Favorite Side-By-Side Matches Of All Time

Discussion in 'Monster Mayhem Discussion Forum' started by #75race, Jan 10, 2011.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Jan 10, 2011 #1

#75race

#75race

#75race

Thought this would be a neat idea for a thread. :D What are some of your favorite, or most memorable side-by-side/head-to-head monster truck races of all time? There's plenty that come to mind for most of us, but what are the ones that REALLY stick out inside your mind? What was it that made these races something special and just made you sit back and think: "Wow..."?

Whether you've witnessed them live, on t.v., or even if you were in it yourself, let's all hear about your favorite side-by-side, head-to-head, one-on-one, mano-a-mano.... Okay I'm just gonna stop. I think you guys get the picture. :rolleyes: What are your absolute favorite monster truck races of all time?

For me, one of the most memorable and intense ones to me, was being at World Finals 7, watching Dennis going against Meents in I think the second round.(?) Digger was my favorite going into the show, and at the time I was remembering Digger's track record against Meents in WF racing. But it didn't matter cause I was pumped, but super nervous. I believe Tom hit a turning pole, but I don't think I even noticed. I just remember Digger getting across the line first, and me jumping up and down like a kid in one of those bounce castles. :p Of course almost every round Dennis ran, had me almost biting my fingernails, but his run against Tom was the one that I remember most.

Well, I'm tired of typing so I think I'm just gonna list a couple for now.

* Dennis Anderson's first WF racing win in 2004. He ran nearly perfect races all night and never missed a beat. And it was cool watching him really cherish that racing win. He deserved it.
    * Digger beating Bigfoot in St. Paul, MN.
    * King Kong vs. Carolina Crusher in Myrtle Beach, SC. (Not because of King Kong crashing, but to see Steve Cain climb out of that truck unharmed. That was unbelieveable.)

More to come later. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. Jan 10, 2011 #2

tazfan17

tazfan17

tazfan17

Backdraft and Ramminator in Charlotte 2010
    Brutus and Ramminator Charlotte 2010

Those were the clostest races ive ever seen in my life and luckily i was there :) :)

3. Jan 10, 2011 #3

#75race

#75race

#75race

Oh jeez, how could I have forgotten those?! That was some intense, monster truck racing at it's finest, IMO.

4. Jan 10, 2011 #4

tazfan17

tazfan17

tazfan17

yea did you go there?

5. Jan 10, 2011 #5

Jason Twite

Jason Twite

Jason Twite

Freelancer

Awesome Kong vs. Bigfoot at the Return of the Monster Trucks in the Superdome. That one will also sit up high no matter what.

In the more modern era, the ones that I instantly thought of I watched live in Topeka Kansas for the Monster Truck Challenge in 2004.

[​IMG]

Night 1 Hot Wheels (Knell) vs. Rammunition (Benear). Incredible come from behind win for Benear with massive air off the final jump.

Night 2 El Matador (Basl) vs Max D (Foster). Basl had him covered on the outside lane, made the inside turn on the final stretch and then here comes Foster roaring down the stretch and blasts by to win by thiiiiiiis much:
    [​IMG]

The whole event was phenomenal.

6. Jan 10, 2011 #6

MasterofTame

MasterofTame

MasterofTame

Classic era:
    Jus Showin' Off vs. Bigfoot IV at Louisville Motor Speedway in 1988
    Bigfoot VIII vs. Equalizer at Mid-South Coliseum in 1990.

Modern era:
    Grave Digger vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle at Anaheim stadium in 2009.
    Bounty Hunter vs. Scarlet Bandit at Chase Field in 2010

7. Jan 10, 2011 #7

rainyday290

rainyday290

rainyday290

Louisville Kentucky 1990, Bigfoot vs Carolina Crusher. Bigfoot stalled off the line, and then came back to win it.

8. Jan 10, 2011 #8

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

Ok, I'll play...

Bigfoot (Jim Kramer) v. Awesome Kong II (Jeff Dane) - Return of the Monster Trucks - Greatest call of a monster truck race of all-time in one of the most historic races ever. It was a "last chance" everyone else to level the playing field for notoriety and beat Bigfoot on national TV. Jim Kramer was a man possessed and wouldn't let it happen, jumping onto the cars in a time where pop-and-drops were still amazing to fans. The first national TV exposure of the greatest driver of all-time.

Bigfoot (Rich Hooser) v. Bearfoot (Fred Shafer) - USHRA Houston, TX 1987 - One that I feel may be the most underrated race of all-time. This is still one of, if not the, biggest rivalry we have ever had in our sport. This is the final round race of the "world finals" from that year (or so it was named on TV). The track was u-shaped and featured the infamous "pyramid of cars. At the time, I wondered why "this new guy' was running Bigfoot and not Jim Kramer. 20 years later, I learned that Kramer had hurt his shoulder running in Oakland before this race, giving Rich Hooser the chance to shine. It came down to no more than a couple feet in the end. They showed replay after replay and awarded the race to Foot. This race, more than any other, was the reason I was a USHRA kid, and not a TNT kid. I liked turns.

Fast forward almost 20 years...

