PDA

View Full Version : Dragster Crash Video

FlyinBryan
June 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
This was posted in another thread but it deserves one of its own I believe, for discussion (and not arguments).

For those who have not seen the video, here it is, it is quite shocking, so beware:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Here are a couple of quick notes I've got from doing some research on this:
1.) No one was killed. Two reports I've read said 23 people and 21 people
were hurt, neither report cites anyone in critical condition, just a couple
in fair/good condition.

2.) This was not a full on USHRA event. It was a Mickey Thompson event,
although it has everything that looks like USHRA on it, and the news people
in the video refer to it as a USHRA event, perhaps it was one of those deals
where it was Mickey Thompson was the promoter under the USHRA banner, that I don't know, maybe someone can clarify for me.

3.) This was not a pulling dragster. It was driven by George Scott, and
its a full on sand dragster. It was doing an exhibition pass for, what I
guess, was a sand drag racing event that was going to be held at Anaheim
Stadium later that month. They were only supposed to do a short pass as an
exhibition, but the track was rough and his foot might of slipped off the brake
and onto the gas

4.) One guy on the track gets hit as you can kind of see on the video.
That guy filed suit for 1.75 million. Ten others injured seek a suit at 5.65
million. No word on how any of that turned out.

Here are the articles I got off of google for about $2 a piece

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stadium show still on despite dragster crash

January 18, 1988

Byline: Pat Brennan

The Register

The crash of a dragster that injured 23 people at Anaheim Stadium Saturday
night was a "freak accident" and will not interrupt the stadium's racing
schedule, race promoter Mickey Thompson said Sunday.
"You couldn't have duplicated this accident in 100 years," said Thompson, a
race-car driver and promoter for the past four decades.

The dragster, driven by George Scott of San Bernardino, was to have raced
only 60 to 80 feet down a sandy track as a promotional stunt, Thompson said.

Instead, the high-performance car accelerated suddenly at the end of its
scheduled run, careening off a piece of field equipment and slamming into a
wall beneath the grandstands. The impact hurled three of the dragster's
wheels into a crowd of spectators.

Twenty-three people were injured, including Scott, according to city
spokeswoman Sheri Erlewine. Scott was bruised but suffered no other
injuries, Thompson said.

Most of the other injuries were minor, and by Sunday afternoon all but five
of those injured had been treated at area hospitals and released.

Those still hospitalized Sunday night included Casey Gill, 28, a stadium
employee struck by debris while standing on the floor of the stadium, who
was in fair condition at Western Medical Center in Santa Ana; spectator
Charles Banbridge, 15, of Chino, who was also in fair condition at the same
hospital; Christopher Potter, 17, of Norwalk, in good condition at St.
Joseph Hospital in Orange; James Ross of Garden Grove, in fair condition at
Anaheim Memorial Hospital; and Marta Mowery, 29, of Anaheim, in fair
condition at Western Medical Center in Anaheim.

Mowery, who spoke to a reporter by phone from her hospital bed, said the
experience has convinced her never to attend another racing event.

"The whole car just cracked up," Mowery said. "I got hit by one of the
tires. It was like in slow motion when it was coming at me. Thank God I
thought to turn to my side. Otherwise it would have hit me right in the
face."

Mowery, who suffered three broken ribs, said it was the second racing event
she had ever attended -- and probably her last.

Although Banbridge was not well enough to be interviewed, Thompson said he
had spoken to the teen-ager earlier that day. He said Banbridge, who
suffered a large gash in his left thigh, told him he was anxious to attend
next Sunday's drag race at the stadium, which Scott was attempting to
promote with his dragster when the crash occurred.

Drag racing was not a part of the show Saturday night, attended by more than
40,000 people and billed as the "Anaheim Double Header Motor Sports
Extravaganza." The floor of the stadium was covered with mud for the
performance, which featured "tractor-pull" contests between large, powerful
trucks.

The dragster entered the field shortly after 9 p.m. Thompson said Scott was
to fire up the engines, drive 20 feet, then come to a stop within 40 to 60
feet.

A bumpy track, however, might have caused Scott to inadvertently touch the
sensitive gas pedal while he was braking, Thompson said.

"He hit a few little bumps out there," Thompson said. "It may have rattled
his foot enough that the rear tire started spinning again."

