Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Semi Registered as RV

Members do not see advertisements
    Ok guys I am in the process of getting a Semi bought (should be finalized early next week). But before I want to get all the information on how everyone is registering the normal 72'' sleeper trucks as RV's. We will eventually be pulling a van trailer with 14' of living quarters. But at first we will be pulling a 38' gooseneck. So what all does the DMV require? What should we tell them? I have been reading alot of RV forums and there is about 100 different answers so I figured I would ask the people that are doing the same thing as me. Any and all info on this topic will be helpful. Also how long did this re-titling process take. I also know lots of people without CDL's. but do you need an airbrake endorsement? Or since its am RV you dont. Thanks for reading guys and gals!

Your best bet is to join the Escapee's Site and post in this forum.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

There is more information and people there that can guide you through the process that will give you factual informaiton then any other place on the net.

But beware as soon as you make money with your setup becuase you are pulling a monster truck you will be considered commercial in the eyes of DOT. Even if you claim hobby, and they decide to search the trailer and see stickers or names of companies on your truck your flagged (even if it is your own company) The only way they can not search the motor home is to make sure it is registered as a coach.

Again the people in that forum specialize in this sort of conversion and know way more about the laws governing each state as well as DOT.
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

One thing i found out was never ever volnetarly open your trailer up. if asked to, request a search warrent and the reson why in writeing. I use to tow with a ford van motorhome would get stoped because state dot would see all the stickers on the back door and assume that i was a circle track/drag racer (i had a show car) and want to see what had and what they could write me up for. my trailer was titled as an rv and i would state to them that it was my privete residendece and as such it was protected under the 4th amendment of the constution. 9 times out of 10 they would tell me to get out of there.
    If you are doing it for $$, i would title it as a motor coach (cheaper ins.)and be legal about it. Here in michigan you can do a change of body on the title. It will need to inspected( i have heard of people just walking in, filling out a paper stating that they added a bed, fresh water,toilet,stove, and heat to it and getting it changed) to see if the right things have been added , and then the title is amended. each state is diff on the rules do this change, but if you do this change of title make sure you have every thing your home state is requires for this in place while you are using it or you may be charged with false titleing if you get stop and inspected.
    One other thing i learned was to carry photo copies of the titles to both my hauler and trailer that showed they were rv's to help out with the inspection and search issues
    Last edited by blazentrout; January 16th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

Better safe than sorry...get a CDL, I asked my my cop friend about registering my Volvo as an RV and he said "If it looks like a semi, then eventually you will get pulled over for an inspection"
    One of the 10 or more fines that you get that day will more than pay for the cost of doing it legal the first time and just getting a CDL, not to mention that you wont be allowed to move your rig that day until a CDL driver shows up to drive it back for you,
    I`m actually in the process of getting mine now. You can go to the BMV and ask for a free study booklet

I totally agree with Randy, get a CDL.

I spend my days behind the wheel of a Freightliner and have seen things you wouldn't believe.....

There is just something about a person being able to drive a vehicle that has the same specs as a commercial over the road tractor without having to pass a specialized driving test.

Better to be safe than sorry.

there are loops to jump both of my haulers are out of washington state. laws states any vehical can be re titled as a rv. as long as
    its a hard bodied shell
    a way to cook food (microwave)
    a way to store food( fridge)
    a way to go to the bathroom ( porta john)
    sleeps one comfortable
    and those items must be accessable from the drivers compartment
    ( no boxes on the back of a u haul)
    there are other small details like the trailer has to be registered as a 53' enclosed car trailer not a semi trailer.
    i took both trucks to the state inspection station had them inspect that all items where there they gave me a form that i took to the d.o.l. and from that point on i have had a motorhome.
    i used to pull into all the scales and got more trouble then running them. i get chassed 2 or 3 time a year mostly from my own state. never had a problem when i do get chassed be NICE and have all you facts cause its the first time they have ever heard of it normally. Dont be a DICK it just makes them pissed and gets you nowhere. i tell them i have monster trucks in the back. you dont have to lie about that. as long as your doing it for points and trophys your fine. they will ask you what you do that lets you have a monster truck as a toy so come up with something good.

Re: Semi Registered as RV

Hey straightup is your tractor just a standard sleeper or do you have a toter box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aismotorsports View Post
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very kewl to know this is working!!!
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

It's a stand up double bunk, not sure on the size.
    Brandon Clark

The automatic transmission is soley responsible for the wussification of America.

Rv cdl

Members do not see advertisements
    All the drag racers tried that trick in the 90's. It's a truck if its combined weight is over 26000 you need a CDL and all the other stuff log book , drug test, health card ECT. You can write RV on it but when you blow by a scale you are going to see blue lights in your mirror

A F-350 with a goose neck with a combined weight over 26000 # is considered a CDL class A now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information