Clydesdale (Bennett Clark) v. Reptoid (Jim Jack) - AMP St. Charles, MO 2007 - I know, this one seems out there. A small arena show that is not even important enough to be an afterthought. To me, however, it was the beginning of my foray into this industry, as it was the very first show I ever filmed for TMB. These guys raced each other extremely hard...TO THE STARTING LINE...FOR LANE CHOICE?!? Yes, you read that right. Bennett Clark actually bumped Jim Jack out of the way to get the lane he wanted. Bennett won the race that night.

Raminator (Mark Hall) v. Mopar Magic (Carl Van Horn) - MTC Nashville, TN 2008 - These trucks were both Dodges, but that is about where the similarities here end. The track was a LONG St. Louis-style (more of a KC-Style, where they turn in the same direction, rather than opposing) and Mark Hall won by no more than a couple feet. The final drag from the last turn to the finish was the most intense few seconds I had seen live up until that point, and would stay that way for just shy of two years afterward.

Bigfoot (Dan Runte) v. Bounty Hunter (Jimmy Creten) - RMR West Valley City, UT 2010 - This is the "almost two years later" I mentioned in the previous race. RMR is famous for its Figure-8-style hourglass shaped course. It is one of the ultimate driver's tracks. Fittingly, the finals of night one feature two of the best drivers in the history of the sport in a two-lap race. Creten led after the first lap, but Runte just stepped into another dimension in lap two. It was Runte taking the win by less than half a truck. The final turn before cars, with a fountain of sparks flying off the brakes of Bounty was a sight I will never forget. It was indescribably intense to see that live. Both guys wanted the win in the worst possible way.

9. Jan 10, 2011 #9

#75race

#75race

#75race

Well, no, but I did see coverage of the show on TMB Actiontracks.

10. Jan 10, 2011 #10

Cale Putnam

Cale Putnam

Cale Putnam

Administrator Site Admin Moderator

Bigfoot (Kramer) vs. Skoal Crusher (Reis) in Buffalo in 87 (3:25 in this video). The dash to the line in that final No Man's Land may make this one of the first truly modern monster truck races:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bXHbIPBrac"]YouTube - USHRA Buffalo 1987 Part Five[/ame]

Bigfoot (Kramer) vs. Ecology Eliminator (Reis) in Anaheim in 1991. Yep, these two again (Reis was an overlooked rival of Bigfoot, eh?). Controversial finish and totally memorable, even if the wrong truck got the call.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-XONMPEFA8"]YouTube - Classic Monster Trucks: Ecology Eliminator vs Bigfoot[/ame]

11. Jan 10, 2011 #11

Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus

Bigfoot vs Firestone Wilderness in Indy 1998, Obstacle course finals. A tight track and an excellent finish.

12. Jan 10, 2011 #12

carcrusher

carcrusher

carcrusher

A great matchup to me not only has to be a great race, but must have the buildup to it beforehand, where the intensity is just buzzing in the air before the light even goes green.

That said, here are my short lists off the top of my head:

Stuff I've seen in person:

Pittsburgh Finals - 1997: Pittsburgh got its first televised event since 1988, and the final round did not disappoint. Local hero Eric Tack in Bigfoot 11 managed to fight off Gary Porter in Carolina Crusher on the technical U-Turn course, among 10 other strong competitors that included Dennis Anderson in Grave Digger and Tom Meents in Monster Patrol:

[​IMG]

Pittsburgh Friday Night 2009 - A semi-final matchup between two great racers inside the Civic Arena, and two heavyweights at that. Mark Hall in Raminator managed to nudge out Tom Meents in Max D, and Tom locked a planetary on the landing to boot. The officials went to the replay 3 or 4 times before calling the winner:

[​IMG]

Charlotte 2010 - Rich Schaefer puts on the best shows on earth. Period. The Semis and Finals were the best racing I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing in person, bar none.

Stuff from TV:

Houston '00 Fall Show Finals - The first ever televised elimination matchup between Dennis in Digger and Meents in Goldberg. Probably one of the more anticipated matchups in recent history:

[​IMG]

Louisville '90 Semis and Finals - With the prelude to the event including Bigfoot 8 being banned, Andy taking over number 4, and an engine running on the wrong fuel, there hasn't been any greater comeback in the history of the sport.

[​IMG]

And of course you have the finals from Return of the MT's:

[​IMG]

That's enough from me for now - that took way too long to capture, upload and post everything.

13. Jan 10, 2011 #13

JasonMiller

JasonMiller

JasonMiller

Here's the video of that race...it starts at about 3:40 in. Epic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5aEiOwTaw&playnext=1&list=PL797901D4A54CA0C1&index=4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5aEiOwTaw&playnext=1&list=PL797901D4A54CA0C1&index=4[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  14. Jan 11, 2011 #14

Jason Twite

Jason Twite

Jason Twite

Freelancer

Just realized watching that race again that Hall actually tapped the brakes right before the final jump! Not sure why (can't believe he ran out of gear) but he still was able to hang on. Then in the Finals, clearly beat, never lifted going to the cars.

