Gladiator?

chryco63

On Taft's site is a page for a truck called "Gladiator." The pics are from a motocross show at the then Skydome in Toronto that I attended back in the early-to-mid nineties. In attendance were Mongoose, Playin' For Keeps, Excaliber, and this Gladiator truck with a late '70s Ford body. I've never seen that truck before (aside from that occasion, of course), and it seems, due to the lack of pictures on the page, nobody else really has, either.

Anybody have any dirt on it?

The event was simply a car crush exhibition. Perhaps it was even a solo timed run over a course, but no racing.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Dave Rife owned/drove it. His later trucks included Bad Boy, Harley Bad @$$, and Black Widow

Yes it was a timed-course obstacle course race. Dave twisted the heck out of the front end on his second run. Pauken won the event.

Richard Scott

I would like to see more pics of it myself. It was owned by Dave Rife. I know Don Sheehey attended that event. I think the photo is his or Neal Barlow's. One of them should be able to let us know more aboutthat event.

Rich

chryco63

Thanks, gents!! :)

Did Gladiator and Harley share the same chassis?

I am going to have to root through my collection of photos when I go home for Christmas. I may very well have some photos from that motocross event. We'll see!

KD58

I think this was the same event that featured White Lightning (or a truck that looked like it), and saw Jesse Birgy careen his truck out of control and up into the safety holds.

chryco63

Although my memory could serve me wrong, I don't believe this is the same event. Unless, of course, it was a multi-day event, and I didn't happen to be there for that particular show.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Kyle you're thinking of the 1991 Skydome event. Another 4 truck lineup: Rambo, P4K, White Lightning, and Excaliber. Birgy took out the seats against White Lightning. White Lightning won but didn't race again and Rambo faced Excaliber twice with Pauken winning both times. They weren't really racing each other, still a timed event but with a staggered start time and both trucks on the course for a short period at the same time.