Off-Topic Cake Decisions

Discussion in 'Monster Mayhem Discussion Forum' started by Brandon Clark, Aug 26, 2010.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Benchracer Extraordinaire

There was a thread on here a few months back with Monster Truck Cakes in it, and in my attempt to one-up you guys, I'm planning on having a 3D cake of my own. However, I've ran into a problem.

I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE!!

I'm a big fan of alot of teams, and I like so many trucks, its really freakin' hard to decide which one to do.

I wanna stay away from the overdone, uber popular trucks like Grave Digger, Max D, Bigfoot, etc etc. I like to root for independants, but man, there's jsut too many!

So I need some input mayhem. If you were getting married, and your grooms cake was gonna be a monster, which one would you pick?

2. Aug 26, 2010 #2

MaxD4ever

MaxD4ever

MaxD4ever

War Wizard would look sweet.

3. Aug 26, 2010 #3

RKM

RKM

RKM

My own truck if I have it by then, otherwise Crushstation.

Oh and you better plan to mail a piece to each of us. :cool:

4. Aug 26, 2010 #4

massei054

massei054

massei054

Ewwww!!!! Lobster and Cake combined, where do I throw up! lol jk. I like that idea and it would be pretty cool to see it made.

If I had to choose one it would have to be between Tail Gator and Jurassic attack just on body shape alone.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. Aug 26, 2010 #5

Dustin Hart AM

Dustin Hart AM

Dustin Hart AM

From my experience working weddings pretty much every weekend from May through October I will say this. If you want to do more than just look at your cake avoid fondant like the plague. It's some of the nastiest stuff I've ever come in contact with. I honestly don't think it's edible at all yet it's supposed to be. I've found cake plates that got put in really obscure places that have sat for months at a time and the fondant doesn't mold, deteriorate, change colors, or anything. I can't imagine what it does to your insides.

Sorry for that rant. I just hate that stuff with a passion.

6. Aug 26, 2010 #6

thelegendaryone

thelegendaryone

thelegendaryone

how about a patrick chassis truck with a paint scheme from your mtm2 days?

7. Aug 26, 2010 #7

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

Dude, fondant is just marshmallows. If you can eat Rice Krispies squares, then you can eat fondant.

8. Aug 26, 2010 #8

ed3165

ed3165

ed3165

Fondant isnt really just Marshmallows. I second what dustin says I worked wedding myself and people who have use it come back and say they wish they had not its just horrible stuff.

9. Aug 26, 2010 #9

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

Well, I guess I may have made an assumption about fondant in general. At the very least, the fondant that we make has marshmallows as its main ingredient.

10. Aug 26, 2010 #10

monstermaiden

monstermaiden

monstermaiden

Yep

I have found it to be not very good to eat. Looks good on those cake shows but not for real life. There are some places that make some very good tasting fondant, but, you are going to pay for it.
    Go with regular frosting and enjoy. No matter what truck idea you go with, as long as you like it, it is a success.

11. Aug 27, 2010 #11

look-out

look-out

look-out

I would consider myself an amateur baker but i like to experiment a lot and the only time fondant works ok as part of an edible cake is when its part of a pool or something thats almost totally flat on the top (cousin had a replica of his pool at home complete with pool toys for his 3rd birthday). that only worked ok because the fondant was cut into individual tiles and could be broken apart fairly easy.

pretty much you have to sacrifice looks for taste/ability to eat. it doesnt have to look like garbage, but if you want a monsetr truck made out of cake that has a tube frame, shocks, etc you wont be able to enjoy it as much.

Not sure if you wanted to go this route, but you could make the cake be the backdrop/course and use toys to complete the scene. very easy to do.

or what about bigfoot 1 doing the first car crush at the pontiac silverdome?

12. Aug 27, 2010 #12

Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

monster truck cake

I'd go with Avenger,or either of the "Mutt" trucks. Maybe Brutus,or Predator....AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH !!!!!!!! CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND !!!!:confused:

13. Aug 29, 2010 #13

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Benchracer Extraordinaire

I want to go with a more conventional looking truck, since not all of my family is monster truck orineted, the uninitiated would probably see Crushstation and say "why is his cake a lobster on wheels?"

Avenger sounds like a good one though. I want someone thats pretty simple since this woman is new to 3D cakes, and Avenger isn't too awful complicated.

14. Aug 30, 2010 #14

fastj14

fastj14

fastj14

Deal Breaker.

15. Aug 30, 2010 #15

indyh2

indyh2

indyh2

My fianc? and I found a woman in Ohio who makes awesome fondant or however you spell it lol. All hope isn't lost... I do agree though, most tastes like total crap.