"Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines" vehicle specs?

1F409

I am looking for the specifications of several 1980s vehicles, namely the four "Muscle Machines" of toy/cartoon fame -- Bigfoot, Black Gold, Orange Blossom Special II, and Warlord.

Knowing next to nothing about the sport, I started with Internet searches. Information on Bigfoot was the easiest to find. Orange Blossom Special was shown in numerous photographs and videos, but the only data I uncovered was from a video review of the AMT/Ertl model kit, which included a sort of "biography" of the truck. For Warlord, I could find only a couple of photos. Black Gold was even worse: apart from its toy and cartoon references, I struck out entirely.

So, I called Patrick Enterprises, left a message, and got a return call from Dan Patrick himself. Mr. Patrick clued me in on how Warlord was cannibalized for other projects, gave me a couple of stats, and told me that old issues of magazines such as "Pulling Power" and "Off Road" might have the vehicle dossiers I need. He also made me aware of the fact that there are forums frequented by fans from back in the day.

If anyone here can provide scans of the relevant pages, or otherwise put me onto a good source of information about the topic, that would be most helpful. Thank you.

1F409

There appears, also, to be an AMT/Ertl model of Bigfoot, but I have yet to find a picture or video showing the truck biography inside the instruction booklet. There are several of the kits (the 1984 version) for sale on eBay, but I'm not going to pay a hundred bucks just to see a piece of paper.

Again, if anyone has data on the various vehicles' performance, I'm looking for all I can get, in order to figure out how they compare to each other.

1F409

Update: In my search for the truck dossiers included with the AMT/Ertl kits, I called the Tomy company. Their representative suggested that I contact the Round 2 company. Round 2 directed me to yet other number, for customer service. The guy at that final one told me that they might have the pamphlet archived somewhere, but they're not going to bother looking it up for me, because it's not in production (i.e., there's no profit in helping me). His suggestion was for me to check eBay, and despite my mention of the hundred-dollar price tags for such models there, he more or less told me "tough luck" and left it at that.

Paul curtis

Update: In my search for the truck dossiers included with the AMT/Ertl kits, I called the Tomy company. Their representative suggested that I contact the Round 2 company. Round 2 directed me to yet other number, for customer service. The guy at that final one told me that they might have the pamphlet archived somewhere, but they're not going to bother looking it up for me, because it's not in production (i.e., there's no profit in helping me). His suggestion was for me to check eBay, and despite my mention of the hundred-dollar price tags for such models there, he more or less told me "tough luck" and left it at that.
As much as I know it will annoy Steve, and he is right because this place for a long time was the internet home of the Monster Truck Industry and I am glad to see it still up, your best bet is to check out some of the Old School Monster Truck Facebook pages. There are a ton of knowledgeable people on there and people that collect that stuff.

1F409

As much as I know it will annoy Steve, and he is right because this place for a long time was the internet home of the Monster Truck Industry and I am glad to see it still up, your best bet is to check out some of the Old School Monster Truck Facebook pages. There are a ton of knowledgeable people on there and people that collect that stuff.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, privacy and ethics concerns preclude me from signing up for Facebook. If you know of anyone on there already who might be willing to act as a middleman, though, please do have them contact me. I'm also on Gab, if that helps (it has a chat feature); and previews of my various projects can be found there, too.

Fat Brian

I can help you on the Bigfoot model front. There are three different versions of Bigfoot that have been kitted, a 78 Ford that would represent Bigfoot 1 or 2, an 87-91 Ford that could represent Bigfoot 2, 3, 4, 6, or 7 depending on what other details you add, and finally a kit of Bigfoot 10 that has an alternate Snakebite version.

The 78 kit is wrong in many ways mainly due to is being based of their existing 73-79 F-350 kit. The bed is wrong, the original kit is a Camper Special version where the rear axle was moved back six inches the spare tire carrier was added to a box in the passenger bed side. Early pre monster Bigfoot 1 had a small tool box in the passenger bed side but it was gone in favor of a regular bed by the time the 66's were mounted. The kit has fender flares but they're not really the correct style and are made to fit the stock wheel openings instead of the cut fenders 1 has always had. The axles are a Mack axle instead of the correct Rockwell units. The engine is a 360 FE instead of the correct 460 385 series engine though the transmission is a C6. Overall, it takes a lot of work to build a correct Bigfoot 1 from this kit.

The 87-91 kit shares the engine and axles with the 78 kit and they're equally wrong in this kit as well. The body, however, is very good and does a respectable job representing what the various Bigfoot trucks were running in this period. One of the biggest issues with this kit is the frame, it's the same frame from the 78 kit which is based on the stock F-350 frame. This is fine for Bigfoot 1, 2, and 3 which used a modified stock frame but Bigfoot 4, 6, and 7 used a square tube frame. So, you either need to swap in a 460 to build the rebodied Bigfoot 2 or a 429 to build the rebodied Bigfoot 3 or swap in a 460 and rebuild the frame to build the rebodied Bigfoot 4 or Bigfoot 6 and 7.

The Bigfoot 10 and Snakebite kits are very good, accurate representations of their subject.

As far as specs on the actual vehicles, there is a great series on Powernation where they rebuild the Alan Root 640 that eventually found it's way into Bigfoot 1.