Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kids and Monster Trucks.

Members do not see advertisements
    I saw this quote on another forum here. "Kids associates with the trucks, NOT the drivers and let's face it, the kids are the ones who are the ones who mainly moves the industry because the kids goto the shows and the families have to take them."

Is it me or is anyone else tired of this excuse as to why we cant have good quality Monster Truck shows anymore. If your not sure what I'm talking about, go to the thread called "What do you miss most." My kids love monster trucks because I got them involved. They got to the shows because I go, not the other way around. They watch it on T.V. because I watch it. The last show I went too cost my 300 dollars for tickets, food, souveniers, gas, film, and film developement. I dont know too many adults that would spend hunderds of dollars to got to a show just for their kids, unless they were interested themselves.

It seems like everywhere we turn now, whether it be Monster Trucks, Nascar, Wrestling, or new crappy Monster Jam video games, We have to hear about the kids and how their doing whatever they do for the kids. What about us adults, Were the ones spending the money. I bought all 3 monster jam games, not for my kids but for me.

A lot of the things kids do is because their parents do it, not the other way around. Yes, the kids are the ones who play with the toys, but usually after their parents either took them to a show or watched it on T.V.

There used to be rivalries, excitement, Army Armstong could make any race sound like its the most important race ever, There were drivers talking about how bad the just wanted to win, not for the kids, but for bragging rights that you beat the best. They did their talking on the track. Dennis Anderson used to talk about how he was going to take his old junk and dig you a grave with it, and how bad he just wanted to beat Bigfoot. Now he just talks about how he loves Tom Meents and the other drivers, and "does it for the fans," It used to be about winning, Now it doesn't matter whether you win or lose as long as the kids like you.

I agree. Although, having monster trucks being appealing to kids, isn't necessary a bad thing, I think it can be done (and done well) even without some of the childish "gimmicks" you may see nowadays. I think I can speak for myself, that when I got into monster trucks, it was during the late TNT and early Penda series. That was real, legit racing, with some serious rivalries at times. I loved every minute of it, and I didn't need to be "lured into" the sport by some childish themes or gimmicks... Just my 2 cents.

Big, loud, fast trucks running over and smashing cars. That's like every little boy's dream, and thats all you need for kids to be compelled.
    Robbie Milburn...yeah, thats about it.

I just wanted to point out that its just not the kids who are involved in monster trucks. Its more likely that the parents got the kids involved than the other way around.

Well, if you think about it speed channel isn't really a childrens channel so something has to happen. What got me into it is my dad watching nascar, taking me to races, going mudding, four wheeler riding, etc so in turn I loved motorsports and then I was flipping channels and in around 1999-2000 I saw a huge truck on tv racing and I thought it was about the coolest thing ever. Then it said there would be a show in Wheeling, WV about an hour or two away and I bugged my mom forever to take me and then we went and saw Paul Stender launch Bulldozer to the moon and break the axle and then I was hooked for life.
    Robbie Milburn...yeah, thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rainyday290 View Post
    I saw this quote on another forum here. "Kids associates with the trucks, NOT the drivers and let's face it, the kids are the ones who are the ones who mainly moves the industry because the kids goto the shows and the families have to take them."
    Total BS. Its not a Hannah Montana concert... no one is being dragged and i can say with certainty over 95% of the crowd wants to be there.
    The kids know the drivers... they are a personality just like the truck. I've talked to 5-10 year olds and its scary how much they know about the drivers and the truck itself.
    Defender of the Faith \m/

I knew the difference between Jim Kramer, Andy Brass and Bob Chandler when I was 3 years old.

I also got into the sport at the height of when the USHRA was backed by a major tobacoo company as well as alcohol companies, and it's just something you learn to grow up with as a race fan. And you know what? I don't drink or smoke so don't think that every little kid does those things because they saw them at a monster truck show. If they do, their parents should know what their kids are doing instead of pushing the blame on the entertainment they took the kids to see.

For me, it's more about me being sick of hearing "it's all about the fans" - for once, I'd love to hear someone go out and say "I did it because I really wanted to win, because this is a competition." When there is competition, fans gravitate towards it and in my opinion it is much more entertaining than watching guys go out and dump their equipment "for the fans"
    Matt Stoltz

In some cases people associate with the truck and not the driver and other times it is the other way around. When I first saw Captain's Curse, I liked it for the pirate paint scheme (and hated it for replacing BlackSmith.) However, when I was growing up most trucks only had one driver except Bigfoot or Bearfoot or other trucks when the main driver was injured or sick. Nowadays, you have multiple Grave Diggers, Maximum Destructions, El Toros, Grinders, Iron Man, Monster Mutts(forgetting Dalmatian and Rottweiler,) Bigfoot, Bounty Hunter, and Stone Crusher trucks. Let's remember that until the past three or so years you only saw maybe Pablo and Charlie in their Diggers on the Speed shows if it was not Dennis. So unless you went to the local shows and saw a Gary Porter, Charlie, Randy, Chad or Rod in the show, you did not get to really know the personality of the driver. Now you see Randy Brown, Chad Tingler and even Rod Schmidt on shows too.

The current format of the Monster Jam Speed show season gives the fans the best way get to know the drivers behind the trucks now. Now they know that there are other Digger, Max D, El Toro and Monster Mutt drivers and not the top driver of the team. I think this is something that is important for fans to know just in case they start wondering at a show why truck X is not doing what they see on tv if the star driver is not there.

I was somewhat of an average fan when I was younger and if an average fan has Speed, I can think that they would know and realize Dennis is not driving the Digger at the show (if he is not at the show.) Something we also need to remember is kids will believe anything anyway. Case in point, Superman is a Bigfoot from the Glendale, AZ Monster Jam pit party. It caused an awkward silence and staring contest between me and my brother for about a minute while in transit from Superman to some other truck.

In closing, I wish kids would associate with drivers instead of the truck but when a promoter does not try for it to happen (and I am knocking Feld until this year with this one) it cannot happen.
    Michael King, fan of Monster Trucks since birth.

Members do not see advertisements
    I've been into monsters since as long as I can remember. Seriously. I was about three and hardly talking, and I told my Dad I wanted to go see the monster trucks, pointing at the television commercial. We went to see them at Freedom Hall, October 1990. The night Bigfoot clinched the championship. I was hooked, and Bigfoot was my favorite. I don't remember that show, or hardly any until around 1993 or so, as being it was a once a year show, and I didn't always get to go. I whet my appetite with lots and lots of shows taped off television, USA motorsports home videos, and so on that I have watched so much I practically have them memorized.

Monsters are like real life cartoons. Real people's eyes don't bug out of their head, or jump way high, or any other cartoon thing. Watching Nascar, to a kid, is boring. You're too young to understand what's happening, unless a crash is going on. But monsters are larger than life, the tires are way too big, they're really loud, jump really high, and are generally do everything that cartoons do, just in real life.

I think, honestly, it has come full circle. Most of us became fans in the late eighties, early ninties, and stayed loyal fans. Some of us have had kids, and now watch because we like them, and the kids watch, learn and like them now too. The other day I was watching MJ on Speed, and I bought my daughter (who is almost two) a 24th scale Gunslinger toy, the ones that self-propel. She saw what was on the television, and went and got her toy and pushed it across the floor. She is 21 months old. Startin' 'em young!
    Brandon Clark

The automatic transmission is soley responsible for the wussification of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information