PDA

View Full Version : Quick AWESOME KONG QUESTION

extreme racing
February 27th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Ok here a quick question i have wondered for years an havent been able to get to the bottom but its really pointless in the end.. So here it is i keep seeing old vids on youtube of the 80's monster truck racing a keep hearing army say steve cain driving awesome kong, But the only drivers/owners were steve an jeff DANE not cain was there a typo???? Who's cain??... Is this a real person????? Any info? Were did this guy come from??

gmtgmt
February 27th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Ok here a quick question i have wondered for years an havent been able to get to the bottom but its really pointless in the end.. So here it is i keep seeing old vids on youtube of the 80's monster truck racing a keep hearing army say steve cain driving awesome kong, But the only drivers/owners were steve an jeff DANE not cain was there a typo???? Who's cain??... Is this a real person????? Any info? Were did this guy come from??

No never heard of steve cain before...
YouTube- All Time Best Monster Truck Crash: King Kong at Myrtle Beach

he raced the Kong Trucks in the late 89 to 91

dave3BA
February 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Steve Cain was a friend of the Dane's, and a crew member for a long time. He eventually started driving King Kong III when Jeff Dane stopped driving. Around late 1988, Jeff Dane decided he could only afford to race one truck in TNT's racing series, and the better of his two trucks for racing was Awesome Kong. King Kong III went back to doing displays and car crushes. Steve Dane quit driving for his brother in early-mid 1989, and Jeff Dane drove at a few shows, as well as a guy named Mark Brandt. Steve Cain eventually took over as the main driver for Awesome Kong until the warm weather hit in 1990. Jeff decided to make some (more) modifications to Awesome Kong and had Steve Cain drive King Kong III on the circuit to not lose anymore points. That's when Cain destroyed King Kong in that horrific crash above.

JRB4337
February 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm glad someone answered this question. I have been wonderin for some time if tv has just got it wrong over the years or if I was missin somethin. Thank you dave3BA for the answer.

look-out
February 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Steve was from Killeen, TX. Not sure what he's up to now but I saw him a few years back at the dallas monster jam. i was walking in the tunnel with bennett clark to go tire down and he was in the grandstands. bennett or gary wiggins (who was at the show too) hadnt seen him in a long time.

modeltruckshop
February 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Steve Cain drives an OTR truck nowdays. he lives near Jeff and Steve still and they are still friends. Steve

Pullin_and_Monsters
March 1st, 2010, 01:05 AM
Steve Cain was driving the truck on Tuff TRAX at Richmond, VA. It was just recently posted on Yoututbe its from 1989, with the narrowed Awsome Kong.
YouTube- Tuff Trax 1989 Monster Truck Racing Richmond, VA PT. 1-3

SegaJeep
March 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm glad to say hello since this is my first post. I thought I'd chime in on the AKII thread here since he was one of my favorites.I have noticed the V16 in another yellow Ford long box. Curious to know what happened to the Orange Step side And to the new Allison powered truck.

Fat Brian
March 8th, 2010, 01:09 AM
The yellow Ford longbed was the stepside truck. The owner lengthened the frame and went to smaller tires to be more competitive in racing. The Allison was later swapped for a big block Chevy due to cubic inch limitations from the sanctioning organization. This version was first run without a body and then with the narrowed Chevy body still with the Awesome Kong name. Its hard to believe but 100% true.

Firehawk85
March 8th, 2010, 08:13 AM
The yellow Ford longbed was the stepside truck. The owner lengthened the frame and went to smaller tires to be more competitive in racing. The Allison was later swapped for a big block Chevy due to cubic inch limitations from the sanctioning organization. This version was first run without a body and then with the narrowed Chevy body still with the Awesome Kong name. Its hard to believe but 100% true.

This version was NOT run without a body at first. The yellow longbed had the supercharged chevy put in the bed and then was painted orange saying Awesome Kong II on the right side and just Awesome on the left side. It ran like this for a while until May 1988 when they came to Avilla Speedway in Avilla Indiana. That night one of the Danes rolled it in the final round against Jim Kramer and Bigfoot (I was at this race and remember it well). After that weekend they ran it without the body for a couple weeks and TNT motorsports stepped in saying that all trucks had to have a body which led to the 44" wide Chevy truck body.

There are pics of the truck the next day after the roll on Tafts website.

modeltruckshop
March 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Also the frame was never lengthened on the truck. The body is located diffrent on the frame but none of Jeff's trucks ever had the frame stretched. Steve

Fat Brian
March 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I forgot about the orange Ford body.

BiteMeStudios
March 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I posted this a while back, but couldn't find the thread...here is the progression of the truck:

http://bitemevideo.com/AK2progression.jpg

EDIT: Here is the back story...

Awesome Kong II is probably the most convoluted story in Old School monster trucks.

The original Awesome Kong II was the one from Return of the Monster Trucks. It was placed on 66" tires and rebodied to the yellow truck from the Charlotte 1987 show. That lasted a VERY short time before the truck was re-motored and painted orange (re-motored due to new motor rules, I believe). That truck rolled over in 1988. The following week, it was placed on 73" tires and ran the "dune buggy" style body at the first figure-8 Louisville Motor Speedway event, as TNT mandated a body must be run. TNT then mandated that a TRUCK body must be run, and thus was born the skinny-bodied Awesome Kong. That truck was the same frame that ran at Return of the Monster Trucks.

There was no Awesome Kong I. King Kong (the diesel) was number one. Awesome Kong II, (from RotMT) was number two. King Kong III, the yellow one that ran TNT Houston 1987 and eventually became the orange one from the Myrtle Beach crash, was number three. That was how the Dane's worked it with numbers, from what I hear.

modeltruckshop
March 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
The narrow body was also yellow for a very short time in the beginning. Steve