Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Members do not see advertisements
    Would love to see some of the Family Events S-track events turned into an open-qualifying deal with a purse. If the racing's already as tight as it is with contracted appearances, just imagine how hot it would be with some real $$$ on the line. Frig, sign me up, man!
    Glen Robins
    "All your pretty chrome and paint means nothing if you're watching a pair of shrinking taillights from a primered big-block Vega." -- Jake Amatisto

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want ideas on how to structure an event, look to NHRA for ideas. Drag racing and MTs are more related than most people think, trust me on this.

The #1 thing to keep in mind is you need something that will get tickets sold, if that doesn't happen you have no chance of success.

And don't worry about getting a TV deal right off the bat, there are thousands of excellent events that do not have TV packages but pack the stands every event, focus on the show and the rest will follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with local businesses to see if they'd sponsor an event. There can be different levels of sponsorship, i.e. $X = a banner at the event and being announced over the PA; $Y = a banner, PA announcements and mention on radio/TV ads; and so on.

I think good sponsors would be speed shops/automotive-related businesses, radio or TV stations, maybe a local store could host a truck display the day of or a few days before an event...this could be a good place to sell tickets or at least generate interest in the show.
    Photographer for hire

http://www.damonatherton.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The onnly way it will ever work is if your wost case last place loser can stiil go home with more cash then he is guarenteed at any other event and that still may not be enough if there are non qualifers going home with nothing.

The honest truth is 85% of people in gereral, the one's who pay to watch prefer FREESTYLE over racing.
    I don't think this will ever change.
    Some diehard's will claim different but they just don't get that there in the 15%.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    thats true to an extent Don, but the make up of the Joe Blow fan population now, compared to the make up of the Joe Blow fan population 20 years ago are very different. much of "15%" you refer to is made up of people who were once in that "85%", but when things started to change in the mid 90s, much of that crowd migrated to other motorsports. Those people are still out there, you just have to Reach Them with a product They want.....

hence the reason you dont see companies such as Budweiser and Coors and Miller in Monster Trucks any more. Instead weve got Marvel, and DC and other stuff aimed at kids and younger people.

whats the old saying? "Build it and they will come"
    Last edited by Paul curtis; November 11th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
    There was once a truck pull in the astrodome in which many believed Bigfoot 4 did not leave the line. The reality of the situation is that Bigfoot 4 was chained the the astrodome and moved the entire facility 300 feet.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the racing had more intricate obstacles, then you would have the perfect marriage of racing and freestyle in one. High banked turns, flat turns, double jumps, mud holes, hill climbs, boulder stacks, shallow water features to hydroplane through, etc. Sord of like every off-road sport combined and on steroids to really display what these trucks can do. Honestly, Dennis Anderson's hill-n-hole truck "King Sling" is on of the more exciting things I have watched in a long time for those very reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like nothing more than to see some good competitive racing again. But anyone who takes this on is going to have a tough row to hoe. Feld (or "Failed" as prefer to call them) and Monster Jam essentially have a strangle hold on the industry. I hate what they've done to monster trucks. But they do know how to run a business, and some lessons can be learned from them. For anyone to be successful promoting a monster truck racing series, you're going to need a few key ingredients.

1. You need a big sponsor and some smaller sponsors to help share the load. To secure a sponsor, you've got to research your market group, and prove to them there's a viable return. There's three main consumer groups in monster trucks. You've got your 18-30yr consumers, kids, and their parents. Coming up with sponsors and an atmosphere that appeals to all of these groups is tough. You also need a commitment for several years. Almost any new business is bound to struggle its first year, and locking in a sponsor for the long haul is a must.

2. You need TV coverage. TV reaches a much larger and diverse audience than just the diehard fans that will attend the races. TV also gives your sponsors a huge outlet to promote their product. You also need a regular and dependable time slot that your audience can view the show. As a kid, I used to hate the coverage on ESPN. You could never count on the schedule. They would bump monster truck shows for just about anything, and put them on at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning. So having a regular, dependable time slot is important. That way your audience can tune into your event and sponsors on a regular basis. You also need a production company that knows what they're doing. Monsters of Destruction had a good thing going on the Outdoor Network, but the TV production was pretty poor.

