Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

bigfoot 5 lake float

Members do not see advertisements
    did they ever dual it up and float it on the 10 footers? i doubt it, but maybe there are pics out there...
    THE MONSTER...coming soon..lol
    http://www.tgwforums.com/post?id=5168515

Quote Originally Posted by tonka tester View Post
    did they ever dual it up and float it on the 10 footers? i doubt it, but maybe there are pics out there...
    Physical impossibility. The tires weigh too much and don't have enough air pressure in them to even attempt it to do it.
    For the love of god, if you're gonna give a link to a picture or a video as a part of a discussion. DON'T LINK TO FACEBOOK. Some of us (ME INCLUDED) don't use it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cactusjack1999 View Post
    Physical impossibility. The tires weigh too much and don't have enough air pressure in them to even attempt it to do it.
    air pressure is not that important compared to volume... with dual tires, it should float... the rest of the vehicle doesnt weigh that much

Quote Originally Posted by tonka tester View Post
    air pressure is not that important compared to volume... with dual tires, it should float... the rest of the vehicle doesnt weigh that much
    Those tires weigh almost a ton to a ton and a half each. The side walls alone are probably a quarter inch thick. It's too much rubber not enough air. Not to mention the shape wouldn't help buoyancy even if you had two of them bolted together
    For the love of god, if you're gonna give a link to a picture or a video as a part of a discussion. DON'T LINK TO FACEBOOK. Some of us (ME INCLUDED) don't use it!!!!

I'm ready for the mythbusters episode...
    Robbie Milburn...yeah, thats about it.

Those tires weigh almost a ton to a ton and a half each. The side walls alone are probably a quarter inch thick. It's too much rubber not enough air. Not to mention the shape wouldn't help buoyancy even if you had two of them bolted together

each tire would just have to support 1200 lbs of truck weight at most to float. rollin thunder weighed around 20,000 lbs and floated on single 66x43s on heavy ag wheels...

The truck may very well float dualed out, but aside from that what would you do with it once you got it in the water? The truck struggled to find traction in mud, I can't imagine how bad it would flounder in the water.
    Ridin' High.

Displacement is what matters, heavy things can float. Air pressure does make a diffrence in monster trucks floating though,that is a lesson learned from the attempts at gas guzzy. But like Dan said volume not weight will make it float or not. Being that tall would probably be tough to keep upright without a huge keel of some sort.

Chad Fortune 2016 Hall of Fame nominee.

I will admit I mispoke about the air/volume thing. My bad.

But like Kyle said. You wouldn't be able to do anything with it because there is no tread to the tires almost.

Also I know how large ships and such work. Its the fact that, even running as duals the tires are far too shallow to allow it to float. Also you have to figure the fact you have a huge negative space for the wheels. If enough water is in there. It won't matter if they are bouyant enough weight can overcome it and the truck will sink like a stone.

Members do not see advertisements
    Ok here it goes. Taking the tire size 120"x68"x48" The volume of air the tire holds is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25, 55 gallon drums. A 55 gallon drum will hold up 441 pounds in water. 441x25 is 11025, then subtract 3000 for the weight of the tire. Which means in theory each tire should hold up 8000lbs. 8000lbs each tire x 8 tires is 64000lbs. It should work, even if each tire only holds up 5000lbs it should still work.
    Paul Marsing (rainyday290)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information