Are Monster Jam logos copyright protected?

Andrew Castagna

Last year for the Path of Destruction tour I made my own custom Lucas Oil Crusader shirt, since there was not one made. This year I am doing the same, and now www.customink.com says you can not use copy-written material. Is Monster Jam's stuff copy written? Here are the logo's in my design... MJ_POD_Logo_Stacked.jpgLucas-Crusader_logo.jpgBreakfast w Champs.jpg

Dustin Hart AM

Lucas Oil and Monster Jam are registered trademarks. If I'm a printing company, I'd rather not tempt their legal staff...

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Unless you have paid for the grafix and or have a release statement handing you the rights to them to you, the grafix artist technically will remain the rightful owner of the grafix and can attempt to come after you latter down the road for what ever reason. As for Monster Jam and Lucas oil absolutely 100% both are held under copyright and trademark.

BiteMeStudios

As long as you aren't selling shirts yourself, you should be fine.
No money has to exchange hands for someone to be in violation of copyright. Only one entity has the right to make copies for ANY reason. (I have probably typed this 50 times on this site alone...RIGHT to make COPIES...RIGHT+COPY = copyright) The company making the would be in violation for making a copy of the logo. When Big A created the design on their computer, they were in violation of copyright laws at that point. The moment that a copy of someone's intellectual property is made, there is a violation of copyright. Money has nothing to do with it.

To Big A, EVERYTHING IS COPYRIGHT PROTECTED FROM THE MOMENT IT IS CREATED. PERIOD. Registering the copyright (which Feld/Lucas Oil do) just makes it easier from a legal sense to fight theft, but has nothing to do with whether or not copyright actually exists. Copyright infringement is theft.

As far as trademark goes, this isn't a violation of trademark. Trademark has to do branding a product or service. the waters are a bit more muddy in that realm.

Dave Genest

looks like if you REALLY want to make that shirt you'll have to go to a craft store and get those print and iron on sheets. They work ok, are cheap, and you can make any changes you want on the fly before you print the image.

bigyoda

Sure its illegal for him to make it but its highly unlikely they are going to go after some random dude making a shirt for himself as a hobby.

This thread is ignoring the real issue here. Why the **** isnt there any crusader merch?

BiteMeStudios

Sure its illegal for him to make it but its highly unlikely they are going to go after some random dude making a shirt for himself as a hobby.
You are correct. However, he is not doing it himself. He is having a company make it for him. That company charges for their services, and would be a much more likely and beneficial (from Feld's legal perspective) target.

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
This thread is answering the question posed. As for your question about Crusader, it is quite possible (pure guesstimate) that there is some sort of legality preventing it. It is not uncommon to share a trademark between entities to a certain level but not allowed to do certain things with it.

BiteMeStudios

[SUB][/SUB]
This thread is answering the question posed. As for your question about Crusader, it is quite possible (pure guesstimate) that there is some sort of legality preventing it. It is not uncommon to share a trademark between entities to a certain level but not allowed to do certain things with it.
Merchandise being one of the most common of those things.

Andrew Castagna

[SUB][/SUB]

Merchandise being one of the most common of those things.
I was talking to Linsey about merchandise at the 2011 Philly show. He said the shirts and etc. were being made, and would come out in January of 2012. Its now 2013 with no shirts so I'm guessing something happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Placed the order this morning and my artwork is no "under review"... Let's see what happens.....

Andrew Castagna

I was talking to Linsey about merchandise at the 2011 Philly show. He said the shirts and etc. were being made, and would come out in January of 2012. Its now 2013 with no shirts so I'm guessing something happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Placed the order this morning and my artwork is no "under review"... Let's see what happens.....
Still didn't get a call or email about my shirt.... art is still "under review"