have monsters been going in the right direction?

usa-1

ok im not going to act like i know it all because i dont and would hope this dosent turn into a bashing thread i would jut like to give my 2 cents and if any one agrees thats cool and if some one that KNOWS what they are talking about would like to tell me why this cant happen and dont think it would work go for it this was just soemthing i would like to see.

i know i wasent the first to think of this i took the idea from a person who was in the biz and left because he didnt get his way,,,,i think monst of us know who that it

THE IDEA

no invite truck

you must qualify to get into lets say a 10 truck event lets say 16 trucks show up 6 go home thats a event in its self
(the problem i see with this not considering that most trucks are ownd by one company......if fans come to see grave digger and he dont make it in little kids cry?OH WELL)

this would push racing even harder and make it considerd a sport to Everyone

if each race was a points race out of lets say 10 events that makes you a champion not 1 night...consistancy
(that would make me watch every week and put less focus on 1 event)

this would bring sponsors to trucks teams and with a series sponsor these drivers could probly do better for them selfs and when ever you put out any kind of prize money it will atract new team and the sport gets bigger and stronger

all of this is just a thought and is not ment to offend anyone thanks

chopper

Watch this.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1NzhusR2g"]YouTube - BIGFOOT vs SNAKE BITE monster trucks Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Knfg9CQWk"]YouTube - BIGFOOT vs SNAKE BITE monster trucks Part 2[/ame]

Monster trucks took many wrong turns many years ago... To try and sell this to their fans amounts to nothing more than "professional wrestling on wheels".

Monster Wars added to that image.

Monster Truks 2000 killed any thought of legitimate racing.

T

Thunder Crasher

MT 2000 really didnt kill it, just postponed it a while longer.

Really, even though these trucks are capable of crushing buses and tankers and other things, doesnt mean they should. Freestyle is cool, but you dont really win anything from it besides another 2 minutes to add to however long you lasted in racing. Ya know I think its great that they get to come back out and put on a show, but its a part of the show that IMO shouldnt belong, because that money they just earned might have to go into that possible broken part from freestyle, instead of spending it on making the engine better or another set of newer tires, etc.

When it comes to racing, I know most drivers think its more fair to be booked than qualify for an event because its the fact that your guranteed money instead of having a mistake take you out of the whole event and possibly not money, but that is Racing. its somewhat like how life isnt always fair, but not exactly the same. What something like that should really do is drive you to be better and practice and buff up your trucks so that your not the one cruising over the cars or hills, your that guy soaring high among the competition.

What I really think this sport needs is to is go towards a real competition thats more challenging that what we have now at jamborees and monster jams. Tracks that actually test the strengths of the truck by running them on some sort of enduro style course, with mud and crush car hazzards to give it the regular feel, yet be something new. THis sport really needs some type of off road style side by side race course, that or a 2on2 enduro race type track to really show what these trucks can do in off road racing situations, because nowadays these trucks are really just bigger versions of trophy trucks with straight axles instead of IFS.

usa-1

im glade im not the only one that fells this way.......

im sure some day if a sponsor is willing to put out the money to suport a racing leag uuder a good permoter maby there will be a nother alternative to monster jam on speed..............my biggest beef is there world finals anyone can take the chance to over drvie the truck and win but do it over a year long period find out who the best is i agree frestyle should be if the driver deep in there harts want to put on a show other then that no points for it

usa-1

1 more thing these 3d bodys gotta go maby 1 or 2 but man when i trun on the tv it looks more like a animal show with space ships

jwstrand

Monster Trucks are SHOW BUSINESS, not a legit sport.
People are trying to make it a sport, and that won't happen.
I have not been happy with the way things are going.
:mad:

Brandon Clark

Benchracer Extraordinaire
I love monster trucks more than anything, only my family would come before it... but jeff is right, monster trucks is show business... always will be... and it will take a MAJOR reform to change things.

unless monster jam changes its ways, things wont change at all... cause the public sees monster jam more than anything, and tahts waht they deem as "monster trucks"

Kouvre

im glade im not the only one that fells this way.......

im sure some day if a sponsor is willing to put out the money to suport a racing leag uuder a good permoter maby there will be a nother alternative to monster jam on speed..............my biggest beef is there world finals anyone can take the chance to over drvie the truck and win but do it over a year long period find out who the best is i agree frestyle should be if the driver deep in there harts want to put on a show other then that no points for it
Exactly. If there were a points series in 2006, Linsey Weenk would have flatout dominated. Instead, Dennis Anderson gets credit because of a single race. Obviously, Dennis CAN win in a points series (let's not forget that he was the champion of the last pseudo-legit points series USHRA had in 1999, Seattle coverup aside), but 2006 "World Racing Champion?" Please.

usa-1

i hope so much 1 day it will happen even if monster jam just makes it a points year i would reather it then just 1 race make the world finals now just a nother race but hipe it like the daytona 500

SDMFmnChapter

Are we really having this conversation again?!?!?! I'll skip all my usual banter and just say this:

Don't listen to Jasmer........the man is a legend in his own mind, and ONLY his mind. No one else cares about him, he's irrelevent. Period. Also, thank Bigfoot Inc. for wrestle trucks and staged events. Morons. :rolleyes:

Dave Collard

If it ain't broke don't fix it....

Attendence has gone up at every venue in the past 5 years, TV coverage has expanded, souvineer sales are through the roof; all of which attribute to nothing being changed in the for seeable future. In the late 90' Monster's as far as I am concerned were on a downward slide and falling into extinction. What you see here today, which I'll agree is more "entertainment" then anything else has saved the "sport" from a massive and tragic collapse. Why change anything when your riding the upward swing of things? What if it does not work out, and suddenly your back into the late 90's mode again?