The 1,500- to 2,000-horsepower engine was functioning at about half its
normal power, Thompson said, because full power is unnecessary for a
promotional run; but the engine, able to accelerate to 20 mph within 20
feet, is so highly charged that even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal
brings an instant response.

The dragster continued an additional 250 feet before striking a large, flat
"pulling sled" used by the trucks earlier that night.

The impact with the 10,000-pound sled sheared the right front wheel and the
entire rear-wheel assembly from the car, sending all three wheels into the
grandstands.

Debris from the crash hit Gill, who had just moved the sled from another
part of the stadium. He was thrown about 30 feet.

Scott's car slammed into a wall beneath the grandstands and stopped.

Thompson said safety equipment normally used with dragsters -- barriers,
netting to protect spectators, and cables connected to the cars to help them
stop -- were not in place Saturday, as they will be during the next
scheduled drag race Jan. 24.

"It was just a very short demonstration to fire up the engines," Erlewine
said. "Literally, that was all that was supposed to happen."

Erlewine said Anaheim Police are investigating the crash, but police had not
determined a cause Sunday night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ten people injured in a Jan. 16 dragster crash at Anaheim Stadium have filed
claims against the city, seeking a total of $5.65 million in damages.

The claims, filed in the city clerk's office earlier this month, allege that
Anaheim officials failed to make sure that safety procedures were in place
during a promotional stunt.

Twenty-one spectators were injured when a high-powered dragster went out of
control and slammed into a wall.

Casey Gill, 29, a road crew employee, seeks $1.75 million in damages for
multiple injuries to his face, head and body. Gill was standing near the
track and was struck by the dragster.

The other claims were filed by spectators, including Scott Cohoon and James
Ross, both of Garden Grove; R.E. and Sharon Mitchell, both of Whittier; and
their children, Dennis Mitchell and Barbara Aronson; their grandchildren,
Dennis Mitchell Jr. and Joeline Aronson; and Bertha Mitchell, a
daughter-in-law, all of ! Lakewood.

If the City Council rejects the claims, the 10 people who filed them have
six months to file suits against the city. Nine of the 10 already have sued
deceased racing promoter Mickey Thompson.

Anaheim officials say they can't be liable for the accident because, under
an indemnity clause with the city, Thompson was required to have liability
insurance.

KBerry321
June 10th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Just an erie side note to add to this post:

I began a job in 2005 here in town. A lady I worked with had lived in both Pheonix and Anaheim previous to moving back to Arkansas for family matters. We struck up conversation one day about my affliction with monster trucks and from then on we started talking about past shows that she and I both had remembered. One that sticks in my mind is this exact Anaheim show. She said that she had when living in Anaheim that she was offered free tickets and all access passes to the race on behalf of a family friend whose husband was racing in the mud classes that night. They were on the way to the show when her father had health issues which ended her and a friend's night of going to the show in Anaheim. She returned the next night to her seats, the attendant said that they had been blocked off due to an accident from the previous night and that they would be relocated. What is weird is that they were the same, exact seats that the dragster axle had made impact in...Small world......

carcrusher
June 10th, 2007, 12:36 AM
bryan - i was waiting for someone to post this, and i'd really like to learn more about the situation because we can all learn from things like this.

before reading those articles, i was sure that the event was the '88 anaheim show that was televised on espn, as evidenced by the sled, galoway commentating, and the row of cars toward the top of the screen, which was for bigfoot's long jump attempt. also, i believe the event was called a "double header" because there were 2 pulling tracks, plus, traditionally, the anaheim ushra event happened in the beginning of the first quarter. can anyone shed some light on what event this truly was because there's a lot of conflicting evidence.

i'm glad to hear that no lives were lost in that incident. it would truly have been a dark day in the sport's history. somehow, i had never seen or heard of the events until this past week when i first saw the video.

well, that's all i have to say for now. guys & gals - let's please be civilized and have an intelligent conversation about these events and not start shouting at each other - i'd hate to see a thread that could educate us be closed due to ignorance.

Thunder Crasher
June 10th, 2007, 12:45 AM
That is pretty interesting to here her seats were where the tire went.

On the note of the post, interesting find too. I find in odd that nobody has uploaded the Bad Medicine incident, and if uploaded already, havent stumbled onto it yet. Seeing and reading articles on this is rather interesting, in terms of safety, as well as its in a sport were incidents like these arent as common as open wheel or other motorsports.