3. You need to advertise. I can't tell you how many times I hear or see news of an event AFTER it's already taken place. I might have attended had I known about it. Without advertising, you won't fill the seats. This is one thing Monster Jam does well. They show TV commercials, buy radio time, put on local promotions, and spread the word. By the time the event rolls around, everyone within a 150 mile radius knows about it.

4. You've got to attract top notch teams and talent. To do that, you may have to pay teams to show the first year. After the series is established, then you may be able to charge an entry fee and hold true open qualifying. You need decent prize pay outs, and having a year end jackpot, and a points chase helps. This helps offer incentive for teams to return and compete all season long in hopes of receiving a piece of the big prize at the end.

5. You need tracks that challenge the trucks and drivers, and entertain the fans. I personally think one of biggest things missing in a lot of monster truck racing today, is side-by-side competition. Seeing trucks fight it out, side by side, trading the lead, is what puts fans on the edge of their seat. It's that element of the unknown, and hoping your favorite can pull it out at the last that makes it fun. Seeing trucks run around in a circle, approaching a finish line 100 yds apart, from opposite directions, leaves the audience guessing, and having to rely on instant replays to figure out who won. I'm not saying every race needs to be a straight line drag style track, but I think having the trucks claw their way side by side to the finish line is more exciting. I wouldn't promote little 2-jump straight line tracks. You need something that tests the suspension, engineering, and driver skill.

I know there are many other things to consider, and promoting something like a racing series must be overwhelming. I hope someone can pull it off in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    To borrow some points from a friends post on another racing series thread.
    An established printed and distributed rulebook would be needed.Along with qualified tech officials (not MJ techs, real techs.) to uphold the rulebook.A scale capable of weighing the trucks would be needed at each event. A timing system capable of staging and timing a race (not a group of kids with stopwatches). A professional track construction crew, because with money on the line each lane and each jump would need to be identical.
    In addition to this as has been pointed out repeatedly.
    As to the entry fee. The last series to try an entry fee got 1 response.
    And last but not least you'll need money. Major sponsors are going to be hard to sway away from MJ. So, the money will most likely need to come from your own pocket. And, as others have said it will take awhile to catch on with trucks and fans. So, you'll need to be able to weather low turnouts of trucks and fans through at least the first year.

On an unrelated note. I find it noteworthy that the one team owner who has chimed in was told he was wrong within an hour.
    Digger?....Please.

K. Darden

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterCED View Post
    I think the only real future for the sport is racing and will also help the rest of the sport as well but most in it can't see the trees spite the forest in front of them. That said, there are many directions one could go with this but I personal wouldn't even try unless I had the money to start in on my own. If not everyone you ask for help will want a piece of the pie. That will only bring more chiefs to the table and complicate every step you take. You have to get it off the ground to show what it is and it will be to get money behind you to expand. We all have seen more than a few ppl put on events, spending tens of thousands to go under in one year. I know of ppl that have spent tens of thousands in laying out a seres with out even putting on one event yet.

At the end of the day the bottom line is money. NO one should attempt another series in the sport unless they have everything it takes in place (no promises or performance contracts) to grow there series or its dimize will be another hit to the sport and another reason for TV, sponsors, and hatters to turn further away from this idea.

I think other than money the single hardest part to figure out is what type of racing would be done and or what is or could be the future of MT racing? There has been many ideas talked about but what ever it is, it needs to be done and done right there will not be a 2nd chance to get it right the first time.

Like Adam said announce nothing until it is all set in stone. There are more than a few ppl out there that will stop and pull stings to shut down all viable attempts. It does and has happened.

The other thing and kind of a major deal next to money is how one will get the existing teams to compete when there stuck in the performance pay rut this sport is now. There are some creative ideas out there and I to have a few but that at the end of the day is in the details and all be it done right the teams will come.

Now as to the series I would do an:
    Open Qualifying- to all that meet the requirements and pay the entry fee.
    32 truck- double elimination heats.
    16 truck- bracket racing semi to finals.
    Prize money- Purse payouts, Championship payouts, and Contingency funding.
    Track type- would be a mix of 3, a twist on drag racing, stadium racing, and what I think will be the future of the sport with MTís on a multiple jump dirt track not unlike motocross tracks. Multiple events of each type in the series to crown one Champion at the end.
    Coverage- TV, and media is an obvious, but there are some creative things to be done there.

