Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Death at Le Mans

Members do not see advertisements
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar...170334424.html

Im really, really upset about that because...why isn't there a tire wall there? Maybe someone can find an image of the site but You would think a 150MPH curve into a an armco and line of trees would be an ideal place for one.

I don't mean to start something but I'm just upset about it
    Ill have to think of something else witty to put here later

Not sure how many people on here follow the 24 hour race but where he went off the track, it is a very unlikely place to have a hard crash. he was coming out of Tetre Rouge for the long straight that goes to the first chicane. If he lost control of his car about 5 seconds earlier he would have went through a gravel trap and hit a tire wall and would probably still be here today.

The past few years at Le Mans have produced some horrific crashes. Toyota's P1 crash from last year, than Audi's two nasty crashes in 2011 with McNish and Rocky. With most of the track being run on public roads, having permanent safer barriers may not be an option but I think everyone that runs that race, knowing Le Man's past knows the risk of racing there all too well.

This is not/never the time/place to be an armchair engineer. Sad to say that I see it whenever a fatal accident occurs in any motorsport, someone always comes in and says "this" should change and "that" should be different. In no way am I saying you're doing this chad4208, just giving a reminder to anyone who comments here to tread lightly and watch your words.

RIP Mr. Allan Simonsen.

Members do not see advertisements
    Im not familiar with the track to know how easy it would be to actually go off at that particular section...however, just eyeballing it, to me, with common sense, it would seem a likely place to have better protection anyway because its still in the direction the cars are going, and possible to hit without further assistance from a racing accident...aka another car. Like where Denny hit in Cali... thats not a place one would hit without bouncing off another car in a racing accident like that, or Mark at Michigan...that was in the middle of pit road...not something you would think of as a high impact zone just by looking at the track...
    But this looks looks like a place you can hit, and again, goes straight in the direction the cars are going on track... now as its being said, seems to be a few feet later than cars would normally spin off that corner...ya know...seems irralvenat being having a tire barrier there wouldnt be an issue given the lack of one seems to be guaranteed death anyway. I mean its a line of trees... The logic going into not protecting a line of trees in this day and age right off the race track... ... ... Just a tire barrier would have saved his life...

Also as the race went on, a few drivers and other people also expressed similar ideas saying several spots on the race track were not sufficiently protected for modern day race cars. I think they were being nice as you would think anybody with decent race car knowledge knows ARMCO barriers are not going to stop a car going the speeds they are going around that track...but thats basically what they were saying, that the ARMCO barriers were not sufficient, and a few other areas needed better protection other than concrete (and this is on the inside permanent circuit) So I'm not the only one who thinks this. And yea I watched...more than half the 24 hours...lol

But again, my beef is that even if its just a few feet past where a car would normally hit....is irralevant...they could still just as easily hit there by themselves at high speeds... Why not protect it better? its 2013

And apparently its not the only death at that spot, so its a known trouble spot and even though the likely hood of hitting there is like...what...**** near zero...its mortality rate is **** near 100. I see both sides...so its one of those odd things thats not very clear but its not so obscure that when it happens its shocking and you find yourself saying...well i never saw that coming, because it still seems a likely spot for better barriers due to previous factors, but obvoiusly again...what 2 or 3 impacts there in 20 plus years? yea... theres no conclusion there, just a sad outcome.
    Last edited by chad4208; June 24th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Ill have to think of something else witty to put here later

Thread Information