Truck Related King Rod End Removal: Any Tips or Tricks??

Discussion in 'Monster Mayhem Discussion Forum' started by Sinister '32, Jun 30, 2011.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1

Sinister '32

Sinister '32

Sinister '32

I posted this in the Industry Section but it doesn't get checked very often so I'm asking it here as well.

I'm trying to remove some rod ends from some King shocks with the 1" shaft. I know the threads typically have lock-tite on them, or so I'm told. I have the vice jaws from King and have tried heating the end with a small propane torch, as recommended by King, but they are still being stubborn. Any additional tricks to getting them loose? A particular size of hammer... certain swear words... anything?? I have thought about putting some rubber hose between the shaft and the clamp jaws to help keep the shaft from spinning, is that worth a shot?

2. Jun 30, 2011 #2

pauls

pauls

pauls

More Heat. A lot more heat. If your bump stops are on the shock, put that shaft in a vice and clamp it down as tight as you can. You could also hit the end of the heim with a huge hammer to try to break it loose. I have to do that on knuckles a lot when I take them apart the first time

3. Jul 1, 2011 #3

InsanoRacer

InsanoRacer

InsanoRacer

you need to heat up the rod end hot and fast.... fast to not let the shaft heat up to the same temperature.... if you do it right it should just back right off

4. Jul 1, 2011 #4

Sinister '32

Sinister '32

Sinister '32

Thanks guys, I'll blast them a little harder!

5. Jul 1, 2011 #5

MonsterCED

MonsterCED

MonsterCED

Scott if you just using a plumbing torch try MAP gas much hotter, they sell those bottles with the plumbing stuff.

6. Jul 4, 2011 #6

InsanoRacer

InsanoRacer

InsanoRacer

plumbing torch is hotter but it will take to long to heat the rod end...by that time the whole shaft and everything will be hot yes but at that time you're better off trying it cold