Building Axles Pettibone Piepans with f106 centers

I am Building Axles f106 with Pettibone Piepan planetaries. I have not desided on the width of the axle yet. Does anyone know a common width to build these axles? A flange to flange measurement on the f106?

RampageFSJ

I'm not sure how common it is, but the 106 housings that I bought that were made for pettibones are 43-1/4" from flange to flange.

Steven

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Not only is it the width of the axle so you fit in your trailer (a semi good idea) but also take into consideration the off set of your wheel so that you do not exceed a 12' width else you might not make it in some of the smaller arenas which would be slightly embarrassing.

ROADSIDE

mines are at 42" , and It gives me 2" on ea. side for my piepan pans to clear a trailer stud. keep in mind the transport rim off set too.

Those flanges are massive! are they off of the old axle? or maybe 2 flanges welded together? I have found out that the pettibones that I have take the same size and spline axle as the clarkes commonly used and The most common axle width that is used is 40" flange to flange. I am told that if I make my housing 40" flange to flange That I will use the same 29" inner shaft that is common to a lot of trucks. So if I break an axle and don't have a spare left in my trailer there is a good chance that someone else would have a spare that would work. Also they are a common length that is stocked so they can be shipped out same day ordered.

RampageFSJ

I didn't notice how much thicker than normal they were until I bought some pettibones with flanges still on them. The guy I bought the housings from said they used to be for clarks so there's a chance they were welded onto the clark flanges

Randy Barton BUGZILLA MT

If those are Zane`s old housings, I welded the flanges onto an old set of Patrick housings that were set up for clarks

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if they look like they are welded a little crooked, it`s because the housings were bent a little and that`s what it took to get everything squared back up and true.

RampageFSJ

If those are Zane`s old housings, I welded the flanges onto an old set of Patrick housings that were set up for clarks

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if they look like they are welded a little crooked, it`s because the housings were bent a little and that`s what it took to get everything squared back up and true.
Yep, haven't looked at them close enough yet to notice. Currently in storage while I wait for funds and better weather to cement my shop. Kinda hard to do when I keep buying planetaries and parts as I find them.:p