Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car Crushing without cars.... huh?

Members do not see advertisements
    A few years ago, I attended a show in Green Cove Springs, FL. in a horse arena at the fairgrounds. It seemed strange, at least to me, that there no cars being crushed, just jumping dirt hills. Wasn't a bad show for what it was. I'm guessing cars weren't used in order to avoid pieces of metal being mashed into the ground so they wouldn't later work back to the top and possibly injure a horse or other livestock. Just asking if this is common at smaller venues and other non MJ events?

Yea it is...sometimes. I dont know the promoter...somebody else probably does, but part of it im sure was it was a smaller promotion and they didnt want to pay for the cars (or couldn't afford them)
    But also it would be dangerous to the animals...so i assume both are factors...or either...

The discussion about using less cars has been around for quite a while. Some of it is lack of supply of the proper car type. Minni's arent big enough obviously...
    Also dirt holds up for big jumps while vehicles dont. Obviously a show in 2000-2003 was exciting then but if that happened now, most of the crowd would ho hum bored... Viewers are spoiled by Monster Jam on TV, thats why promoters other than Feld rarely go into domes...and when they do go into large places...well...of course they use less cars than dirt hills usually following the successful model.

Thats more than you asked but related...
    Ill have to think of something else witty to put here later

While yes, dirt holds up better throughout the night giving each driver a level playing field, fans still enjoy a good crush. I wouldn't say people are ho-hum on classic FS obstacles. Just listen to the crowd reaction as Buetow lines up then hits that huge city bus in Anaheim...

Not even close to the amount of air off a dirt jump, but the crowd still loved it. While I'd say that dirt obstacles are a necessity in this ultra competitive age, it'd be nice to see a little more "old school" type stacks like this and those cool mini steel walls seen in San Antonio and on the west coast. A little more variety like this would be nice.
    Jordan "Jet" Holland

Monster truck racing is dangerous, unpredictable, difficult, expensive and exclusive. And if these attributes don't make it a real motorsport, then there are no real motorsports.
    -Edmunds Inside Line

i didnt mean ho hum for such style stacks...i mean if they biult a track where the fs track was 2 single cars lanes, a car-van-car and a car-van-bus etc like in teh early 2000s...people would be disappointed where in 2000 they were floored...OMG a BUS!!!!!!
    Ill have to think of something else witty to put here later

Quote Originally Posted by chad4208 View Post
    i didnt mean ho hum for such style stacks...i mean if they biult a track where the fs track was 2 single cars lanes, a car-van-car and a car-van-bus etc like in teh early 2000s...people would be disappointed where in 2000 they were floored...OMG a BUS!!!!!!
    True, I agree with you there. Although personally I'd like to see it.
    Jordan "Jet" Holland

Monster truck racing is dangerous, unpredictable, difficult, expensive and exclusive. And if these attributes don't make it a real motorsport, then there are no real motorsports.
    -Edmunds Inside Line

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
    A few years ago, I attended a show in Green Cove Springs, FL. in a horse arena at the fairgrounds. It seemed strange, at least to me, that there no cars being crushed, just jumping dirt hills. Wasn't a bad show for what it was. I'm guessing cars weren't used in order to avoid pieces of metal being mashed into the ground so they wouldn't later work back to the top and possibly injure a horse or other livestock. Just asking if this is common at smaller venues and other non MJ events?
    If it was in the actual horse arena, I would be willing to bet your exactly right.

I think people like watching stuff get smashed and crushed, you can't do that with just dirt, otherwise it's like watching quad racing or something

From talking to many different arena managers they are all different. Some are VERY specific in what they will and will NOT allow to be done. They don't care if it costs them a promotion coming into their arena or not. As for promoters not being able to afford the cars, that's not even a valid point. there are more than enough scrap yards that will give the cars to be crushed. They are gonna crush anyways for the scrap, besides they get a few free tickets and their yard name spray painted on the cars and they are happy.

I really like the idea of the "jammer stack", by laying the cars on their side and putting dirt up to them, you get a nice pop at the top and the cars seem to hold up a bit better that way. I don't really care for it though when a promoter brings in a car/van/car stack and puts nothing inside the van. Then after the first hit the van is just as tall as the cars in a lot of cases. Some hay bales, or even old wheels and tires stacked inside would help it hold up better and be a better obstacle for the later trucks. But as has been said, dirt def holds up and is more consistent than metal.
    If it is possible, then it is done.........
    If it is impossible, then it WILL be done. Evel Knievel

Members do not see advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by fastj14 View Post
    I really like the idea of the "jammer stack", by laying the cars on their side and putting dirt up to them, you get a nice pop at the top and the cars seem to hold up a bit better that way. I don't really care for it though when a promoter brings in a car/van/car stack and puts nothing inside the van. Then after the first hit the van is just as tall as the cars in a lot of cases. Some hay bales, or even old wheels and tires stacked inside would help it hold up better and be a better obstacle for the later trucks. But as has been said, dirt def holds up and is more consistent than metal.
    I agree completely with that. Is quite a disappointment to show up at an event on the 2nd or third day and see the cars all crushed down. You know you won't see near the action that the first night had because there is nothing to give the trucks any real lift. Jammer stacks work well in smaller arenas quite well and seem to stay solid for the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information