The Enforcer
June 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM
If you haven't seen the video yet, viewer discretion is advised, as it contains some shocking footage.

I was actually thinking of this event not too long ago and wondering about it. I saw a split second clip of that crash on the introductions to one of those "World's Most Shocking Videos" or something like that a few years ago. I never knew of what happened exactly or what the end result was until now. I almost started a thread asking about it. I know that this is a horrible tragedy, but thanks for posting that video and bringing it to my attention. It's terrible to learn of just how tragic the accident really was. I realize this was many years ago, but my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those victims.

I thought the sand dragsters/mud racers had a cable attached to the back that shut the power off once they crossed the finish line. But there doesn't appear to be a cable that I see, and you can hear the throttle rev up right before the dragster hits the sled. Was this event before the cable shut-off was invented?

Also, the sand/mud pit, whichever it was, seems to be leading right into the pulling sled. So it appears that anyone could have crashed into the sled that night if they didn't get it shut down in time. The video says Anaheim (not sure of the year though), which I realize is probably in their baseball stadium, so I can see how the pulling track starts at home plate and heads towards first base. The pit, however, seems to start in the outfield between right and center field and head towards home plate. I'm not criticizing anyone or the promoter, but wouldn't it have been safer to run the dragsters the opposite direction? I'm not sure how Anaheim Stadium looked back then or how the track layout was exactly, but I imagine the outfield wall would be taller than the ones behind home plate.

EDIT: I just watched the video again and it appears as if there's a foul line pole there, so maybe the dragsters were run towards the outfield wall. I still wonder why the pit faced the pulling sled though.

By the way, was this USHRA or USA Motorsports? And what year? I hear Mike Galloway as the announcer, but not sure who he was working for at the time. Again, I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just curious. If the cable shut-off was invented to prevent accidents like this from happening again, then it's good to know that a safety improvement was learned from this, but it's sad that it happened at the expense of those unfortunate victims.

I posted that before in another thread, but now that there's a dedicated thread regarding the incident, I feel it's more appropriate here.

Thanks for creating this thread and the clarification Bryan. I had some questions that I posted above, and I almost created a thread asking about this horrific crash. Well, it's good to know now that no one died from this accident.

Just an erie side note to add to this post:

I began a job in 2005 here in town. A lady I worked with had lived in both Pheonix and Anaheim previous to moving back to Arkansas for family matters. We struck up conversation one day about my affliction with monster trucks and from then on we started talking about past shows that she and I both had remembered. One that sticks in my mind is this exact Anaheim show. She said that she had when living in Anaheim that she was offered free tickets and all access passes to the race on behalf of a family friend whose husband was racing in the mud classes that night. They were on the way to the show when her father had health issues which ended her and a friend's night of going to the show in Anaheim. She returned the next night to her seats, the attendant said that they had been blocked off due to an accident from the previous night and that they would be relocated. What is weird is that they were the same, exact seats that the dragster axle had made impact in...Small world......

That is kinda eerie. Even though it's terrible to hear that her father had health issues, it prevented them from being in those seats that night, so I'm glad it worked out for them in the long run.

What month/year was the second article posted?

TeamMayhem
June 10th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I can personally add to this incident, due to the fact that my family were pro mud racers during that timeframe and were subjected to all the rules that followed this incident. We were spectators at this event, and I remember it clearly. But that's another story-

Prior to this incident, we were allowed as mud racers to use "Paddle Tires" during competition. After this incident, Sand Drags and Mud Racing were outlawed at Anaheim for 1 year, and USHRA wide, the implementation of "Cut Tires only" was immediate and swift. Also, the implementation of 'Tether Kill Switches' was demanded, and vigorously enforced. Mud and Sand Drags continued in 1990, with the Camel Mud and Monster Series- with new safety issues addressed and in full effect.

It wasn't only until 1998, literally ten years after the incident, that the Anaheim venue allowed us as Mud Racers to use Paddle Tires in competition. By then, we as Mud Racers, had grown accustomed to the use of Cut Tires, and didn't really need Paddles- but those of us who had them, used them.