15. Jan 11, 2011 #15

jeb134

jeb134

jeb134

I tried posting earlier but the video didn't post right. Anyway, probably my all-time favorite race was the one mentioned above between Carolina Crusher and the legendary Bigfoot IV with Andy Brass. I watched it so many times as a kid and it never gets old.

Some of the best racing I've seen in person have been the last two World Finals events. There were so many races decided by a couple feet at best and it's awesome to see when everyone there wants to win sooo bad.

16. Jan 11, 2011 #16

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

Yep, I shot that one. One of the best moments I ever caught on tape, too.

As best I can tell, he was "loading" the shocks so he didn't nose over like CVH did. He didn't lift in the finals because he was trying to come back.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  17. Jan 11, 2011 #17

71m07hySm17h

71m07hySm17h

71m07hySm17h

I can't wait to look all these up on Youtube or on my DVD collection and just watch. That'll be an awesome day tomorrow, no school, all monsters. Anyway, a few of my favorites are:

1990 New Orleans USHRA Finals: Bigfoot 4 vs Taurus 2
    Good final matchup that really showed me what John Piant could do. The two fought through the pairings and come down to see each other in the finals. Both are seriously close on times, swapping each fastest during the pairings. The two line up and get ready. They take off and bounce all over the place, with Bigfoot barely taking the win and blowing an engine, whilst Piant bounces into Willman at the very end. It was such an exciting end to such a disappointingly small New Orleans track.

2009 Charlotte MTC Finals: Stone Crusher vs Equalizer
    Oh man this is almost as awesome as 2010, it was just more personal for me because I was there, but couldn't make it the next year, money was tight. It got so close at the end and CVH showed some poles whose boss. Was such a good race to see live.

1990 LMS TNT Semis and Finals: Bigfoot vs Carolina Crusher, Equalizer.
    Self-explanatory really, these races are awe-inspiring.

1999 St. Louis USHRA 2nd round: Bulldozer vs Grave Digger
    The foreshadowing of things to come! What a great race this was. The St. Louis style with a bunch of jumps and moguls was really awesome and I miss it. The was so close in the end with Meents losing it by thaaaaaat much!

1986 Toronto: Bigfoot vs Excaliber
    First Bigfoot loss! Not a lot of people have seen it, but it was a very close race over a pretty extensive course for 1986. It's on youtube and is a blast to watch all the time.

2010 Phoenix, Az FELD Finals: Bounty Hunter vs Scarlet Bandit
    Such a tight good race between husband and wife and it couldn't have been closer! I love the track and the two met for a truly awesome spectacle because of how close Dawn came to winning and how she came back from an early slow start.

2007 MLMT Sparta, KY First round, semis, finals: Raminator vs. Nitro Fish, Gunslinger, and Nitro Hornet
    Cmon! These are EPIC! Anyone whose been to these shows will tell you how epic these were! So awesome!

Well I think that's enough for now. There have been some surprisingly awesome races in the past few years. Monster Trucks in general have the appeal of having an awesome race in 30 seconds and enjoying it greatly while I may watch an F1 race in Brazil for 3 hours that could bore me to death.

Also, not to be an *** to Cale, but I don't think any truck got the 'right' call at '91 Anaheim as the track was really really badly designed and built. The design has potential, but it could go so wrong so easily. Monster trucks don't do hairpins especially gracefully while under intensive throttle and the potential for one to ram another coming out of a Z turn is especially great.

18. Jan 11, 2011 #18

rainyday290

rainyday290

rainyday290

1991 Penda pionts series from Memphis. In the finals Taurus beat Bigfoot by .004 seconds.

19. Jan 11, 2011 #19

southern excitement

southern excitement

southern excitement

Owner - Strait Jacket Monster Truck

there are alot of great races that come to mind when I think about this thread.
    2008 WF first an second round (they were all very close finishes)
    growing up watching on tv I would have to say all the final round races between the great rivals (bigfoot vs usa-1) (usa-1 vs digger) those were classics

But the one that means the most to me was 2008 CFP winter nationals final round race at pocatello. Sean duhon in tmaxx and myself in sudden impact. teamate vs teamate. I personally had had a very good night in racing and from the video we saw at the show and the pictures from fans at the show I won the race with a "come from behind" win but Sean was called the winner. I didnt mind him getting the win because it sealed the deal for him to win his championship that year and I wasnt close enough in points to get it. you can watch the race on the monster blog and decide for yourself who won but I think I did.

20. Jan 13, 2011 #20

bigyoda

bigyoda

bigyoda

Gun Slinger vs. GOldberg - Orlando 2000

Grave Digger (Anderson) vs. Max D (Foster) - Orlando 05

Excaliber Vs. Taz Jax 10

Gun Slinger vs Digger (Anderson) Tampa 09(Hartsock finally wins the hometown show)

Digger(Pauken) vs. Bear Foot (Dropkik) Tampa 2k

All of Tampa 99 after lightning hit the stadium.

Reptoid beating everyone, tampa 96, Orlando 04.

Jax 05 Reptoid almost beting meents in a wet final.

Last pontiac race Anderson vs. Weenk in Outlaw.

Air Force vs. Meents WF11.

Stone Crusher winning his first stadium event Miami 09.