Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

American flags on monster trucks

Members do not see advertisements
    This is truck related.
    A little background...
    I am a Christian, therefore I don't believe in worshipping objects. American flag is an object, but I still do believe in respecting what it stands for by observing flag ettiquette (sp?).... example-you should not let the flag touch the ground when handling it. My point, I have seen multiple shots and videos of monster trucks carrying the American flag on the rear of the truck and dragging it on the ground when doing wheelies (or whatever else stands the truck on end). I am talking about real flags, not flags incorporated into paint jobs. Does this bother anyone else besides me? Put the flag on during a parade lap or national anthem, out of respect, take it off during the show, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand both sides but the minute you do that you can say it is disrespectful to run an American flag body wrap and it gets into a wreck destroying the body.
    Michael King, fan of Monster Trucks since birth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont thinks its disrespectful at all I would carry the american flag on my trucks where ever i would go, First thing i would do if my truck where to flip over is run to the back and pick the flag up in a heart beat - Jack williman had class with the american flag putting them on as he would start crushing pulling or mudding in front of the crowd Honestly I think every american truck should carry the flag PPL fight for this country and im gonna show them that im 100% american and thanking them.
    Last edited by MCMsports; January 5th, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Mikey E. Comerford ( B I G Mouth ) MCMsports Where Fliptop trucks are Welcome !

Post Thanks / Like
    I think American flag etiquet applies to real flags, not depictions of flags like paint jobs or wraps, I could be wrong. I am not saying don't carry them. Please do! Carry them while displaying, parading, during the national anthem, slow or non moving stuff. Take it off for competition or expedition when you might dunk/smash it in the dirt. My 6th grade class was responsible for putting up the flag in the morning and taking it down at the end of the day. We learned how to handle respectfully, don't let it touch the ground, how to fold it, more stuff I don't remember. I hope this stuff is still taught in school. My point is, letting the flag touch the ground is DISRESPECTFUL to what the flag stands for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been educated somewhat on flag etiquet. I do know there is a huge difference between an actual American Flag that would be used in a color guard, or hung on a flag pole and say a smaller flag that you would see in a parade or what not. Obviously all etiquet rules apply to the actual flags, but for the smaller parade flags and what not it is not really as big of a deal. I would say the flags on the back of the trucks would be thrown into the parade flag categorie and don't see a huge problem with it, but I do see your side as well.

I love seeing the flag displayed personally, and I don't think it dishonors it. So more power to the drivers who run American flags.
    Matt Sorensen

---2011 Shows---
    January 7-9 Council Bluffs, Iowa (Monster Jam)
    February 4-5 Fargo, North Dakota (Monster Jam)

I support Feld Motorsports and Bill Payne in Rockstar! Don't like it? Too bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont like seeing the flags touch the ground either, monster trucks or any other way

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally have lots of flag etiquette training as a boy scout, and don't like to see flags touching the ground. Personally my favorite time for someone to show patriotism is during the intros. I also have liked the racing series who do the parade laps with flags for all the cars. Wraps, graphics, ect are not flags, thus don't worry about them.
    Jump or Pull I must go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    This is truck related.
    A little background...
    I am a Christian, therefore I don't believe in worshipping objects. American flag is an object, but I still do believe in respecting what it stands for by observing flag ettiquette (sp?).... example-you should not let the flag touch the ground when handling it. My point, I have seen multiple shots and videos of monster trucks carrying the American flag on the rear of the truck and dragging it on the ground when doing wheelies (or whatever else stands the truck on end). I am talking about real flags, not flags incorporated into paint jobs. Does this bother anyone else besides me? Put the flag on during a parade lap or national anthem, out of respect, take it off during the show, please.
    There are certain conversations I stay away from- but this one I'll chime in on.

My respect for the American Flag, came from my father- who was a Vietnam Veteran and a heck of a guy. From a young age, I was taught that the flag should NEVER touch the ground. It's a symbol of freedom- and you always show respect to the people who live and die to protect it, by keeping it off the ground.

So, I have lived by that motto. Several others of you do too- for similar or different reasons.

Take note- that this truck in the 1980's (and yes, I'm biased)- wore the flag, mid-ship. The mount for this flag, was built for Cyclops by my dad. The original owner, Gary- knew that my dad would build a perfect mount, which would securely hold a flag, regardless of vibration or agitation.

And it did.

It would be important for all team owners, to consider the manner in which they present the colors of this nation. Mount the flag in a manner, where you'll know it will stay. If you have a doubt, don't run it. It's better to not make 100 Veterans angry in a crowd, than to give them a reason to.

Fly the colors, but be willing to understand WHY they never drop- and be prepared to back it up.

That is all..
    Jason Rivas
    Victim of a Monster Thief

Post Thanks / Like
    To me the flag is a representation of all the people who live, have lived, died for, labored, etc. for this country. It is the only way to represent a photo album too big to fit anywhere, and to drag a picture of someone through the dirt, run over it, etc. is a sign of disrespect.

I think all too often we view the flag as representing our ambiguous government when in fact it represents the individuals who make this country what it is. Nobody I know would run over a picture of their mom in front of a large group of people and say that they were doing it to show respect.

Accidents happen, flags touch the ground, get dirty, but to intentionally or carelessly do so does seem wrong in my book.

-Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Members do not see advertisements
    Flags are flags, I don't think paint/ wraps should abide by the rules of the flag. I think all instances where the flag could be put in harm's way should be avoided. It does bother me when a flag touches the ground that is attached near the tailgate.
    I had a 3x5 flag on the rollbar of a truck I used to have. It got a lot of positive attention around town. One day, I found out 35mph was the max speed before it let loose. I felt like crap for letting it touch the ground, but I was thankful only one person saw it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information