Do Truck Sponsors effect your purchases?

broncoguy87

Hey guys. It seems like sponsors have become more and more important in these tough economic times. I was just curious if the sponsors your favorite trucks carry actually effect the purchasing decisions you make for your own rides? Because im a huge Bigfoot fan, I try to buy as much from summit as I can. My jeep will also be getting a set of new firestones next spring.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
I think about it at times. 90% of the time the companies sponsoring a certain truck have products that don't apply to a consumer vehicle or a daily product need. I looked for a Rislone fuel treatment at my local AAP, didn't have it. So ended up with a Lucas product. Can't lose with either one.

Christian Riedel

Not in the least bit. I know what I like, I know what I don't. Even if my favorite truck was sponsored by Quaker State (or some other crap oil company) I wouldn't put a drop of it in my engine unless I was between a rock and a hard place.

carcrusher

i tend to stick with said products, but being a racing fan my whole life i don't know any better. my two toughest choices are to support my local auto parts stores or advance (small things i go to advance cuz it's super close for me) and lucas vs amsoil . . . . .

adamsoffroad

Same here. I try to support my local Keystone Performance dealer though I love Bigfoot and have bought from Summit. But Keystone can meet or beat summits prices with out the shipping costs, Plus if I get a bad part (ie Crane cam that missed the heat treating process) they do their best to replace it for me at the least cost possible. And I run Lucas and Amsoil both in my stuff soooo. I'd say some maybe but not whole heartedly.

JRB4337

I usually try and support sponsers that are in the monster truck industry, but if I am unable too I don't let it bother me that much. And like said before if there are competin sponsers such as Lucas Oil and Amzoil or Goodyear and Firestone, I'll try and use both in different situations so that I fell I haven't favored one over the other. But personally sponsers that help my sport, favorite sports, or my race team, I try to support them in return when I can.

adamsoffroad

For what size engine? My buddies 460 (which the cam went in when it went to a 513) had the same thing happen. IIRC, they replaced the cam, but not the pushrods or lifters that got screwed.
460 They made good on everything in mine which was basicly the cam and lifters.

TeamMayhem

In all honesty, yes it does.

When Jim Creten was able to secure the CSK sponsorship, I made the choice to buy parts from CSK and their other affiliates. It was a way for me to help the cause. Why? Because it's relative.

Money you spend to the sponsors, during their time of support, does show up in statistical reports. It shows, through financial reports- and is always contrasted between marketing efforts and quarterly sales.

So, when CSK ended their relationship with Jim, I closed my account- and moved to Napa. (And that took a dime out of CSK's pocket. My yearly parts sales total nearly $40K)

So, support your teams by buying from those who help them. It's relative.

goleafsgo

Absolutely, maybe not as evident with monster truck sponsors....but any companies that support short-track racing around these parts I 100% support when I can.

pauls

In all honesty, yes it does.

When Jim Creten was able to secure the CSK sponsorship, I made the choice to buy parts from CSK and their other affiliates. It was a way for me to help the cause. Why? Because it's relative.

Money you spend to the sponsors, during their time of support, does show up in statistical reports. It shows, through financial reports- and is always contrasted between marketing efforts and quarterly sales.

So, when CSK ended their relationship with Jim, I closed my account- and moved to Napa. (And that took a dime out of CSK's pocket. My yearly parts sales total nearly $40K)

So, support your teams by buying from those who help them. It's relative.

I hear ya cluckin big chicken. I try to support the sponsors as much as I can. And where I can't, I try to support people who are doing well for the sport (ie, AA Speed in Virginia... very knowledgable staff, ALWAYS get the orders right, never had a bad thing to say/think/feel about them). They do not sponsor me, or do me any favors that they wouldn't do for any other customers of theirs. They're good to me, and I am good to them. I would say though, that if somebody in their field stepped up and became a major sponsor, it'd be tough for me to quit calling Patty.

When we're on the road, I always try to find Advance. My truck runs NGK plugs, Brad Penn oil, Amsoil trans fluid, MSD ignition any every now and then I'll hit up summit for some parts.

TeamMayhem

I hear ya cluckin big chicken. I try to support the sponsors as much as I can. And where I can't, I try to support people who are doing well for the sport (ie, AA Speed in Virginia... very knowledgable staff, ALWAYS get the orders right, never had a bad thing to say/think/feel about them). They do not sponsor me, or do me any favors that they wouldn't do for any other customers of theirs. They're good to me, and I am good to them. I would say though, that if somebody in their field stepped up and became a major sponsor, it'd be tough for me to quit calling Patty.