The USHRA was absolutely key in implementing truly awesome safety rules and regulations, which enabled those of us who were competitors to continue to enjoy the sport, while entertaining the crowds.

charliewagner
June 10th, 2007, 03:27 AM
holy crap, i didnt even see the sled there when i watched the video at first, after i read the post i went back to it and saw the sled and it took that entire assembly right off like a knife on butter.

Thunder Chicken
June 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Good hunting Bryan. Thanks for finding all of that info. Any way I could convince you to post that all on OMTC too please?

BACA
June 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
You guys are freakin funny. We kan talk about this incident from 1988, yet we can't talk about Calvin? Or people won't discuss what happened? Kill Radios NEED to be used more. Somehow someway the industry need to put RII's or something on tuff-trucks. It took the industry 17 years since the Hans-device came out so? So what really went wrong with Calvin's day? also Don Van-Loo... Theres a mouthfull. Bad Medicine which later became Magnum Force. From what I know Don was knocked out a few times in that truck. In Oklahoma he hit the wall hard. In N.Y I found out that someone was not paying attention with the RII. Which I'm sure is going to start da dawgs up AGAIN. So since I said that let me state that I have a friend/Monster-truck driver who was racing at a show a few years back and had his bell rung as we say in the bizz. When he came to he was in the stands and the guy operating the RII was 2 busy in a conversation to notice that the truck was just cruising along. The driver who I know NEVER drove for many many years after that. Very scary feeling waking up and your in the stands. In Dayton,Oh in a very small arena I was running 2wd and my brakes didn't work to well and I tapped the wall. I hated that, I had all my weight on the brakes but since I was in 2wd and just beat Pony Xpress I was just sliding towards the wall. Just sliding along wondering how far into the stands am I going to go. I did hit it, but not bad enuff to crack the wall wide open like another driver did later that night. Half of you on this board WILL never drive a monster so instead you just HATE. So don't HATE, lets get together and work together and LEARN from this and lets not ARGUE. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO POST, DEN DON'T POST! Woof!

BACA
June 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Oh ya and after what happened in Ohio with me Calvin had my RII used after I cleared the last car EVERY run after the wall incident. I thought I was going over a few times, I had no power and just at the trucks mercy. but safety first eh? It was hard because I had the batterie die and so after a few runs I had to wait for a jump start. But hey I'll wait a MILLIONZILLION years for a jump start to save a life.

Trever Adamo
June 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I was there and sure do rember seeing this happen!!

carcrusher
June 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM
baca - i don't remember being forbidden to talk about the calvin incident except right when it happened.

bad medicine didn't become magnum force. it later became a truck called wild thing, i believe from the terry woodcock stable. magnum force was a complete new truck for van-loo, and was a patrick chassis.

and please, don't belittle us for discussing this. you don't make fun of world war 2 historians do you?

TeamMayhem
June 10th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Wild Thing was not a former VanLoo truck. It was wholly built and designed by Terry Woodcock in California, and has nothing to do with the VanLoo stable.

carcrusher
June 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM
really? hmm. i guess i'm mistaken. i was told it was the old cc2/bad medicine.

they sure do look the same though! :)

Diggerdude
June 10th, 2007, 09:37 PM
really? hmm. i guess i'm mistaken. i was told it was the old cc2/bad medicine.

they sure do look the same though! :)

i was told the same thing

Thunder Crasher
June 11th, 2007, 12:06 AM
It is, sorry to dismiss your information JasonCA, but Carcrusher is correct, Bad Medicine was sold to Terry Woodcock, repainted and renamed Wild Thing. This is conformed through Van Loo himself, as well as Woodcock, and most of the Industries historians(which mostly consists of a few of us mayhemers). Most likely if Terry said he built it, he probably meant he redid it and put it in the text that made it sound like he built it himself, I know a few drivers that have done that.

We were never forbidden to talk about Calvins incident, everyone was just extremely touchy on the subject because, well, it was an incident in a sport that doesn't have to many incidents like that. Alot of us didn't talk about it out of respect as well. Though, I think I might have been one of the first on here to suggest taking down the Tribute thread, because it was well over a year since it happened, and pretty much everyone here had paid there respects to him. But when I voiced my opinion to take it down, I got a few unhappy Private Messages. Didn't want to submit to a few people who didnt want to let go of something, and I know there opinion means something, but I did out of respect..

AND, some racing vehicles cannot use RII, due to the fact that on some of them if you kill the truck, it wont stop.

