bad andy Guest

Building A T case/Drop Box

Members do not see advertisements
    Looking for input, Im putting together a chain drive case for the new truck, close to what Dan Evans is running in the Destroyer, but he is hard to reach so id like a few opinions, is a double 60 chain strong enough? is single 80 stronger? is double 80 overkill?
    Andy

Raised in Lincoln/Warsaw Missouri. Currently in Licking Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    triple 60 is what the MTRA suggests
    JIM MACE
    http://flickr.com/photos/hawgwild/sets/

Of course I think Im always right. Why would I say something if I thought I was wrong??

Post Thanks / Like
    Destoyer is using Double 80

bad andy Guest

Thank You

Thats what i thought thanks for conf, that info thats what we will run than
    Andy Michalik
    The doubble 80!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for us poor dullards that don't have a clue...could someone please explain the difference for me? I'm honestly curious and wanting to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    I researched the chain drive issue for the MTRA. Bobby Holman and I wrote the specifications for it. The double 80 chain is rated for a higher load, however, since it only has two rows, it is more susceptible to wear. The triple row chains, even the 60's which are a lower rating, tend to last longer. FWIW, I would recomend a triple row 60 or 80. Also here's the MTRA 2007 Rulebook on their website. Page 20 has the chain drive specifications.

The size number, "80", "60", etc. is a reference to the center to center distance of the chain's pins (Or the pitch) and also what kind of chain it is. The left number (6, 8, 10, etc) is the number of eighths of an inch the pitch dimension is. The right number (0,1,5, etc) is a reference to the type of chain. "0" is a roller chain, "5" is a bushed chain, "1" is a narrow version of a "0" or roller chain. So, for example, a "41" chain is a narrow roller chain with a 0.500" pitch. If the chain is a multple row chain its name will often have a "-2" or such indicating how many rows. So a triple row "60" chain is often referred to as 60-3. More information on power tranmission chains can be found here.
    Last edited by Sinister '32; March 6th, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
    Monster Truck fan since 1980.
    Those who are too weak to follow their own dreams will always find ways to discourage others.

bad andy Guest

yea i found that out last night

Members do not see advertisements
    I got a mesage from the Little Miss Dangerous Owners last night that they are running the thripple 60 for MTRA reasons, and i also herd that Dan evans has had problems with that double 80 set up, so iam going to rethink this idea and find out what is avalible i may end up with a gear drive after all. I dont know yet.

Thread Information