Houston results

rns0504

Saturday - IRON OUTLAW

Saturday - (tie) MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION & GRAVE DIGGER

Trucks:

Weekend Race Recap

In front of a capacity standing room only crowd at Houston’s Reliant Stadium Dennis Anderson and Tom Meents renewed the greatest rivalry in motorsports with a pair of blistering freestyles that ended in a bit of controversy as the judges scored Grave Digger and Maximum Destruction in a tie for the win, and Kreg Christensen made his Speed TV debut in Iron Outlaw a victorious one by taking the racing competition against a star-studded 16-truck field.

With the superstars testing another brand new track design Jimmy Creten set the fastest time in the Bounty Hunter on a circuit that started with the trucks at the edge of the entrance tunnel, side by side, roaring at a 45 degree angle onto the spacious floor before breaking into St. Louis style twin oval race tracks. Creten appeared to be the man to beat, setting a qualifying time almost two seconds faster than the rest of field and rolled into the semifinals with wins over Grave Digger and Steve Reynolds in Cowboy, but lost his semifinal match-up against reigning World Racing Champion John Seasock and Batman when the Bounty Hunter lost power half way through the race, sending Batman into the Championship Race. IN the other half of the bracket it was Creten’s teammate, Christensen, driving Iron Outlaw to wins over Scott Hartsock in Gunslinger, Daron Basl in the Fiesta El Matador, and then Adam Anderson in Taz to ear the other championship berth. The finale was close to the final turn with Iron Outlaw coming home the winner, the veteran Christensen paying big dividends for his new team.

The freestyle competition was wild from start to finish, but it was Creten who set the standard with a technically strong run that include new cross-thread moves, Bounty Hunter’s score of 23 putting Jimmy in the hot seat. The younger Anderson looked to be ready to give Creten a run, but he flipped Taz half way into the performance and scored just a 16 from the judges. Then his dad brought Grave Digger out for a popular high energy performance that put the Digger on top with a score of 26. Meents was the final competitor in Max-D and he went ballistic, a huge air performance that continued despite his breaking a wheel off near the end of the run but continuing to wow the crowd anyway. Meents ended his run with every one of the more than 60,000 fans on their feet screaming, but the judges scored Maximum Destruction with the same score as Grave Digger, 26. With the trophy presentation be made to both as the winners Anderson refused to accept his share of the win, saying the judges got it wrong and that Meents was a no doubt winner. As he walked away and handed the trophy to Meents, Anderson had one more thing to say to his rival: “this one is yours, but the next one will be mine!”.

RACING RESULTS

Fast Qualifier – Bounty Hunter

1st Round – Bounty Hunter def Grave Digger; Cowboy def Prowler; Batman def King Krunch; Blue Thunder def Air Force Afterburner; Iron Outlaw def Gunslinger; Fiesta El Matador def Jurassic Attack; Taz def Predator; Maximum Destruction def Maniac

2nd Round – Bounty Hunter def Cowboy; Batman def Blue Thunder; Iron Outlaw def Fiesta El Matador; Taz def Maximum Destruction

Semifinals – Batman def Bounty Hunter; Iron Outlaw def Taz

FINALS – IRON OUTLAW DEFEATED BATMAN

FREESTYLE RESULTS

MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION 26 (tie)

GRAVE DIGGER 26

Bounty Hunter 23

Blue Thunder 21

Fiesta El Matador 19

Maniac 19

Gunslinger 19

Air Force Afterburner 18

Batman 16

Taz 16

Iron Outlaw 15

King Krunch 15

Prowler 12

Cowboy 11

Jurassic Attack 10

From ushra.com. Looks like Dennis was showin some class after he gave Meents the freestyle trophy.

rns0504

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rnDaTb2LCc"]YouTube - Monster Jam 2008 Houston[/ame]
Intros

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJfwGOMBaYM"]YouTube - monster jam in houston tx grave digger 2008[/ame]
Grave Digger vs (bounty Hunter?) Nice track design.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT_3VHyDkUU"]YouTube - Monster Jam - Maximum Destruction 1-5-2008[/ame]
Max D FS (WOW @ 2:49)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4umZT5FwjdU"]YouTube - Monster Jam Race Houston 2008[/ame]
Quali Race

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-M7IcgzSL4"]YouTube - Grave Digger Does it Again[/ame]
Grave Digger FS

Last edited:

BoltThrower

It's kinda fitting that Christenson won after being stomped on by Meents in introductions. Thought it was one of the better Houston shows in a long time, right up there with the show a couple years back when Dennis endoed in qualifying.

rns0504

That racing track was nice, but I'm not a HUGE fan of the FS track... just seemed kinda... bland I guess. Then again, I'm used to FL designs

rns0504

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wopnsxyvpk"]YouTube - Monster Jam Opening Houston 1-5-08[/ame]

Can see Meents hit IO at about 1:35

rns0504

Lol these ain't my videos, I'm just diggin them up and posting them as I find them! Wish i coulda gone to houston!

