Got a legitimate dvd burner for christmas

trukir2

... as opposed to the old one which, well, wasn't. I'm in the process of copying all my tapes over to DVD format, starting today, and have a lot of old stuff available if anyone wants a trade or wants to pay for a copy. PM for a list of things I have.

I'm looking for a dvd copy of the War of the Monster trucks series, if anyone has it.

Just went through my old tapes and realized that I had in fact figured out that my Turning the Power On tape was broken and received a copy of that from someone else, so to those who I requested a possible trade, I don't need that anymore.

Thanks.

-Tony

maximumdestruction

how exactly do you burn a tape onto a dvd?
There are several ways to do it. The easiest is to get a DVD/VCR combo recorder. It basically takes the guesswork out and you just feed it DVD's and tapes. They can be had for less than $100.00 now. Of course there are those of us who have wires running everywhere, with several items chain linked in the neverending quest for the perfect picture. :D

SuddenImpact

There are several ways to do it. The easiest is to get a DVD/VCR combo recorder. It basically takes the guesswork out and you just feed it DVD's and tapes. They can be had for less than $100.00 now. Of course there are those of us who have wires running everywhere, with several items chain linked in the neverending quest for the perfect picture. :D
Dont forget the gas generator that needs to be fired up before you engage the flux capacitor that gets everything to work.

trukir2

With mine, its actually a pretty easy, one touch dub with automatic tracking adjustment.

Geez, what recorders did you guys get???

MonsterTruckLuvin

There are several ways to do it. Of course there are those of us who have wires running everywhere, with several items chain linked in the neverending quest for the perfect picture. :D
Hello!:D I think my wife wants to kill me sometimes for it. Not to mention the time I've put in editing and capturing locked away in my layer of monster truck geekiness.

Gravefan

i have a dvd/vcr combo. just need to watch for the speed you record on. I tried "slp" and the video got very grainy. I too am in the process of transfering so one day ill have a list and ill join in the tape trade.

I also go to my college video editing lab and use avid and velocity to do my touch up work. its very nice to have a fully functional lab at your disposial. :D

trukir2

I did LP for the 4 hour record time and I did ok on quality. I wouldn't extend it out further than that.

Met- we've got the same brand, but I have a vr357

Jason Twite

Freelancer
LP is even pushing it. I didn't know any better years and years ago when recording shows off TV. It was "get as many as I can" on a tape. SLP is a waste of quality, even on a BQ tape. SP SP SP!! I cannot stress that enough. Especially when going to DVD! Heck, if you know you only want 1 or 2 shows on 1 DVD, knock it down to XP or whatever the recorder's setting is for 1-hour capacity. Colby will back me up on this and anyone with even a scratch of video knowledge will say the same. If you want to preserve video in the highest quality on DVD, it's XP or SP, don't go anywhere above that. The DVDs are 8-12cents in bulk, and around 22cents from a store like WorstBuy. They're cheap! Take advantage of it!

Or you could back them up on $30-$40 DigiBetaSP tapes! HA! I've got a $3,000 BetaSP deck known as a paperweight right now.

BiteMeStudios

Beta deck?!?! If you are gonna spend $3000 on something useless, you might as well buy a treadmill. At least you can hang clothes on a treadmill.

I cannot stress SP enough. It is not worth saving twenty five cents when it is footage you are going to cherish forever. "Tape is cheap" is an old saying that still rings true. Now it is just DVDs instead of tape. This goes for your home movies as well. I know a lot of you have young children and probably take hours of footage of them. If you have a hard drive camera, set it for highest quality. If you have tape, set it for highest quality and plunk down the extra $20 for a couple extra MiniDV tapes. In 20 years, when you look back, you will thank yourself for doing it.

ed3165

Listen to what jason and Colby are saying they are very right. I have had money years in video production and can say sp is the way to go. Also one more thing if you got a hard drive video camera take it back I haven't found one that can really take a good quality video at all.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
...not to mention anyone with a half-brain who understands exactly what a HDD camera is. Well, at least the folks who walked into my old office and held up the camera and said "how do I get the video off?" Ugh.

The BetaSP deck is at work, we get Beta tapes in from manufacturer's every once in awhile so our bosses splurged on one. Finally got it up and running yesterday.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
unless you get stuff from tntfan, why would you want to use xp mode when copying tv shows from tape?
Because you're using the highest bit-rate possible. Even SP only reaches 5.5 - low to mid 6s when recording. XP is higher, around 6-8 depending on the model.

XP spreads the digital information further out over the disc capacity, whereas SLP is cramming it into as little of a space as possible. More risk for damage, error, and automatic lower quality.

BiteMeStudios

Heck, just do what I do...bring it all into your hard drives in an uncompressed AVI (ok, I am working on doing this) and then encode it at a high level. Once I get them all on my hard drive and then make DVD backup copies, you might see my entire tape collection on eBay for a good chunk of change. But, once I get it done, it will eliminate tape issues and make trading a process that takes a couple hours of my computer's time while I go watch the Simpsons, rather than a couple weeks sitting in front of my chained together VCRs and DVD players trying to make dubs.

(This is semi-sarcastic, I realize that most people do not have the time or resources to obtain terabytes worth of storage to make this happen. This is just my process because I am partially insane, I guess.)

T

Thunder Chicken

I'm still looking for someone that has the entire Monster Wars series and could at least put it on VHS for me so I could convert it to DVD myself. Anyone have it or know someone that does?

rns0504

I got a DVD Recorder last year and am in the SLOW process of moving from VHS to DVD while editing out commercials. Once they're on DVD, I rip an ISO of them onto an external Hard Drive, so all I gotta to is open Nero, burn an ISO, and I eliminated the long process of cutting commercials/waiting for it to copy