Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A different look at Jim Koehler's Wildwood air

Members do not see advertisements
    I was going through some video for an upcoming project, and was looking at the moonshot Jim Koehler had in Wildwood late last year. As I went through the clip, it occurred to me that I had yet to see anything that really showed exactly how high up he was. EVERYONE that had video or a still camera was zoomed in too tight (myself included) to give it the proper perspective. Then this idea dawned on me...

This is seven individual frames spaces 13 frames apart in the video. The top middle frame is at the peak of the jump. You can see the closeness of the images near the top versus the distance on the ends. That equals amazing hang time. Someone smarter with geometry than I can more precisely determine how high Jim was, but I estimate the right rear tire (AKA, the lowest point on the truck) was somewhere around 30 feet above the ground level of the sand. So there ya go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked Jim about this jump and how much it hurt... he laughed and said "dude I didn't feel a thing. I would have kept going but they cut me off, it bent the front rims and they weren't my rims."
    Unbelievable. When i see this jump, i use the term "stupid air." First used it when Dennis did that jump in Minni.
    Defender of the Faith \m/

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy how high these trucks go when considering the weight...... Awesome !
    Stripling Warrior monster truck racing team (see our facebook page) for rebuild updates
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...031924?sk=wall

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what the highest jump to date is?
    If it is possible, then it is done.........
    If it is impossible, then it WILL be done. Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deZzgwjILAY ?

There have been some big ones!
    Robbie Milburn...yeah, thats about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Pontiac 2001, Eldon DePew in Bulldozer that was crazy air for back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tazfan17 View Post
    I remember Pontiac 2001, Eldon DePew in Bulldozer that was crazy air for back in the day.
    I was there for that. He came out of the gate heavy on the throttle and went straight for that stack with the freezer truck that was seemingly invincible. We were sitting in the second level at the silverdome and it was like he was eye level with us. almost scared you, ya know? haha. Truck was so hight and just flat out nose planted with no suspension to absorb the landing impact. it was AWESOME.

I would also recommend anyone to watch Tom Meents jump that house on youtube. Unbelievable air on that jump too and i dont think he expected to get that much air either. Didnt break.

Big jumps off the top of my head....

Eldon DePew in Bulldozer at Pontiac Silverdome

Dennis in GD at Minni

Kohler in Avenger at Wildwood and Tampa.

Bradshaw in AFAB in Detroit.

Pauken in Monster Mutt at World Finals in his championship run

Chad Tingler clearing the Triple at WF 9 on 1st attempt and first truck out for freestyle. I was there for that one, it was SICK. More distance than height, but still an amazing leap.

And im sure Tom Meents has a handful of them haha

Post Thanks / Like
    And Frank Krmel's huge air in Arnhem, Holland 2008
    Marcel "MadRat" Degen

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was the only one in the crowd who expected it to happen because Jim told me he wanted to do it on Friday morning when they were tiring up, so I wasn't zoomed in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnGOEy7BVHY&noredirect=1

Post Thanks / Like

Members do not see advertisements
    These are all sick, especially the wildwood jump. Jim lives that stuff . Ull always get that one or 2 nasty air jumps. That water fountain theyve usually had at the finals is always good for it. Tom jumping his old house, then through it was awesome. But let's not forget when Dan runte jumped the 747 testing suspension and wanting that record. Not full wing span, but non the less was sick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information