Page 1 of 165 1231151101 ... LastLast

*Official* Southern Sunshine/Cajun King Thread

Members do not see advertisements
    Alright guys, so today I met with Glenn for about a hour to check out the trucks and listen to a few stories. I am going to try to tell a story as I post up pictures I took today. First off I want to say thanks to Glenn for letting this happen. And also thanks to Mart for building these machines, upon talking to Glenn today I learned that I myself act if not the same but close to the same as Mart, so I would like to think at this moment Mart is looking down at us, saying "Way to go guys, and thank you for not forgetting about me." I know we have been discussing the ages of the trucks, and this is what Glenn told me. He said Sunshine was built between 1982 and 1983. He said at this time Mart knew nothing about other Monster Trucks, and did not use pictures to build one. Like other trucks, Sunshine was built because of a dare. Glenn went on to say that Cajun King was built in 1985, and was billed as the worlds largest Caddy. He said a building down the road try to beat them, but their Caddy didn't run '66's. I also asked about the tow vehicle for Shawn and Glenn said it was sold, but only after it was painted white.(Request from his parents).

Here is the first picture/glimpse I got today of Southern Sunshine

Then I was crushed to see this is what happened to Cajun King..

Glenn wanted me to pull yalls leg with that one, here is the King.

Here are some various shots from Sunshine..

And a few Various of Cajun King..

Motor from Sunshine..

Motor from King, and then the original motor that came out of King..

Last edited by isonater911; January 22nd, 2010 at 02:39 AM.
    Matt Ison
    Southern Sunshine Racing Crew Member/ Driver of Cajun King
    Matthew Ison Photography
    Southern Sunshine and Cajun King HAVE rose again!

Next up are the original headers off sunshine..

Then Glenn brought me into Mart's office to show me a few things..like a drawing of the truck..

One of the original front fenders from the truck. Glenn went on to say the truck had never had an accident, just the old bed and front got tore up crushing cars and the tires eating them up..

Then he showed me a few of Mart's trophies.

Finally he showed me the Louisiana State flag, and the confederate flags that always hung from the trucks. Yes they are the same ones from all the old pictures of Southern Sunshine.

We then walked back into the shop and I asked him about the hook up on the back of the truck, and asked him if Mart ever pulled sleds. He said it was to help the other trucks when they would break, because Mart was that kind of a guy.

He then showed me "baby" Sunshine. His parents asked that it be re-painted so this is what it looks like today.

Finally I took a photo of this bumper sticker on Sunshine that I LOVED.

Glenn then went on to tell me a story about one time when they went to Indy for a Jambo 1984 he thinks. He said that a guy had interest in buying the truck, and him and Mart talked things over in the motor home and Mart came out. Glenn and the crew asked Mart if it was a good amount of money, and Mart said "Yes, a GOOD amount of money" Glenn said "enough for us to get rich and load this goose neck up with hay bales and beer?" Mart said yes, and Glenn asked why didn't you sell it. Mart replied "Because I still have things in store for the truck." At that moment I almost started to tear up, because I was already touching the airbrushing of Sunshine on the side of the truck. I then told Glenn "Now that you tell me that story, I have no idea what Mart had planned for the truck, but now we have to do something with em. Its what he would want." Then Glenn replied "I want to, I want them back to how they used to be, its how they are ment to be kept." Then he went on to say,"its like I told the guys on the board, maybe the South may rise again." Today was an awesome day, for sure one of the best ones I have had in the past 3 or so years. I look forward to talking to Glenn more and learning more about the trucks and Mart. I will do anything I can do to help get these trucks back running, and to have a rolling memorial for Mart. I never met the man, but touching his trucks and dwelling on things while admiring them, I KNOW I have to not only preserve monster truck and Louisiana history, but I feel that I owe Mart something, and that is to spread the word of him and his trucks to everyone. Boy I truly honestly, wish I would have been around to meet Mart. He sounded like one helluva guy to hangout with, talk to, and slam back a few cold ones with.

Here is my photobucket link, which has more pictures I took today, such as the frame and loads of other stuff. The trucks have their own album, so I say bookmark it, because everything I do picture wise as far as the trucks go will be put there. [ame="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/angerinc8604/Southern%20Sunshine/"]Southern Sunshine pictures by angerinc8604 - Photobucket[/ame]

Also what do Glenn and I have to do to get some of those colorful user names. Him now being the owner of the trucks, and me being a crew member?
    Last edited by isonater911; January 22nd, 2010 at 02:34 AM.
    Matt Ison
    Matthew Ison Photography

