PDA

View Full Version : rear steering momentary switch..... ***

muirheadderek
November 9th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Hey guys.

So the rear steering on my Category 5 ride truck is run by an electric pump that goes up to a 6 prong momentary switch. In my area nobody sells those particular switches besides Napa. This year was the worst I went through like 8 switches in the month of October doing rides from 3-7 and 9-7 on the weekends. That's really not very long. From a little research on the internet it would appear a lot of trucks are set up that way. The only difference is mine doesn't have the self centering when you let off the switch, so typically when my switch went out the tires were stuck one way, so id be crab walking. The problem was sometimes I didn't notice the steering went out which let to bigger problems. Also with that pump being electronic it takes a ton of battery juice. The truck has 2 red top optimas but it doesn't seem like the stock 460 Alternator can handle the rear steering.

Anyway I guess my question is, why isn't there a better way to do this, or is there already. My initial thought was to get a hydraulic pump like out of a forklift or excavator and have a joystick instead. However I imagine that most of those pumps would run off the belt system and I don't really have a lot of room left on that 460.

Let me know if anyone has a better idea. Or maybe that's just how it goes. Get a shitload of switches and keep replacing them!

Thanks!

tromoly
November 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Might be a stupid question, but do you have the switch running a relay(s) or have the switch directly controlling the pump?

monstertruckkid
November 10th, 2013, 01:32 AM
tom runs a paddle for his rear steer, instead of a toggle switch

Don
November 10th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I agree it probably needs a relay. If you use more relays you can even wire it where a three prong switch will work even with self centering. I use three batteries on my ride for the steering and step with same hyd motor and all other functions of truck. plus on separate battery for stereo.
Ditch the stock alternator for a good aftermarket, stock are around 70-90 amp and aftermarket are as high as 250 amp plus you can get single wire ones so easy to change if needed. this should help solve your issues. Don

tatra813
November 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I use a single pole double throw (3 prong) with 2 relays...works great

PoiselConstruction
June 4th, 2014, 07:43 PM
http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/images/imported/2014/06/6.jpg this is the double backup diode wireing that our crew cheif came up with for the race trucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Don
June 6th, 2014, 12:59 AM
There is really no reason for the use of the 6 prong switch when used with relays. I don't even use it with a self centering setup. Also as I mentioned we use 3 optima batteries but you will need a better alternator We use powermasters single wire only high output one. About 225 amp. No pigtail needed just one wire to the battery and a ground is preferred
email [email protected] his name is Brady basner at powermaster and tell him you want the latest on they built for Me and they will get you setup.
I'm sure my truck is harder them most for battery draw with the rear step using same type pump as the rear steer and has been quit trouble free.
Don

Don
June 6th, 2014, 02:16 PM
FYI that fits a chev bracket setup and they recommend a serpentine belt but is not necessary. Jut better then v belt