Mega Truck vs. Monster Truck

Members do not see advertisements
    What are the major, definite differences between the two? Where do you draw the line? Is there even a line to be drawn?

Could a monster compete in a Mega Truck competition, and/or vice versa?

Obviously I know they're different. I'm trying to put this in a way that someone not familiar with these would understand.

Let's get this started.
    "I'm made of metal
    My circuits gleam,
    I am perpetual,
    I keep the country clean."
    -Judas Priest
    "Electric Eye"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...89&ref=profile

im sure there have been a mt or two at a tgw event. otherwise, the 66" tires are the answer. if one has them, it can be classified as a mt.
    monster truck fan for over 20 years. man i'm old.
    "Posts means nothing, it's all about knowledge."
    bacardi 151, 75% alcohol, 25% filler.
    "UGH, MY GOOD CHINA!" "dishes done."

Really the biggest difference i see is at a safety stand point.
    If it is possible, then it is done.........
    If it is impossible, then it WILL be done. Evel Knievel

Most of the mud trucks I have seen dont have planataries or supercharged like a MT

Who would win in a fight: A silverback gorilla or a polar bear???? :P

6. Mega vs. Monster

Quote Originally Posted by BATTLEMOUNTAINman View Post
    What are the major, definite differences between the two? Where do you draw the line? Is there even a line to be drawn?

Could a monster compete in a Mega Truck competition, and/or vice versa?

Obviously I know they're different. I'm trying to put this in a way that someone not familiar with these would understand.

Let's get this started.
    Well there is footage out there of the old Taurus #3 running tractor tires at DA's Muddy Motorsports Park and one of Steve Simms trucks (also on tractor tires) getting HUGE air and doing an endo at DA's Muddy Motorsports Park also.

So we know MT's can and do cross over to the Mega world.

As for Megas coming to the MT side, well that's a different story. There are a growing number using DOM tubing and full cages on their trucks now. It's nice to see that. But if you look at the cradles on many of them, they just wouldn't hold up to the punishment. They work great with deuce axles and tractor tires, but, throw a planetary axle and 66's on there and the the loads on the suspension are getting much higher than what the Megas go through. Adam with Adam's off road has made the cross over and has done some crushing with his truck on 66's. He would be able to expand further on this, but, honestly when I look at the trucks on TGW I see a majority of Megas that wouldn't be able to handle the stresses, or pass safety inspections to run at MOST MT shows.

Adam's Facebook. Videos are in his photo album

Here is Simm's Truck in the mud with tractor tires

Here is Storm Damage (Taurus #3) in the mud

Raised in Lincoln/Warsaw Missouri. Currently in Licking Missouri
    The newest bunch of megatrucks out racing are extremely well built machines. But they are made for something totally different than monstertrucks. Dennis didn't build KingSling like GD, he built it light, with smaller axles, smaller tubing, smaller tires. They are two different animals. Most of the racing megatrucks are running tires even smaller than KingSlings.
    JIM MACE
    http://flickr.com/photos/hawgwild/sets/

Of course I think Im always right. Why would I say something if I thought I was wrong??

I agree, a lot of these mega trucks are much more suited for something like the Swedish Monsterrace series rather than any kind of "traditional" monster truck shows that go on in the States.
    No matter how stupid Mayhem gets, it's ALWAYS a source of entertainment, even if the entertainment is unintentional.

Members do not see advertisements
    That's a vague line. In reality if it's on 66's it's a monster truck, but in that you need to define the word "Monster Truck" To me a real monster truck has a steel body and is more like a truck. Todays "monster trucks" are not even a truck it's tube buggy on 66's. And there are quite a few mega's being built that are reaching toward what is considered todays monster trucks but they more geared to what the monsters of the Penda and TNT monsters were like, light and fast but very few if none at all have anywhere near the safety equipment the current monsters use. And of course there are the jalopies that are just slapped together that are no good for anything other than driving through a mud hole, but if that's it's sole purpose then it's more than adequate.
    Checkout www.adamsoffroadperformance.com for all your mudtruck and monstertruck axle and suspension needs. And if we don't have it we can make it.

Thread Information