Seems like 88 was the year for mud racing incidents, around june or so springfield il jamboree had there incident costing 7 people there lives(and a later suicide) and they didnt race mud racers at any jamboree for nearly a year. Though, they didnt return to springfield until, NOW.

TeamMayhem
June 11th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Having just got off the phone with him, it turns out that I was speaking of a different truck of the same name.

He did acquire the VanLoo truck and renamed it and resold it. As it was said to me, "That truck had Karma."

You have to understand, that Terry had a hand in making SO many trucks, that it is difficult to keep up at times. Never-the-less, I was momentarily mistaken and apologize for the mix-up.

Now onto the other deal, about Calvin. I truly believe that the conversation all came to a point that the moderators had to acknowledge where they believed the context of the posts were going. I believe that they exercised good judgement with regards to posts about Calvin and the circumstances surrounding his death, and chose to re-direct the board accordingly.

It is very easy for someone who isn't a regular contributor to the board- to mistake redirection for aggravation.

Y'all have a good one-

Jason

InsanoRacer
June 11th, 2007, 02:06 AM
i was told that parts or some of the bad medicine truck became the original misbehavin'

can anyone confirm?

chad4208
June 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
i still didnt see the sled....this is a little off so i apologize but ...was that galloway? was this telivised? where is that clip from? tv production? it seems like it was meant for tv if galloway was in the announce booth...

Kouvre
June 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM
i still didnt see the sled....this is a little off so i apologize but ...was that galloway? was this telivised? where is that clip from? tv production? it seems like it was meant for tv if galloway was in the announce booth...

Well, since the clip was given to that news station from Bud Sports, I can only assume the event was meant to be televised, but never was for obvious reasons. And yes, that was Mike Galloway commentating that - without question the most surreal and scary moment of his career.

chad4208
June 12th, 2007, 01:32 PM
its almost funny...what galloway says...after u watch it a few times and knwo that everyon is ok.... almost...kind of....

Thunder Crasher
June 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I have watched this video a dozen times already, and I still cant tell if he went INTO the wall or just hit it and the car sorta wrapped around the wall crumpling up.

He does in fact have a burp of the throttle when he leaves the mud pit right before he strikes the sled and person.

71m07hySm17h
June 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Bah, they didn't air it like they showed it, they showed a clip but didn't do a special on it.

carcrusher
June 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM
dang i missed it.

it re-airs at midnight. don't miss it!!

Sinister '32
June 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Terry did build and campaign the Wild Thing fiberglass S-10 bodied tractor tired mud racer. It had an air bag suspension and 2.5 tons. He also crushed cars with it. There's photos on Taft's in the Tractor Tires section.

TeamMayhem
June 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
The funny thing is, that he only really crushed 3 cars with it. I was there that day, while he was posing for the camera. There is a lot that the camera didn't see that day.

That truck was ahead of it's time and truly was iconic for Mud Racing in the early 90's out here on the west coast.

Anywho-

In regard to the Jacob's comment made about the first "Misbehavin'" receiving parts from the "Bad Medicine" truck. There is truth there. Here is my input.

From my understanding, the "Bad Medicine" truck was eventually sold to Ken Krum- who completely rebuilt it into a more race appropriate truck. The new truck was called "Shark Attack". (BTW, Ken really had some innovative ideas.) The differentials from "Bad Medicine" went into a truck called "Plum Nuts".

"Shark Attack", later became "Misbehavin", but the body was switched to a Ford Ranger at that time. But where did the body go??

The original "Bad Medicine" Dodge Dakota body, (which I nearly bought) was last officially campaigned on Jim Creten's original "Bounty Hunter" (pre-S10). Not too many pictures of this truck, and it's a shame because it had a great Yosemite Sam airbrushed picture on the side of it.

The Dodge Dakota body was sold to Rod Mann, along with the original "Misbehavin" frame- who unfortunately lost the body on the interstate, due to high winds in transport and the body was destroyed when it was run over several times. (The tailgate was the only thing salvagable.)The original "Misbehavin" chassis still lives today. It's most recent form is, "Wild Mann".

This is not hearsay, but information I have been told directly from the people involved.

Hope this adds a bit of perspective. There is still a lot of inbetween left out intentionally, because it goes into other things.

