Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saftey stand down

Members do not see advertisements
    In most jobs (at least mine) when there is an incident that involves either major loss of of property, personal injury or death, a saftey stand down is implimented. Given the recent accidents in Monster Trucks has such measure been taken. Regardless of it is a freak accident, uncontroable circumstances, or who is at fault, an investigation begins.

My question is, what steps have monster truck promoters taken. Has there been any type of stand down, or new safety measure?
    may be itll go, may be itll blow, well either make history or be history.

Dennis Andreson

I find this to be a interesting topic. I will say this

I believe that almost every precaution has taken place at one point or another, most are still implimented and enforced at there strongest. The trucks are almost as safe as they can make them without interfering with performance. The safety with officials and such have done the best they can to keep people far enough back to stay out of harms way yet get them close enough to see the action. There is always room for more improvement. If you got ideas, voice them.

I beleive there are small flaws in some of the rules set forth, however, its not my place at the moment to really comment on them. Either way, its the way it is for a reason.

I think the incidents that have happened are what they are, just sudden freak accidents. Most incidents that do happen in this sport, as preventable as most have been, happen so fast that its hard to really catch it in the act in lack of a better term.

I accept it for what it is.

That is about all I will really say about this.

I'm of the opinion that however freak an accident, however little incidents occur, and however culpability any individuals have for the accident, that after the dust settles and a period of mourning ends, you have to take a step back, overlook the landscape, and re-evaluate just to make sure all safety measures have been taken.

You can't leave anything out there in terms of safety. We all know this. And right now, 2009 is turning into one of the worst year's this sport has seen in terms of fatalities from those not racing, and its only one month in. If anything, anything at all, can be found to prevent what's happened from happening again, I think we can all say the sport will be better because of it.

Even if we don't find anything that can help, it never hurts, even in times when things are going well, to take a fresh look at safety and assure everything can be done to prevent any injuries and death.

My job with the Coast Guard involves us patrolling in 25 foot small boats. before i got there we flipped a boat. the coxswain, (driver) was being stupid and hauling asss at night in an unknown area, he hit some jetties and endowed the boat. no one was serriously injured but ALL operations came to a stop. teams were deployed to investigate, Our entire unit was recalled and interviewd, breathalizer were done, eventually the unit even hired experts to come in and study our sleeping habit to see if that had a factor. the point i am making is when something serrious happens, we shut everything down and make changes to the manual. why has this not been done in Monster Trucks?

Dennis Andreson

Im not sure exactly what a safety stand down is, but I can tell you this:

There are people already working on a solution to help in preventing something like this weekend's accident from ever happening again. As soon as there is a working "solution" it will be made public. Dont expect it by this weekend, and the system being designed would not necessarily have prevented the accident this weekend, but it will be a general safety improvement for the monster truck community as a whole.

The one thing that will change immediately are the people enforcing the policies that are already in place. You are going to see a definite step up in safety policy enforcement, and where it seems fit there will be new rules put into place.

This entire industry as a whole is not even close to being worth what one single human life is worth. Injury and or Death is NOT acceptable under ANY circumstances, and there are people working on solutions to keep everyone safe, so that we all get to go home safe at the end of the night. Accidents are just flaws in the system presenting themselves in a tragic manner, and the flaw must be eradicated without compromise. Accidents happen, but ignoring the cause and not working out a solution is negligence.

What bothers me is when trucks suffer damage during freestyle yet continue their run.

The truck would ( if tech'd at that point in time ) fail inspection but is allowed to continue the run regardless.

Trucks should be able to pass inspection ( for the most part ) at all times and the whole time on the track. A truck with a broken shock tower and broken champaign glass should not be out on the track spinning donuts.
    Last edited by chopper; January 26th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Agreed, look how much tension shocks have, let one of those get damaged and shoot off somewhere.

Dennis Andreson

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    What bothers me is when trucks suffer damage during freestyle yet continue their run.

The truck would ( if tech'd at that point in time ) fail inspection but is allowed to continue the run regardless.

Trucks should be able to pass inspection ( for the most part ) at all times and the whole time on the track. A truck with a broken shock tower and broken champaign glass should not be out on the track spinning donuts.

This has now changed. At least in Monster Jam. You break pretty much anything and you're done. No more encores either after rolling over.
    *479* Brunswick,Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
    This has now changed. At least in Monster Jam. You break pretty much anything and you're done. No more encores either after rolling over.
    Very happy to hear that. Thanks for the good news.

Members do not see advertisements
    I am not new to the monster truck scenery, as a few of you aren't either. Everyone has the same free will as I do to go to http://www.mtra.us/images/2008RuleBook8x10final.pdf and read the MTRA rule book for 2008. I understand the 2009 book is not readily avaiable yet, but still there are only minor changes to the 2008.

In that book it explains all the safety and the regulations required to compete in the monster truck industry. If you read on page 3 numbers 7 thru 11, they plainly state that there is to be no one in the performance area while the trucks are performing. It also states that all trucks must be performed in a safe manner or the show/race director can shut a truck down.

Now you should be asking the questions: Why was a show promoter inside the performance area while the trucks were still operating. Video shows Mr. Patrick was not operating the truck in an unsafe manner, so you can not hold him or the truck responsible for another persons actions which resulted in his dealth. Next question: Why does Feld or even Live Nation when they owned them, allow Maxiumum Destruction, Grave Digger and several others to compete the way they do? According to the rule book, several of the performances they perform should have beeen shut down and stopped. When a truck gets out of control and leaves the performance area it is to be shut down immediately, I've never seen that happen to Tom Ments or Dennis Anderson.

So now, if there are rules for others to follow, which all do to their best of capabilities, why are some allowed to have their own rules.

After reviewing both the Tacoma and the Madison accidents, it can clearly be said that both those trucks were performing and practicing safe measures in each case. We should all rethink out comments and give the support that each of those drivers and truck owners deserve.

Rewriting the safety codes or rules for monster trucks isn't going to change a thing if everyone doesn't follow them. The truck I work with follows the safety guideline to the max and even takes them further. Monster trucks can not be completely safe to where no one will ever get hurt, so there is no more reason to complain about making them safer.

For those of you who have never been around a REAL monster truck, should consider keeping your opinions to yourself or work with one. Then maybe you can really see how safe they already are.
    Last edited by monsterkarts; January 26th, 2009 at 10:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information