Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how much would building a monster truck cost

Members do not see advertisements
    ok so i think it would be cool to make a truck old school one leaf springs 500 hp motor nothign over the top

what do you think it would cost and were could i get these parts

About $125,000 give or take.

And that's just parts.

Not to mention another few grand for the hauler and truck, spare parts, tools, safety implements (firesuit, helmet, safety harness, HANS device)

That seems high to make an old leafer, but what do I know? I wouldnt say 125 though
    Ryan Smith

AIM: RNS0504 - E-Mail: RNS0504@aol.com

http://mtresults.proboards107.com/index.cgi <--Monster Truck Results Project- Please Contribute!

With some careful shopping and doing a lot of the assembly yourself, you should be able to put something like that together for no more than $15,000 and most likely a lot less. You can get an old grain truck or school bus frame from salvage and cut it to length, very cheap. Or you can build your own frame out of box tubing. Leaf springs are pretty economical, even custom ones made to order but you could probably shop around and do some research and find some spings to work for you. You can find axles cheap, 5-tons are still relatively inexpensive. You can build a 500 HP engine for less than $3,000 easy. You can get a body from a salvage yard too and do your own body work and paint. There's also the occasional old school truck that crops up for cheap as well.
    Last edited by Sinister '32; May 17th, 2007 at 05:41 PM.
    Monster Truck fan since 1980.
    Those who are too weak to follow their own dreams will always find ways to discourage others.

Raised in Lincoln/Warsaw Missouri. Currently in Licking Missouri
    I have around $15000 in my racer, but I am running the cheaper 5 tons and a relatively cheap motor.
    JIM MACE
    http://flickr.com/photos/hawgwild/sets/

Of course I think Im always right. Why would I say something if I thought I was wrong??

what you end up saving money wise building a leaf sprung truck you might spend that plus a lot more at your local doctors office with a compressed spine...

Quote Originally Posted by TNTmonstertruck View Post
    what you end up saving money wise building a leaf sprung truck you might spend that plus a lot more at your local doctors office with a compressed spine...
    I agree....depending on what you do with the truck. I didn't get the impression the person asking was looking to compete. Just building a toy.
    Those who are too weak to follow their own dreams will always find ways to discourage others.

I quoted the larger number because of all teh fabrication that goes into it.

There is no guarentee that anyone building a monster truck knows how to weld, or fabricate. Which means that most of the parts would have to be custom manufactured by someone else. That's something alot of people forget about when they are factoring in building something. Labor.

Also I'm looking at Jegs.com and a Ford Racing engine, ment for a racing type set up, will run about $8,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactusjack1999 View Post
    Also I'm looking at Jegs.com and a Ford Racing engine, ment for a racing type set up, will run about $8,000.
    You can make 500 hp A LOT cheaper than that .

Members do not see advertisements
    full tun key from a well known builder starts at $146,254.36 thats with everything but a driving suit, helmet, and hauler to race
    "To continually produce the best
    two hour live event while
    incurring minimal costs and
    providing maximum
    entertainment"

Whats wrong with that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information