Awesome Kong84

This was one of the best shows that i've ever seen! I've been to many shows in my day but what they did Sat in Houston was amazing! The racing lay out was something different. It was a drivers course which makes the racing more competitve. I have yet to upload the 200+ photos that was taken at the event, and video of the entire show. I woke up today from getting in at 3am this morning and watched the video for the first time. There was soooo much action that had taken place that I needed to watch the it again. I WILL ATTEMPT TO UP LOAD THE ENTIRE SHOW WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS!!! Keep a look out on YouTube for the videos. I darn near ran out of battery and memory cards at the event. lol!

funntheson

That racing track was nice, but I'm not a HUGE fan of the FS track... just seemed kinda... bland I guess. Then again, I'm used to FL designs
I agree, this is supposed to be the new year with lots of changes . . .. The freestyle setup left a lot to be desired. Maybe in order to have better racing, they have to take away from the freestyle setup?

BuddyRo

Have to wait to hear from dustin, but digger looked to be landing better than it was at minny.

Dave Collard

I agree, this is supposed to be the new year with lots of changes . . .. The freestyle setup left a lot to be desired. Maybe in order to have better racing, they have to take away from the freestyle setup?
Only the first show I wouldn't get to worried yet ;). The first Houston show last year didn't have any stationary FS pyramids at all they were all brought in after racing concluded and even then it was just vans.

Awesome Kong84

i was happy with the freestyle. i felt the room the trucks had to work with gave them the chance to really air it out. i was there last year for the 1st show and this year was much better with less. the table tops from last year i was hoping that they would've done the same thing this year... but overall it was a outstanding show. anyone on here gonna be in san antonio for the show coming up??? i hope that the track layout is better than last year. im not a fan of the heads up.

BuddyRo

What happened to digger's headers? Truck doesn't sound the same, and I don't see 'em coming out near the body. They take 'em off for noise reduction?

T

Thunder Chicken

Looks like he hit Iron Outlaw pretty decently, but I have a hard time believing it was intentional. I mean, it really does look to me like Tom did what he could to avoid having that happen but the truck went on into it anyhow. Obviously it didn't hurt Kreg's night too much, either.

madups03

Iron Outlaw was really impressive all night in the racing, although I think Creten in Bounty Hunter would have handled him had the power not gone out on the truck. IO didn't even get to qualify thanks to Max D's intro mishap, so that makes his win even better considering he was seeded so low. Either way 2Xtreme Racing looked pretty darn good.

BlackStallionRules79

IMO they need to tone down the intros. They do not need launching trucks over freestyle obstacles that high before the show starts. One thing happens, and boom Digger and Max D are out for the night, dissapointing alot of fans.

BoltThrower

i was happy with the freestyle. i felt the room the trucks had to work with gave them the chance to really air it out. i was there last year for the 1st show and this year was much better with less. the table tops from last year i was hoping that they would've done the same thing this year... but overall it was a outstanding show. anyone on here gonna be in san antonio for the show coming up??? i hope that the track layout is better than last year. im not a fan of the heads up.
The extra space was for landing areas off the stacks and wheelies. I feel they could have added a bus stack at the other two corners of the stadium but I still enjoyed the freestyle.

I'll be in San Antonio Saturday and Sunday.

Awesome Kong84

yeah when the semi's came around and the 2xtreme team was on opposite sides of the bracket i was happy. then when creten lost power i was frustrated. i really wanted to see a 2xtreme team fight for the racing win last night. but either way it was great.
meents jus couldnt get the truck loose and there he was on top of iron outlaw. i didnt expect for the intro's that digger and max d were gonna jump the bus/van stackes. not to mention that taz was the last outta the tunnel for intro's.
either way congrats to the 2xtreme team for their racing win. i cant wait to see them in san antonio this coming weekend!