Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bigfoot Body Colour - Patent?

Members do not see advertisements
    I remembered this a few weeks ago and never got a response.

The actual colour of the Bigfoot bodies.... is that patented or not? I remember years ago when I did a few models that the paint could not be replicated since there was a patent or something. The closes colour to it was called "sapphire blue metal flake." I still have the can... though its dried up. I seem to remember DuPont being a big sponsor at one time.

Anyone know anything about this? Am I just making this up?
    Defender of the Faith \m/

bigfoot was sponsored by either dupont or basf at one point if i'm not mistaken - with the rm diamont paint stuff that was advertised in the bigfoot video magazine.

or, just call it Bigfoot Blue.
    Matt Stoltz

Quote Originally Posted by stormrider_67 View Post
    I remembered this a few weeks ago and never got a response.

The actual colour of the Bigfoot bodies.... is that patented or not? I remember years ago when I did a few models that the paint could not be replicated since there was a patent or something. The closes colour to it was called "sapphire blue metal flake." I still have the can... though its dried up. I seem to remember DuPont being a big sponsor at one time.

Anyone know anything about this? Am I just making this up?
    Alright, here's some information for you about Bigfoot's color... as it's something I've had to research myself.

A close family friend, who loves Monster Trucks as much as I do- (or tries to at least) needed some help in order to find the "Bigfoot Blue" color so he could paint his boat the same color. So we went to work. I was once told that the color is a 'stock 1974 Ford color' and there was nothing special about it- which made it Bigfoot Blue.

I acquired a 1974 Ford Paint Book- which had a small variety of blues to choose from. I found that the closest match was called "Medium Bright Blue Metallic".

Depending on your locality- it may be hard to come by. However with today's technology- you can have it custom mixed to fit your specific need.
    Jason Rivas
    Victim of a Monster Thief

1974 Ford Blues that are similar to Bigfoot Blue
    Medium Metallic

Medium Bright Metallic

Bright Dark Blue Metallic

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1974_ford_colors.php
    There was once a truck pull in the astrodome in which many believed Bigfoot 4 did not leave the line. The reality of the situation is that Bigfoot 4 was chained the the astrodome and moved the entire facility 300 feet.

You can't "patent" a color. You can trademark a specific color, but you can't "patent" one or copyright it.

Just clarifying is all.

Also according to an archived copy of the Bigfoot website's FAQ they list the color as officially being "1974 Ford Truck Code F, Dupont 5467"
    Last edited by Cactusjack1999; May 6th, 2010 at 03:50 AM.

Cactus-

I had run across that color code info before- and it came to a dead end. In other words, DuPont didn't offer a color or mix recipe for duplication. (Actually, the paint shop contacted their DuPont representative and it was confirmed that there was no such item.)

I had a friend of mine ship me a Bigfoot body panel he had in his collection- and we took it and the color samples outside and in the sun and opted to choose the color we did.

It's one of those elusive deals- that in one breath can be aggravating and in another- be cool. Just one of those things that makes 'Bigfoot' as unique as it is.
    Jason Rivas

Jason- Believe me I looked for it myself and turned up dead ends left and right as well.

They acctually changed the color on the page a few years later to it's "current" shade, and then eventually removed the color listing entirely.

I know after bigfoot 14 or so they changed the color on the real truck to a lighter shade with a pearlesence and listed that as the "official" color.

The real problem is that the shade acctually changes depending on how ya look at the truck itself. How the lighting is in teh photograph or the video tape.

Thanks guys for shedding some light on this. It's been on my mind for ages and it only came to me a few weeks ago to ask someone here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactusjack1999 View Post
    Jason- Believe me I looked for it myself and turned up dead ends left and right as well.

They acctually changed the color on the page a few years later to it's "current" shade, and then eventually removed the color listing entirely.

I know after bigfoot 14 or so they changed the color on the real truck to a lighter shade with a pearlesence and listed that as the "official" color.

The real problem is that the shade acctually changes depending on how ya look at the truck itself. How the lighting is in teh photograph or the video tape.
    I hear ya. I'm in the process of making a switch to Ford from Chevrolet- and I'm thinking of painting my personal truck "Bigfoot Blue" and making my own 2010 Bigfoot Cruiser- once it's in hand.

At least you and I will have a really good idea of what the paint color will look like.
    Jason Rivas

Members do not see advertisements
    Jason if you take that project on... post some pics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information