First post - new member

mindstage

Hey everyone -

Just found this site after browsing some info on old school monsters.

I started following the sport at it's birth. I still remember the video of Bob Chandler playing on ABC's "Amazing Videos" (the precursor of "Funniest Home Videos) back about 1980.

My wife and I attended one of the first Battle of the Monster truck shows at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1985, and had a blast.

Then in 1986, my company promoted a car crushing show at our local fair. We had the Michigan Ice Monster, Goliath, and Spiker's Eagle. I have a bunch of photos if anyone is interested (I'll have to scan them).

The next year, we did two more shows a local speedway, and brought in Lon Ranger, Spiker's All American, Frankenstein, Michigan Ice Monster, and a Lansing, Michigan-based truck who's name I've forgotten (it was a white '79 Ford, owned by a Four Wheel Drive center).

To my way of thinking, those were the glory days of Monster Trucks, when they were actually made from steel, and looked like the truck most of the fans drove to the show. The plastic body stadium racers are fun to watch, but they're not monster trucks. JMO.

Sorry for the long rambling post. I'll try to keep it shorter next time!

:p

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Welcome!

Oh, and for the record, this is a very dumb question:

"I have a bunch of photos if anyone is interested (I'll have to scan them). "

YES! SCAN THEM!!!! That pretty much sums up the numerous requests you'll get.

And I believe one of our members here owns that '79 Ford!

theace27

the 79 Ford you are refering to is the old Capital City Monster that was owned by Mark Watros who owned Michigan Off Road Center. Matt "terrajeep" who is a memeber here currently owns that truck. And yes please can whatever pictures you have!! Thanks, welcome aboard.

MCMsports

Welcome and BTW we love vintage pixs O O O O O OH H H H H H H H Y Y Y Y E E E E E A A A A A ! ! ! ! !

BiteMeStudios

I think I speak for everyone when I say...WE HATE OLD PICTURES! I just despise images of legendary, classic monster trucks from the days when they were full of class, chrome and personal custom touches that reflected the personality of each driver perfectly. Pictures like that just make me sick. You know, stuff like this...

and this...

not to mention this...

and we can't forget this...

or this...

...all of which just make me want to wretch until I pass out. That way, I will never be subjected to such amazing, classic pieces of motorsports history from an amazing era gone by. I HATE THEM!

mindstage

Thanks for the welcome guys! Will start scanning photos tomorrow.

Hey BiteMe Studios, I've been getting a charge watching your videos on YouTube. You do nice work on music selection and editing.

We also did a video of the '86 show called "War of the Monsters." My copy was gobbled by a VCR years ago, but I think I know where there's a another copy. I'll try to get that converted to digital to share too. Great shots of Spiker's Eagle busting a steering link on his first trip up the cars. Those Firestone '73s were a bit much.

Dave Collard

C'mon Colby your way more original then pulling the whole reverse mind games bit on us! We all demand funnier more entertaining posts out of you sir!

Welcome to the board you'll enjoy your stay here and learn a lot!

BiteMeStudios

Mindstage, thank you for the kind words. I wish I had more time to dedicate to the old stuff these days, but the new stuff is all-consuming. I should have a month or so free that I can work with soon, so expect a few more.

So, Dave....what if I claimed to have found Rollin' Thunder in perfect condition in a warehouse in Tokyo, purchased it, and was planning on touring the US. Would that be funny, or just get me skinned alive?

BigWheeledDani!

im new too!

Hey, i'm new too all this forum stuff but im finally so happy ive found other people who love monster trucks too! :)

did any one visit Paddock Wood this year to see the stunt bikes and the american monster trucks?
it was a pretty big event, Big Foot was there! :D it was amazing!!

Dave Collard

So, Dave....what if I claimed to have found Rollin' Thunder in perfect condition in a warehouse in Tokyo, purchased it, and was planning on touring the US. Would that be funny, or just get me skinned alive?
Depends on what day of the week you claim to find it :p

CIDRA racer

Mindstage, thank you for the kind words. I wish I had more time to dedicate to the old stuff these days, but the new stuff is all-consuming. I should have a month or so free that I can work with soon, so expect a few more.

people would bow down for months if it was true

MCMsports

O H H H H H Y E A A A A A ! ! ! ! ! ! snap into a slim jim

I think I speak for everyone when I say...WE HATE OLD PICTURES! I just despise images of legendary, classic monster trucks from the days when they were full of class, chrome and personal custom touches that reflected the personality of each driver perfectly. Pictures like that just make me sick. You know, stuff like this...

and this...

not to mention this...

and we can't forget this...

or this...

...all of which just make me want to wretch until I pass out. That way, I will never be subjected to such amazing, classic pieces of motorsports history from an amazing era gone by. I HATE THEM!

mindstage

the 79 Ford you are refering to is the old Capital City Monster that was owned by Mark Watros who owned Michigan Off Road Center. Matt "terrajeep" who is a memeber here currently owns that truck. And yes please can whatever pictures you have!! Thanks, welcome aboard.
That's right - the Capital City Monster! Thanks ace27. Good to hear the truck is still living - any current pics of it around? Mark Watros was (is) a really nice guy. He broke during one of my shows and offered to refund half the appearance money. We later hired him to pull a float in a parade for us - THAT caused quite a stir! Kids were jumping up and down all through the parade route - since most of them at that time had never seen a real monster truck.