Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bullfrog Monster Truck

Members do not see advertisements
    These are some pictures from the mid 1980s of the monster truck Bullfrog (also known as the Mississippi Bullfrog). The truck was built in the early 1980s by Loden's Body Shop in Amory, MS. The owner was Farrell Loden and the driver was the late Junior Maxey. The truck did lots of local events and traveled some around the south (Tennesse, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc...) They also competed in a few local TNT events. The truck has competed against some noteables such as Bigfoot, Stomper, Clydesdale, No Problem, and Casper to name a few. However, the truck has been sitting rusting away since the early 1990s after someone tried to file law suit against the owner. The truck was sold in 2006 for around $5,000 to a gentleman in Fairview, MS. The new owner has basically dismantled the truck and as of a few months ago nothing has been done to restore the truck.
    Attachment 2654

Attachment 2655

Attachment 2656
    Last edited by TeamMayhem; January 7th, 2010 at 05:00 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics, always wanted to see that truck. If you have anything else from the 80's, please post it.

I am glad you enjoyed the pics. I will have to pull out the old photo album and scan some pics, but I will put a few more pics up in the near future. I have a few more pics of the Bullfrog (for some reason none crushing cars or racing!) and I do have a few old TNT pics (particularly night 2 @ Freedom Hall 1990 - the last TNT event ever).

BTW the pics of the Bullfrog floating in the water was taken in the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway in Amory, MS.

Being that your from Mississippi you wouldn't happen to have any pics of the other 2 trucks that Dale Harris of Casper owned do you...I really been wanting to see his Land Cruiser for sometime now...None the less those pics of Bull Frog are awsome I haven't seen very many pics of that truck...wonder what running gear it had in those pics by the lug pattern looks like old timken running gear...

Those are by far the best pictures i've seen of Bull Frog. awesome post!
    Shawn Hunsicker
    www.ProTruckChallenge.com
    Owner
    Monster Jam Track Crew

yeah, thanks for posting those pics. "Bullfrog" is a truck that did not have much exposure in the mainstream media. I would sure love to see more of it, and learn more about it.

Rich
    Old school monster truckin maniac.

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Wow, those pics are great!! The guy who bought the truck back in 2006 was he planning on restoring it? Do you have any pics of the truck when it was sold? Thanks very much for sharing.
    Mike Krieger

Old Skool Monsters Rule!!!

Being as I was there at Night 2 Freedom Hall 1990, I would really like to see those pics.

Heres mine.

I would have better quality but my scanner went kaput so I had to take these with my digital camera. My mom took those as I was only 3 and had no idea how to use a camera... I was too awestruck.
    Brandon Clark

The automatic transmission is soley responsible for the wussification of America.

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Anyway we can get this thread moved over to the old skool section? Or would tnt_motorsports mind it being moved over there?
    Mike Krieger

Old Skool Monsters Rule!!!

Members do not see advertisements
    Hey I am glad you guys are enjoying the pics. I cannot remember any specific specs at the moment about the Bullfrog. The truck was built around 1983 or so. The workers at Loden's Body Shop built the truck from photos they saw in other magizines. The owner kept updating the truck through the years, but money and technology got to be too much. I remember the owner telling me about a show they did in Louisiana back in the 80's. He said they finished second that night to Bigfoot, however the promoter only paid Bigfoot. The Bullfrog and other trucks in attendance did not get a penny. Needless to say they and the others were upset. I do have some recent pics of the Bullfrog in its current dismantled state. It is sad to see the truck today. It was certainly the pride and joy of the Amory & Tupelo, MS area during its time. Before the truck was sold a few years ago, it was in somewhat decent shape. The original owner kept it stored under a roof for about 15 years. The owner loved the truck, but was forced to park it forever when someone tried to file lawsuit for slipping and falling around the truck. That itself is a long story, but it is just another example of a poor member of our society trying to get money from someone over nothing.

JonC5, sorry but I do not have any pics of the Casper, just some memories of watching it perform at the Mississippi/Alabama Fair in Tupelo, MS in the late 80's and early 90's (both the Toyota and '57 Chevy). There was also two other Mississippi trucks during this era that I saw perform (although no photos). Blaze of Glory (I think it was from the Meridian, MS area) and the Dream Master driven by Gary Stepp (I think it was from the Jackson, MS area).

BowtieBandit, those are some good pics from Freedom Hall. I was actually sitting almost straight across from you that night. That was a great night of racing. I actually went to the event as a guest of Bennett Clark. I was only ten years old at the time, but he made it a memorable trip. I even got to ride in his truck the previous weekend at a car crush in Calhoun, GA. My monster truck photos are stored away at my parents house, but the next time I go and visit I will get some posted on here.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information