Equalizer monster truck history

ProTruckChallenge

Equalizer debuted owned by Gary Cook and driven by David Morris. it had R2's if I remember correctly, but they were quickly switched out for 66 inch terra tires. Greg Holbrook took over for David and the Equalizer was painted blue and white. David Morris would eventually return in the early 90s, and eventually buy Equalizer off of Gary Cook. David would rebody Equalizer into a newer style S10, and run it like that for a few years before selling the entire operation to Mike Hawkins. Mike sold his leafer ford called Rebel Pride in order to buy Equalizer. Mike switched up the paint slightly before buying a new chassis in which Equalizer would end up on. the original Equalizer would go on to become Hot Tamale, originally using the same S10 body, before being updated to a newer style S10. Mike would eventually buy a third chassis, and again switch Equalizer to the latest of the three. Hot Tamale would go on the previous chassis, and the original Equalizer chassis would become Ragin Rebel, as they run today. Ragin Rebel also does some shows as Equalizer to this day.

hope that helps.

JonC5

they were R1s but everything else you said was correct...r2s are deep tread and usually checkmark in tread pattern...belive me i know i deal with them
every single weekend...

Last edited:

tim71

Also, when equalizer first came out it had a naturally aspirated engine and air bags. Later of course, it got a super charger, then during the 89 season, it switched from the airbags to the coil spring suspension then for the 90 season it went to coil-over shocks. Then for the 90 finals, it went alchohol injection.

Tim

MrMonsterTrucks

Talk with Mike Hawkins

I had a nice tak with driver Mike Hawkins aka "Psycho Man" when he came down for the Firebird Raceway show and I asked him about something I had heard from a Youtube video that back in 1990, Owner Gary Cook and Driver David Morris broke up He answered that the reason Cook and Morris could no longer see eye to eye is because Morris bought Equalizer from Cook Anyone have thoughts on that?

carcrusher

Cook owned the truck up through like '95 or something - had Morris owned the truck when him and Cook broke apart in '90, the truck would have went with Morris.

DiggerFan

I had a nice tak with driver Mike Hawkins aka "Psycho Man" when he came down for the Firebird Raceway show and I asked him about something I had heard from a Youtube video that back in 1990, Owner Gary Cook and Driver David Morris broke up He answered that the reason Cook and Morris could no longer see eye to eye is because Morris bought Equalizer from Cook Anyone have thoughts on that?
I always thought that Morris bought the truck later on, since when Greg Holbrook became the driver in 1990, Gary Cook was still identified as the owner on TNT Motorsports broadcasts.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Gary Cook being interviewed about the Equalizer truck at a USHRA show in 1993, so I think he may have still owned the truck at that point.

Paul curtis

I always thought the reason was more because of David Morris becoming a Father right at the start of the 90 season.... they talk about @ Nashville where Dennis trashes the red body EQ by running over it.... David flew home that night(cause Mike Wine drove EQ the next nite, a severely damaged EQ) and would not be seen in the truck again until sometime in mid 91

HawnMT

David Morris definitely didn't own the Equalizer during the '90 TNT season. He was interviewed at Louisville Motor Speedway(the weekend Andy Brass made his legendary runs in BF4) and while he did mention just becoming a new father he never mentioned exactly why he left Gary Cook a few weeks earlier. But the Equalizer was Gary Cook's truck throughout that season because he was the was arguing with TNT over the kill boxes losing him some races(including the finals at Louisville when BF8 won the World title). I should also add that David Morris drove John Moore's No Problem for one weekend after he left the Equalizer team later in the season.

Jus Show N Off

One further correction: Mike Hawkins nickname is "Mad Man"... apparently some announcer was embellishing a bit too much.

Kouvre

Can I get one confirmation from someone in the know, even though it's plainly in front of me picture wise: The original Equalizer chassis, in its 22 years of use, has never used leaf springs, correct?

Paul curtis

going back to the earliest pictures I can find, I see no evidence of leaf Springs, not even hangers to show that they were once there

Kouvre

Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you. Now I know that I am not crazy. I know what leaf springs and their mounts look like, yet some people out there think otherwise. Thank you for confirming, Paul.