Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Technical stuff: Mechanical Fuel Injection... Why no EFI?

Members do not see advertisements
    I have been asking around for a while now about mechanical fuel injection, and why we still have not converted over to electronic fuel injection.

I personally am a huge fan of electronic fuel injection, to me there is nothing cooler than hookin up my laptop to my grand national and changing the fuel map based on elevation, temp, humidity and all of those other fun variables. I see anywhere from a .05 to .3 second difference between tuning when I go to the track and anywhere from 1-3mph difference... thats on a 400hp engine... Im sure at the 1500hp level there is a lot more "potential" left, not to mention the engine monitoring capabilities EFI provides.

I have been asking around trying to get a feel for why no one has converted. I have gotten a few "It's too complicated", and a few other answers, but I have yet to talk to anyone with any first hand experience with EFI.

So, I want to hear about EFI and why it's not used in monster trucks.

i hate to say it, but i think you answered your question temporarily. until theyre is a full on race series, something like this probably wont be a priority on the owner's minds.
    monster truck fan for over 20 years. man i'm old.
    "Posts means nothing, it's all about knowledge."
    bacardi 151, 75% alcohol, 25% filler.
    "UGH, MY GOOD CHINA!" "dishes done."

To me, it seems as though alot of the tracks out nowadays are too short to really benefit from tuning the fuel mixture with a laptop and EFI.

But I do agree, to me it seems as though running EFI would make maintenance much easier because (as I'm finding out on my car) adjusting the air/fuel mixture is tougher on a carburetor than plugging a laptop into the computer. But my inexperience with carbs may be my reason for thinking that.

Although one issue I could see is that possibly the computer for the engine could be damaged by the shock of rollovers and the like, I don't know.

You've brought up a good point Adam, definitely got me thinking.

I think durability may be the issue. Mechanical fuel injection is tried and true. If you know how to work on it (I don't yet!!! then I am guessing that it isn't all that tough to tune. EFI is definately nice, but from my experience in non ideal conditions, computers are a pain in the rear. Drag strip and daily drivers don't get mud, water, extreme vibration, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerMT View Post
    I think durability may be the issue. Mechanical fuel injection is tried and true. If you know how to work on it (I don't yet!!! then I am guessing that it isn't all that tough to tune. EFI is definately nice, but from my experience in non ideal conditions, computers are a pain in the rear. Drag strip and daily drivers don't get mud, water, extreme vibration, etc.

yes you are wright i'n not good at explaning things on hear but as someone that does work with a engine that is prity much the same as the trucks it is not that hard at all if you have your fuel system set up wright from the start buy someone that knows what there doing as well there is no efi that can flow the amount of fuel these engines run on as well no need for it as in drag racing it is mechanial as well no efi there is not one made that i know of for these engines.
    Trever Adamo

TLR Racing
    NovaRossi
    Team Novak
    Pro Line racing
    Imagine It Graphics

http://www.facebook.com/#/trever.adamo?ref=profile

See these are the same kind of responses I am getting from the drivers I have talked to...

Here is a little more info on EFI. First off, you do not have to tune it at every show. You have the option to, but if your tune it close you can just pull it out and go. Second, You can set up your system with a wide band o2 sensor that tunes the EFI in real time according to what AFR you want to run. Thats what I have in my car.

Also the "not enough fuel" argument is a myth from what I can gather... There are quite a few 1100-1500hp toyota supra's running around that will lay down 1000rwhp on the dyno and then drive home on pump gas... These are inline 6's people, so you know that you would need massive fuel injectors. Almost everyone who has access to it is running e85 now days too, so we know you can make big HP on alcohol.

The durability argument is kinda weak as well. The EFI systems have 0 moving parts. You mount your ECU, wire it up, and go to work. If your ECU is in a waterproof box,mounted securely, and wired properly there should be Zero issues with durability. It's nothing more than a big computer chip. There are no moving parts to break!

I guess I should jump into why I want to see EFI come out... I had no idea how truly inefficient these engines were until this past weekend. We took equalizer from the speedway out to the main road for a display. The track ran for roughly 4-5minuts and was driven "normally" out to the road... In that time the truck went through 5-6 gallons of fuel at mostly idle, or under 4K rpms... I was shocked to see it take a whole 5 gallon jug.

I have been talking with quite a few engine people here recently. I keep arguing for more power adder options, but I have yet to really put my money where my mouth is and give people other options. I have been researching other blowers Such as the whipple twin screws, and several other setups. The guy at whipple was shocked when I told him we did not use EFI. His question to me was simply was "Why"? I said I didn't know, but I told him I would find out... So thats why I started this thread... There are just too many "Why" questions with no answers in the sport, and Im sorry but "Because" is never an acceptable answer to me

I think EFI will eventually get there.........maybe I run Dump trucks, and the Mechanical engines are far better than the Computerized at this point....in my opinion. The computerized trucks are great for non-owner operators, but for all out power potential, mechanical fuel injection wins hands down. If a computer messes up, who's gonna fix it? Once the "magic smoke" leaves your nicely mounted box, vibration proof box, you're pretty much up a creek for the weekend. Fuel efficiency is not really an issue in MT's since you are not doing endurance events where fuel consumption is a concern. EFI is definately nice, and is proving itself in many ways. When it comes time to build my engine, an Enderle hat with a mechanical pump will be sitting on top..........parts availabilty, trackside knowledge, and proven durability. Simply put.......I don't trust computers......they are great when they work, and absolutely miserable when they don't. I've been stranded by computerized vehicles far more often than old school mechanical vehicles. Just my take on the whole thing, but I agree in the potential for EFI.

Efi is great but it will still use around the same amount of fuel as mechanical. The cost is the big difference. A good efi setup will cost you around 2000 to 3000 for a fast or bigstuff. With the hp levels the trucks are running you will need 16 injectors that will be around 1000 to 2000. I know they are already spending a ton on the trucks so it shouldn't matter much but it will be a lot to change for just a little help.

NHRA still runs mechanical. The main reson for them is with efi there can be alot more cheating in the sport.

After taking an IC Engines class for my engineering degree I feel that it EFI really could help someone who knows how to use it and how to tune it for an engine. An engine is just a bunch of math equations, I feel that I have the knowledge (and a book thats about 4 inches thick) that you can basically know what optimum settings are based on current conditions. With the ability to monitor so much of the engine you can catch something going wrong before catastrophic damage happens. It also will provide the ability to keep the engine more consistant. Also the ability to quickly and easily increase power when running against bigger name competition and then detune it easily later for durability. So in my opinion, rather than trying to learn from everyone else, go out and learn for yourself and get the upper hand on the competition.
    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -Teddy Roosevelt

Christian Riedel
    Crew Chief-Stinger and Boogey Van
    Mechanical Engineer
    Admin of Monster Truck Fab forum

Members do not see advertisements
    Why get so complex with computers? Why do all top fuel drag racers use the same mechanical pumps we use on the trucks. I know if my truck is running "fat" I can change a pill in my Hat and I can make it leaner. The other thing is that I can come up with is most drag cars don't run batteries and def. no alternators (They run Mags which is a generator itself) so how and why add weight and more money to something that works really well right now

Remember years ago on the Bigfoot VHS that Bob said it is 275 feet a gallon. Power for us is easy to change. Let us have more pulley boost on our superchargers. Nitro cars use 60% Boost, We monster truck people use 10% which is 8 pounds of boost. So if you want more power............let the supercharger do what it can do and not restrict it as much as it is now!

I don't know but maybe I am right or wrong but that is my 2 cents
    Viper MT Owner/Driver
    www.ViperMT.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information