King of the Road questions

Discussion in 'Old Skool Monster Trucks' started by Bad Dude, Apr 2, 2011.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Apr 2, 2011 #1

Bad Dude

Bad Dude

Bad Dude

Lately, I've been mulling over this one monster rig called King of the Road. You may or may not have seen it, it's a 1986 Peterbilt once owned by Don Buchholtz of Wyoming, Iowa. Now, my questions are:

1. Where were the fuel tanks on this rig? The stock fuel tanks appeared to have been replaced by these rectangular boxes. Maybe the tanks were in there?

2. How did they transport such a huge rig? They must've had one heck of a trailer for it!

3. Did this truck have rear steering? For that matter, did any other 6x6 monsters (Big Brutus, Sixfoot, etc...) have rear & mid-axle steering?

2. Apr 2, 2011 #2

KD58

KD58

KD58

1.) I'm not so sure those pieces on the side w/ the chrome trim and chicken lights are the fuel tanks, but they could be but they'd have to be mega-custom. I've suspected for awhile that perhaps the fuel tank/cell is in the sleeper berth.

2.) Probably just tired 'er down and put it on a lowboy flatbed. A 53-footer would probably do the truck just fine.

3.) I don't believe this particular truck had rear steering, because the limited video I've seen of it shows this truck turning arround in a space similar to what an aircraft carrier would need.

3. Apr 2, 2011 #3

Rokoneer

Rokoneer

Rokoneer

4. Apr 2, 2011 #4

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

I have no clue on the fuel tank,never thought about it. But I saw the truck a bunch of times and it did not have rear steering. I do know that for sure. Hauling it would not have been much tougher than any other monster .2 extra tires to load.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. Apr 2, 2011 #5

adam tereska

adam tereska

adam tereska

Is the truck still around and in what condition?

6. Apr 3, 2011 #6

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

modeltruckshop

It has been 6 or 7 years since I saw it last Adam. It was in southern Indiana at a trucking company. It was in pretty nice shape still. It had lost a little of the "bling" but that was it. The truck ran and moved around. It was for sale there and supposedly sold to someone in the area but the is the last I havwe known of it.:( Steve

7. Apr 4, 2011 #7

Bad Dude

Bad Dude

Bad Dude

1. Oh, so the sleeper might just be a shell or something? Hmmm...

2. Yeah, I thought it would've been tough hauling the ol' beast because of the length.

8. Apr 4, 2011 #8

Randy Barton BUGZILLA MT

Randy Barton BUGZILLA MT

Randy Barton BUGZILLA MT

Yelton`s trucking sold it 2 or three years ago to someone in ohio I think, Bill yelton was at the shop a few months ago and we were talking about it.
    It still looked pretty good when he had it at his shop but the chrome was rusting and the paint was fading from sitting out all of the time

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9

RnW 13

RnW 13

RnW 13

Its apparently not far from Yankee Lake or Gravelrama(both in Ohio) as I have seen people bring back pictures of the truck after attending both events.

10. Aug 28, 2011 #10

babb_audio

babb_audio

babb_audio

i have seen it in person a few times.as for the hauling it ..believe it or not they drove it up on a low boy semi trailer then let the air out of all 6 of the air bags and that was it.i thought it would be like all the other monster trucks back in the day ..you know the little tires for transporting ,,but i saw it come in for a show and unload..it also wasnt as wide as most monsters..i got alot of pics but these are all i could find for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Aug 28, 2011 #11

babb_audio

babb_audio

babb_audio

as for the fuel tanks in the sleeper..i remeber them getting all the tee shirts and posters and hats they had to sell in there.the driver went back there and got me a pic and hat for me.the pics of the kid on it was me when i was 13.me and a friend got into the gates before the show.the truck pull wasnt set up untill the next day.i could not make it the next day for the show so i missed it.these pics of it ripping a car apart and pulling the car over cars was the next year.then it was driving by a female driver nick named "the princess of power"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Aug 19, 2013 #12

BUBBLESNSTUFF

BUBBLESNSTUFF

BUBBLESNSTUFF

correct, fuel tank was under the sleeper shell, along with propane tanks to ignite exhaust to make flames, they hauled it on a flatbed low boy like someone has said and no it didn't have rear steer.. my mom was the driver of this truck "princess of power"