Post Thanks / Like

Original King Kong colors?

Members do not see advertisements
    I'm building a RC version of the Jeff Dane's original(blue) King Kong and I want to get the colors right. I've long believed the colors to be a slightly lighter dark blue(hope that makes sense) and the other color I thought was silver(especially since it later became red and silver). I saw some new photos on Taft's site and now I'm thinking the blue is actually a dark blue(like Bigfoot) and the other color is white.

http://monsterphoto.iwarp.com/kingkong.htm

I used to even have the original Peterson's 4-Wheel and Off Road with it on the cover and I don't remember it being being dark blue and white. Can someone who knows please help, thanks .

Post Thanks / Like
    The original King Kong was definitely blue and silver with white wheels. I remember seeing it a couple of times as a kid. I'm pretty sure the blue is a 75or 76 Ford factory color. There's lots of good pics on this site...
    facebook.com/pages/The-King-Kongmonster-truck-fan-page/122890631118689

Check out this micro RC build
    rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/327477-king-kong-80s-monster-truck-short-vid-added.html

Sorry about the links, but I can't post them until I post another couple times. Just put a www in front of the link text

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that confirmation OldSchoolDude.

I know that micro from RCC, very cool build! Funny enough that truck was another reason I questioned the silver because it looked a bit odd when I saw that truck. It might be just because it doesn't have the name on the side but the silver really stands out whereas on the real King Kong it's more subtle.

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Hurt or Rich Scott might be the best guys to talk to about this. I am 99% sure that the blue color on Kong 1 wasn't a factory color. The truck when Jeff Dane first bought it was brown I believe.
    Mike Krieger

Old Skool Monsters Rule!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the original color was brown. I was trying to say that I think he used a Ford factory color when he painted it blue and silver.

Check out this color chip data. The color looks very similar to the medium bright blue poly paint at the bottom of this color chip page (see link below).

tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1976-ford-pg01.jpg

Once again put www dot in front of the link text

As far as the silver on that micro crawler, it could just be that it has more metallic in it than the original color. Plus the metallic flake is relatively much larger on that 1/25 scale body. I agree though, the silver on the original truck looks more subtle in the old pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked Jeff about the colors for you. He said he had no idea what the blue and silver was .He picked two colors out of a catalog he thought would look good together. Sorry not much help. Steve
    Chad Fortune 2014 Hall of Fame nominee.

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like

Members do not see advertisements
    Any chance we can see what you have done so far on this RC??? Thanks.
    Mike Krieger

Old Skool Monsters Rule!!!

Thread Information