CJ-5 Tough Truck Project.

charliewagner

I've been wanting to build a CJ-5 tough truck since a friend mentioned he was thinking of building one. Since he no longer does tough trucks I figures I'd give it a try if I ever find a CJ-5. A couple weeks ago I picked this baby up for $500 and also got a 8000lb winch with it for $250 that's worth $520. A very lucky find. I'm looking forward to the 2014 season!

Marvin

Luck find,, I was looking at a 72 ram charger for 800
Had set for months but when I called it sold day before

charliewagner

I always jump on something I need as soon as I can. Especially when it comes to Jeeps. lol. I might even pick up another CJ-5 here soon for spare parts because it has headers with the exhaust that comes out under the driver and a fiberglass body. Who knows maybe the axles are geared different from what I have right now and even if they aren't I could buy the ring and pinions to make it different that way if I have a smaller or larger event coming up I can just swap out the axles for a better gearing.

Marvin

that's cool ,post pictures to update , fiberglass is nice to ,
great find again,,,
I used to have 69 bronco to go trailing with but my lack of
how things work made it to costly .now I'm always learning :)
,,marvin

charliewagner

Here's a little CJ-5 update. I got some fenders, painted and mounted them. I also ordered a pair of headers and working on getting the exhaust manifolds off spraying them down with some Gibbs to hopefully avoid any troubles.
1522007_10152191542669882_1811287482_n.jpg

charliewagner

I can't believe I keep forgetting about this forum now. Here's my second run with the CJ-5. It was at a race where you get to do more than one run but my fuel pump literally went when it was my turn to pull up to the line. But I feel redemption has been made with this run even though I still left needing to do a repair. I was literally pumping my fist and screaming YEAH! after I made this run but edited it out. lol.
[video=youtube;jZj2lwTxS4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZj2lwTxS4A[/video]

A little more practice and testing with it and I'll be ready to go full throttle.