Jason

ClassicMT
June 12th, 2007, 10:11 PM
dang i missed it.

it re-airs at midnight. don't miss it!!

What re-airs at midnight? Am I missing something that I don't want to miss?

carcrusher
June 12th, 2007, 10:24 PM
yeah. it was an episode of "cheating death" on fox reality channel. apparantly they just show a clip of it though rather than a feature story.

71m07hySm17h
June 12th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Fox Reality was airing a close mishaps show, it showed a clip that was this same incident, so I thought they were going to do a special on it. And they weren't, so that sucks.

Diggerdude
June 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM
what the heck is fox reality?

thelegendaryone
June 13th, 2007, 03:41 AM
fox.

Thunder Crasher
June 13th, 2007, 09:10 AM
From my understanding, the "Bad Medicine" truck was eventually sold to Ken Krum- who completely rebuilt it into a more race appropriate truck. The new truck was called "Shark Attack". (BTW, Ken really had some innovative ideas.) The differentials from "Bad Medicine" went into a truck called "Plum Nuts".

"Shark Attack", later became "Misbehavin", but the body was switched to a Ford Ranger at that time. But where did the body go??

The original "Bad Medicine" Dodge Dakota body, (which I nearly bought) was last officially campaigned on Jim Creten's original "Bounty Hunter" (pre-S10). Not too many pictures of this truck, and it's a shame because it had a great Yosemite Sam airbrushed picture on the side of it.
Jason

Wasnt Shark Attack Jimmy Cretens first truck though?? Because I remember hearing from a few people here(and the trivia thread) that Shark Attack was his and he then turned it into his first Bounty Hunter.

carcrusher
June 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM
i believe that jimmy bought the shark attack chassis and made it into bounty hunter. i don't think he ever campaigned the shark attack name though.

there's some footage of shark attack on the pontiac dvd - good stuff.

MonsterTruckLuvin
June 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
does anyone have a pic of the plum nuts truck that jimmy spoke of in the pontiac dvd?

Where is shark attack (timewise or clipwise) in the pontiac video?

What happened to mike and the Mud Shark mud racer? Totally off topic, sorry.

carcrusher
June 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
i believe shark attack is on the '95 show.

DiggerFan
June 17th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Relating to the Bad Medicine crash (which I'm pretty sure was mentioned earlier in this topic), I found some newspaper articles that were published that weekend, about the accident...

New York Times:

82-Year-Old Man Is Killed at Truck Show
Published: March 9, 1992

The police were investigating what caused a five-ton pickup to go out of control and crash into a crowd of spectators, killing one person and injuring several others.

An 82-year-man, Lester Gilliam of Lewiston, was crushed to death and at least seven others were hurt after the pickup truck with oversized tires, called Bad Medicine, rammed into bleachers at the Niagara Falls Convention Center at about 9:30 P.M. Saturday, officials said.

Mr. Gilliam picked up a 10-year-old boy and threw him out of the way of the truck just before he was hit, the Niagara County coroner told television station WIVB-TV in Buffalo. Mr. Gilliam had attended the show with his sons, who were standing in a pit area when he was killed, the station said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arkon Beacon Journal:

Monster Truck's Fatal Crash Investigated
Published: March 9, 1992

Police on Sunday, investigated the fatal crash of a five-ton `monster truck' that bounced out of control during a competition and veered suddenly before crashing into spectators. Monster trucks are customized vehicles equipped with oversized tires that compete indoors in short drag races. The truck nicknamed Bad Medicine crashed Saturday, at the Niagara Falls Convention Center, killing an 82-year-old man and injuring seven other spectators.

Thunder Crasher
June 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM
since we are on the topic, still, did anyone get hurt in that double rollover with Bigfoot vs Hercules, because Hercules looks to head towards the people at the end of the track, while Bigfoots got more open space to roll in.

carcrusher
June 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM
i have yet to hear any reports of any major injuries - an espn camera man got a few scratches, and an espn camera was destroyed but other than that i don't think many other people or things were harmed. tnt and hart productions were pretty good with their safety rules even back before the mtra specs.

Cactusjack1999
June 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Has anyone ever spoken to Mike about this accident and what was going through his head when it happened?

BTW DiggerFan... Video footage of the incident exists...but I think it's "unofficially" been banned here due to good taste.

chad4208
June 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM
i think what was going through his head is that they just killed people... :(