Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Rockwell 5-ton Strength??

Members do not see advertisements
    Ok had a few questions an looking here since there a few old school guys who ran 5 tons. But the question is i have a few old projects, But i was looking over a few old photos over the years an i seen alot of guys in the early days ran straight 5 tons an had success when racing with the 5 tons. Obviously they dont hold up sooner or later they will break, I see oem reinforced tie rods arnt worth anything an i hear the king pin on the housing itself is the weak part that will sheer off. i seen in Jeff Strands build up he made 1 or 2 hits with thunder beast an broke the left front of thunder beast right off the bat. But i seen a few guys outa Arizona an around that area for years run 5 tons an have not many issues Jack Kolberna, Larry Edd, Dan Eff ect all ran 5 tons. So long story short what was the key to making this work??? How did some ppl have no luck an some had good luck with them?? Im not looking to race my old trucks with 5 tons but still plan to use them for small display car crushes an private use These old trucks will be mostly display purposes only but i still want to use them with no issues if ever needed to crush cars so what is the key?? What is the way to get long life out of rockwells with no planetarys doing minor use an small old school car crushes just using them and standing the truck up an come back down an thats it.. Any info is wanted thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at Russ at Gearhart Engineering. Russ has addressed the 5ton weekness and created a double sheer.
    http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/...5ton-toploader
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the tip, But im not getting the issue, Your saying keep the kingpin caps tight an everything will be fine??? Thats the issue?? I figured it would be the housing side itself and plateing on the housing as good as possible would be the fix as shown on jeff strand's breakage sheered the pin on the housing off completly.

Post Thanks / Like
    No keeping the kingpin caps tight is not primarily what is being done in this application. What is being done is creating a double sheer point.
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

Post Thanks / Like
    Txt me at 814 494 2659. I'll send ya some pics from my phone on what steve is talking about. And another thing too that makes a difference is how the suspension is setup. A truck with little suspension travel and alot of weight is hard on anything. With todays shocks and technology and aftermarket support a 5ton is getting to be more than adequate for monstertrucks.
    Checkout www.adamsoffroadperformance.com for all your mudtruck and monstertruck axle and suspension needs. And if we don't have it we can make it.

Post Thanks / Like
    After talking with a few ppl I think its understood. What there doing is bracing the upper an lower part of the knuckle an in order for the housing an knuckle to sheer it must take out this welded on unit as well. Is how I'm understanding this. How well will this unit work under an old leaf spring truck with not much suspension travel an tons of housing gussets an shock absorbers?? Anyone try to kill a 5 ton yet with this unit installed an get a before an after estimate on the difference??

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, why would you choose to run leaf springs?
    Stripling Warrior monster truck racing team (see our facebook page) for rebuild updates
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...031924?sk=wall

Raised in Lincoln/Warsaw Missouri. Currently in Licking Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it important to have a combo of kingpin braces and the knuckle/spindle diaper that Chris Lagana made. Add to that some aftermarket shafts and you have a pretty tough axle.

Here is a pic of Adams Offroad 5tons with Gearhart kingpin braces and custom trusses.

Here is my old truck with custom trusses, boxed knuckles, and lower kingpin braces.

Custom bracing and kingpin supports on the old Harley Badboy truck of Dave Rife.

Custom 5ton knuckle/spindle diaper built by Chris Lagana.

Upper kingpin support on Mega Merc
    JIM MACE
    http://flickr.com/photos/hawgwild/sets/

Of course I think Im always right. Why would I say something if I thought I was wrong??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R.R.I View Post
    After talking with a few ppl I think its understood. What there doing is bracing the upper an lower part of the knuckle an in order for the housing an knuckle to sheer it must take out this welded on unit as well. Is how I'm understanding this. How well will this unit work under an old leaf spring truck with not much suspension travel an tons of housing gussets an shock absorbers?? Anyone try to kill a 5 ton yet with this unit installed an get a before an after estimate on the difference??
    THANKS Steven, Adam and Jim, another advantage of my kit is the upward thrust loads from landing after a jump is divided between the upper kingpin and lower kingpin to eliminate knuckle stretch.Also working on steel outer knuckle to replace factory cast one,With my kit installed would put it up against any factory knuckle out there.IMO a mistake made in the early days they would narrow the 5ton housing using two short side axle shafts,then for steering clearance reasons would move the tire/wheel combo outward placing more leverage on the knuckles.

Post Thanks / Like

Members do not see advertisements
    Dean to answer your question I own a few old school trucks that I'm rebuilding to keep some old classic trucks alive its all about the old nostalgia factor for me.There returning to there original construction as they were built in the mid 80"S most had rock 5-tons an planetarys. But being that there retired I do not see the point to add expensive planetarys on a truck that will not be full time competive it just don't make logical sense. So OEM 5-tons they will get but I would still like to do small get together events for classic monsters such as gas guzzy event or something along those lines. I still want to harp on them every once an again. No point in letting them sit either so this would be a good solution to the OEM knuckle issue under a classic leafspring truck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information