to put axles flexural forces that can break the king pins. This is why I wrote that the tall version is lot stronger than the wide one. In the tall version, the excentricity to the knuckle is almost the same than any 66" tire monster.

Cactusjack1999
November 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Kyle.... given you are there... are there any plans to release some of this stuff AT ALL!?

I mean there have to be TONS of gem's that have never been seen, and given the whole 35th anniversary thing... It would be great to finally see some of it.