The future of the sport for racing to me is taking these trucks and putting them on tracks that are not only safe but will challenge man and machine every run out, while forcing technical evolution in vehicle design and components. There are many hurdles one would need to over come in not only setting a series up, getting it launched, and running it but once there, and done right would be the true future the sport should have and is in question now.

I wonít give away all my ideas but like many others out there if I only had the money. Perhaps with out monetary gain clouding the discussion all of us with the desire could work on something together one day. Iím always down to try!
    Still wearing the rose-colored glasses I see.

I'll admit I would like to see a racing series but the problem is, I don't think that there is a market big enough for it to work today. Too many fans want to see what Monster Jam (and every other promoter does by the trickle down theory.) I grew up in a time when it was just racing so I didn't have the choice. If I had the choice between a strict racing series or a racing/freestyle show would choose the later because I like racing and freestyle. I like Supercross and FMX. I don't prefer one style over the other. It's like me getting different wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. But as Don said,

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The honest truth is 85% of people in gereral, the one's who pay to watch prefer FREESTYLE over racing.
    I don't think this will ever change.
    Some diehard's will claim different but they just don't get that there in the 15%.
    The next problem is if there is say a 16 truck show that will compete the same weekend as Monster Jam, Monster Nationals, Monster Nation and CFP's Winter Nationals, that's at least 10 shows you are facing. Would MOST drivers give up a pay-day just to have a chance at being one of 16 who have to qualify to race? I think not. Because of this you may not get the 16 truck field you desire. I may like racing but I am a realist. If I had a truck and had the option to run an event that I KNOW I would get paid over one over me out performing say 4 trucks just to get in the show to get some money every time. If you can, then you're a better man than I.

Another thing that would help this is a TV deal. Without a TV deal, this would not work. ProMT only lasted what 3-4 years without a tv deal before ending? The fact is, you try to say you are not trying to face off with Monster Jam but you are.
    Michael King, fan of Monster Trucks since birth.

Post Thanks / Like

Members do not see advertisements
    All every negative comment focuses on is how one can not put together a racing series in the sport we have now. If it could be done it would have worked by now from one of the many attempts tried. The type of series it would take to work has never every every ben done. I will succeed to it not working if after lets say 3 straight yeas of multiple events and it goes under from lack of fan support.

I do agree there are more than a few hurdles to over come, like getting teams to want to try this versus guaranteed money, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. The one thing that Don said that is on the right track is if you can set up payouts to pay the last place qualifier the same or more than they would get at a performance show you would get teams to try. One idea instead is to get a gas sponsor and give out a fuel card to every team that trys to qualify. At $500 with 25 teams showing up thatís only $12,500. Not much for a sponsor if you have a good product for them.

Anyone setting up a series should not to be doing it for the fans in the sport now or to try and change the minds of those teams that donít want to race in an open event but just like to get paid to put on a show. If they do it will fail. One can not simply disregard those things and say forget you but you have to look beyond those problems and work your series to blend from one to the other. ďIf you build it right they will comeĒ In other words if you build it for the fans of today you will be spending your time and money trying to change there minds against what they like now instead of giving the fans that donít follow the sport what they want and the existing fan base will follow because they are already fans. Win win, give new fans what that want and the current ones what they didnít know they wanted.

I absolutely believer there is a fan base for MT that is completely untapped. Point I believe there millions of ppl that like what a MT is but most donít like what a MT does.

If you want to build a real and successful series for MTís donít try to rebuild the sport into a racing series built a new sport, much easer and cheaper.

To the Debbie downers out there, say what you want at the end of the day if it every happens you will be buying a ticket so I win and if it never happens then we all loose.
    Charles

If your not Really Racing is it worth it

"I want nothing less than to see everyone in the sport be able to make a full time living at what is now a hobby to some, a weekend motor sport to most, a full time business to few, and those that cover it to be able to do so with out fear of reprisal."

A Wana-bee MT Owner/Driver, but can't afford to wreck my stuff for the fun of it, but I will drive yours if you let me !!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information