Sure MT's today have no real championship, organized series body, or any of the other "stuff" that makes a motorsport a organized motorsport. But is that really as bad as some like to think? I don't, seem to think it is one bit. Monster Trucks are all about unpredictability, seeing something no other racing machine can do. Any other form of motorsports, you usually can predict your going to see something if you had a big enough list. Not with MT's. A pure Monster Truck racing series, while a great form of competition takes away from the unpredicatability. Sure, we could see a big hill, bus, double cars, or a 40 car pit that'd change things up for racing still not leave people wondering the what if's 5 years down the road. Trucks will adapt to new challenges and you'll see the same thing that you did over and over again just like if it was a straight line drag back in 88.

Freestyle is what keeps this sport fresh and on the cuff of becoming even more main-streem then it is now. As a fan I would rather see somebody attempt to freestyle and have no limit's on a floor, then be forced to watch a straight racing event over the same course show but make it for points. Would everyone love to see points? Yes. Will you see it in Monster Jam? No, and yet what baffles me is SO many people here hate LN promoted shows, or hate how they run stuff are so quick to toss their coins in the wishing well in hope for a Monster Jam point series. There's plenty of other series out there that can run for points, and if eventually they take the right approach at marketing themselves you may wind up seeing it on TV. Mind you, your "enemies" at Monster Jam will not be competiting in it.

From a fans point of view, I could careless if we have a points series or not. I don't see it bringing in a slew of new fans, or boosting what we currently have. From my point of view, I don't even care if Rick Raab get's Digger "screwed" twice in one day. The typacil average fan goes to see Monster's because of the unpredictability not for the competition. It was like that in 1988, and it'll be like that in 2008. I didn't start going to shows when I was 4 years old because Bigfoot was a national champ, as I'm sure many of you did not either (whether or not you admit it). It's a shame more people can't appreciate what we already have, and be thankful for even having that.

T

Thunder Chicken

Top venues sell out all across the country, in Canada, and in Europe. Monsters are on TV, toys, t-shirts, lunch boxes, folders, trading cards, ect ect ect. You'd be hard pressed to NOT find someone that hasn't at least heard OF Grave Digger or even Bigfoot. Monsters are more popular and mainstream now than they've ever been before. It's difficult to say that they're not going "in the right direction" with the amount of success they're enjoying right now.

Don

I agree that the sprt is getting stronger.
We are giving the people what hey want. Monster trucks were created from guys with big trucks going places and doing things there not expectd to do and seeing how far they cango with it. Were now doing that to a much more exteme level and all playing within a nearly the same set of rules.

I would hate to see it turn out like Jetski racing. It is aother motorsprt that had freestyle as the main attracton and standup classes were also a big draw. At there World Finals in the mid 90,s they would draw about 30,000 people and charge about $30.00 a day. Then the manufactors started pushing the top riders to ride the sitdowns because thats what most familys buy and the sport died. They now get about 3000 fans at there finals and it,s free to get in.

The fans should come first.
Don

Beerman1

Thanks Don. I'm not going to speak for anyone here but myself. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate that you go out week after week and give the fans what they have come to see. Without guys like you...I wouldnt be able to get paid to do the job I love

Thank you

usa-1

well thanks for all the this

im a way we should all be happy that monster trucks are even on tv due to alot of sports arnt and if this is the way its gonna stay i dont care ive watched it sense 1988 and will watch it for ever

its just a shame theres no points seriers thats my only beef

RyanRoberts

after last night heres my opion : Is it Going In The Right Direction ? OH HECK YEA :D MLMT may be the series that will have a points series soon [ who knows maybe it does now]

THE IDEA

no invite truck

you must qualify to get into lets say a 10 truck event lets say 16 trucks show up 6 go home thats a event in its self
(the problem i see with this not considering that most trucks are ownd by one company......if fans come to see grave digger and he dont make it in little kids cry?OH WELL)

this would push racing even harder and make it considerd a sport to Everyone
I highly doubt this would work.. There is many indy teams out there. If they are not going to make the show and make some $$$. They need the money to make it week to week.

Say if the show is in Dallas, TX and a team from let say Cali. want to be
part of the show. But if they make the round trip which would be like 2500 miles (give or take) and for some reason they didnt quaifly. (like if broke off the line) and get nothing in return?? Then the trip wouldn't be worth it!!!

But one way i can see it working is breaking it down with different regions. Say a western, Midwest and East. Sereis and then the top trucks from each region meet for a Finals. just make it more like the ncaa basketball tourment and have regions and then a final. Each year the finals would be in a different region

rns0504

I always thought it would be cool to have a hybrid-type of payout. Like, the trucks get *** amount for showing up (but not as much as just a booked event. Then, trucks are paid by their performance. Winner gets XXXX, runner up gets ***, etc, on top of their original show-up payout.

T

Thunder Chicken

Here's something I've noticed a lot. People always talk on here about how Live Nation pushes their Monster Jam brand of monster truckin' down the mainstream's throat...but has anyone stopped to think that if a Penda style points series was a profitable way of doing things, Live Nation would be doing it? I mean, LN's only in the business to make money. If there's a way to make more money at this thing, don't you think they'd be doing it? Right now, the people are getting what they want. Butts are filling seats. Kids are going home talking about what a great time they had. Shirts are selling. Toys are selling. The sport is big enough to have us all here on a regular basis to discuss it....Someone PLEASE explain to me how things aren't going in the right direction 'cause I just don't see it.