When we're on the road, I always try to find Advance. My truck runs NGK plugs, Brad Penn oil, Amsoil trans fluid, MSD ignition any every now and then I'll hit up summit for some parts.
I've been called a lot of things in my life, but that's a first! LOL

Thanks Paul, Advance Auto isn't in California yet, but if the day came- I'd be interested in checking out their prices and looking into it.

MonsterStyleCom

I hit up Advance Auto Parts all the time. I try to buy sponsor products when I can. Money also comes into play, if it cost 10-20% more, I'll pass.

ls1monster

I recently purchased a new Magnaflow cat back for my Camaro. I did research quite a few different companies and I remember seeing Magnaflow being a sponsor. So it all worked out for me. :)

MonsterTruckLuvin

Sponsors absolutely affect my purchases whether I'm consciously thinking about it or not.

Absolute first choice in auto parts is Advance. I make a point to go there. Thanks to Monster Jam.

I've never had a brand loyalty, but I find myself swinging unconsciously towards Ford products.
Thanks to Monster Jam and to some extent John Force Racing.

Before things changed some, I had a great interest in Dodge thanks to Hall Brothers Dodge sponsorship.

I've never used Lucas Oil Products, but I have had greatly increased interest thanks to NHRA, Morgan Lucas, Lucas's involvement in everything, especially obscure racing, and monster trucks.

Del Taco isn't in my area, but I made a point to try it while in vegas simply because of Del Scorcho.

Will go to almost any AM/PM I see. Thank to the AM/PM trucks.

Have looked into UTI and its offerings. Thanks to Monster Jam.

Have a raised interest in Suzuki recreational vehicles because of George's Monster Nationals.

Refuse to shop at O'Reilly because, primarily, that they ended sponsorship of Creten's trucks. They also ended most other CSK team sponsorships.

I've tried "energy drinks" simply because of sponsorship, Red Bull in F1 and other various motorsports (air race, rally, etc), Full Throttle in NHRA.

I think of Jimmy Johnson everytime I go into a Lowes. I don't care for JJ, but I still think about it.

I like 7/11 because of Kanaan in the IRL. Target because of the IRL.

I'm more likely to buy Izod apparel because of the IRL sponsorship.

Now, while susceptible, I will still make my own decisions. It is an influence, not an absolute. If I don't care for the product, or don't like its outcome, or have had bad personal experiences, etc. I'm not going to use said product. However, if other items are comparably, I'm more likely to buy that product if it is a close decision.

The worst thing that a company can do is END THEIR SPONSORSHIP of something I am faithful to. I hold that against them possibly more than the loyalty benefits while in effect.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Chris you bring up a good point! Didn't even think about it, but its huge.

Bigfoot fan 4-life and hated, despised, loathed USA-1. Will never own a Chevy STILL because of that. Silly, maybe. Loyalty, absolutely.

As soon as HBR grabbed the Dodge deal, started kickin' major butt with Raminator, what did I do? went out a bought a Ram. Not new, but still a Dodge product. Then a Dodge Van, then a Dakota, went back to Ford (MISTAKE!), dumped the Ranger and I'm back in a Dakota.

Furious Rodimus

Sponsorship tends to effect my decisions about products I haven't bought before or haven't been satisfied with the previous product. I know Ive used the "if it is good enough for ______ then its good enough for me" logic on a few occasions but I can't remember any off hand.

Pullin_and_Monsters

Sponsorship deals tend to work with me, but its hard as pulling, monsters, and circle track are my 3 big passions, so its hard to go back and forth from O'Reilly to AA, and to Napa. Its the reason most of my tools are Craftsman, because they are #1 every where. Its difficult to support all three, but I do what I can. I can tell you my hauler will have Goodyear's, my truck on Firestone's, and my race car will have Hoosier, all because of how sponsorship and contingency deals work out.

look-out

i remember as a kid whoever was the title sponsor of the event was, id ask my dad to stop by there once in a while around the time of the event. good chance of a truck display or event posters/merch at the vendor. team goey dodge for lebanon valley was a good example.
im sure there are at least a few kids who asked their parents to go to an advance auto because of monster jam.