Wow.... Just wow!!!! This is so great to see. When i read these trucks were found an seen the old bed sitting outside rusting away i had a bad feeling the trucks were in bad shape. I also was hoping someone would pick them up along the way an do the right thing, Cleaning them up an put something together for mart. BUT With further reading it seems there in a great home an also keeping the trucks in the family of mart is just so!!! great to hear. Also the trucks look like they have been frozen in time besides a little serface rust an needing a good detailing an draining an replacing all fluids, There ready to go. I hope that they can be cleaned up a bit an do a tribute to mart. I hope i can help in anyway, I would be tickled pink an sleep so good at night knowing i helped in some way on the "KING" an "SUNSHINE". I may not be able to be there an help turn a wrench, But if i could donate money to the trucks (AND KNOW THE CASH WENT INTO THE TRUCKS) I would be all for it. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by extreme racing View Post
    Wow.... Just wow!!!! This is so great to see. When i read these trucks were found an seen the old bed sitting outside rusting away i had a bad feeling the trucks were in bad shape. I also was hoping someone would pick them up along the way an do the right thing, Cleaning them up an put something together for mart. BUT With further reading it seems there in a great home an also keeping the trucks in the family of mart is just so!!! great to hear. Also the trucks look like they have been frozen in time besides a little serface rust an needing a good detailing an draining an replacing all fluids, There ready to go. I hope that they can be cleaned up a bit an do a tribute to mart. I hope i can help in anyway, I would be tickled pink an sleep so good at night knowing i helped in some way on the "KING" an "SUNSHINE". I may not be able to be there an help turn a wrench, But if i could donate money to the trucks (AND KNOW THE CASH WENT INTO THE TRUCKS) I would be all for it. Let me know.
    Well the fluids were drained 24 years ago, so all they need to do is be replaced. There wasn't much surface rust on em, mainly a few lines that need to be fixed and give em a good clean up. As far as to donate money, the man you need to talk to is G-MAN he owns em. And you are totally right about being frozen in time, because that is exactly what they are. I think once Glenn and I dive head first and get the gears going, you guys are going to be thrilled...
    Matt Ison
    Matthew Ison Photography

Quote Originally Posted by isonater911 View Post
    Well the fluids were drained 24 years ago, so all they need to do is be replaced. There wasn't much surface rust on em, mainly a few lines that need to be fixed and give em a good clean up. As far as to donate money, the man you need to talk to is G-MAN he owns em. And you are totally right about being frozen in time, because that is exactly what they are. I think once Glenn and I dive head first and get the gears going, you guys are going to be thrilled...
    Well il send him a pm, I would love to see them all fresh again they hold so much memories for the family as well as there own place in the history of monster trucks i did not get a chance to meet mart but from what i have herd he's just one of the guys you could kick back an have a beer with, Just an all around great guy, Im excited:thumbsup: :thumbsup:. I hope the family is all for doing this. I would be honored to do this for my family.

Matt, You are a truly awesome dude to meet. Guys his enthusiasm was unreal when he put his hands on both trucks because in reality he really could not beleive he was actually standing in a time warp. You did a fantastic job to re-introduce these trucks to the world as they were 26 years ago. I told Matt that mart was probably the youngest guy on the circuit 23-24 years old with a balls to the wall attitude. His famous saying was NO GUTS- NO GLORY! My sincere thanks to Matt for being a class act! And we have only just begun. Thank you to Extreme racing for your reply and it will take some time for all of this to happen because Hurricane Rita, Gustav and Ike were not good for me. THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Unbelievable!!! I can remember 3 short years ago when I joined this forum Matt and I got talking briefly about the whereabouts of Southern Sunshine and Cajun King. I can recall someone saying that when he finds them it will be like the scene in Back to the Future III when Marty and Doc go recover the DeLorean in the cave. That was not a under statement. This is amazing that after all theses years seeing these trucks today. So I take it we will once again see these trucks sit high on their 66"s? I am sure right now Mart is looking down on you guys proud that his trucks are being seen again. I look forward to seeing great things come out of this!! Good job gentlemen!!!
    Mike Krieger

Old Skool Monsters Rule!!!

All I can say is thank you thank you to Matt for the pictures and the hard work and to Glenn for letting matt take pictures. just awesome.
    Ed Hoormann
    Allmonster.com Beyond The Lens Host

My heart is so filled with joy, I hope it does not explode! All of you are unbeleivable for such kind responses. You cannot imagine how I feel to see how much this means to me. Being brothers we were very different, me being more business oriented and mart being care free. I looked for the future and he would say his future was in front of you today. Thankall of you guys!

Members do not see advertisements
    I've loved the MT's since I could remember. And these two trucks where 2 of my favorite along with Awesome Kong and Bigfoot 3 and few others. I think that would be a great idea to donate money to get these cleaned up and see these two beautiful trucks (sorry cars too. LOL) out there on the showroom floor again.

I bet even 25 year later they can take home some 1st place prizes in car shows.

Page 1 of 165 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information