Votes: 35 27.1%
  • New-School

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 62 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

starscream24

I'm sick and [email protected] tired people either calling people either "Stuck-in-the-Past Fanboys" or "Feld Fanboys" here. So you know what, let's settle this. Choose whether you like the old-school, the new-school, or don't really care at all. Personaly, I don't care I just enjoy monster trucks either way. Now will be going inside my bombshelter right now.

MasterofTame

I agree monster truck racing is still monster truck racing and freestyle is fun to watch. Things have changed for the better and the worse, it's just a fact of the sport evolving over the past three decades.

Christian Riedel

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I haven't seen any of that lately. IMO, new school is very impressive and entertaining as to what they can do, and if I had my choice I'd rather drive a new school "truck"...but they aren't trucks. Thats why I also like old school, because they are real trucks, built off something manufactured. Its like watching TGW videos, its more entertaining because they are real trucks. The crashes seem more spectacular too because they are real trucks, and not fiberglass bodies. They both have their high points in my opinion, and I enjoy both.

starscream24

I agree monster truck racing is still monster truck racing and freestyle is fun to watch. Things have changed for the better and the worse, it's just a fact of the sport evolving over the past three decades.
It's the same with anything in the media. People will naturally complain and you can't control that. Nothing is perfect.

MasterofTame

It's the same with anything in the media. People will naturally complain and you can't control that. Nothing is perfect.
Oh that's human nature. I don't see why there is enough to complain about with monster trucks when there are more important things to complain about in the world.

Furious Rodimus

I voted old-school, b/c that's where the memories are, but when it comes to track design I really liked what I saw out of the MLMT a couple of years back. Doesn't stop me from enjoying some of the new stuff, or going to the shows, but if this is asking preference it's old-school, but USA Motorsports stuff was awesome in the late 90s there.

ed3165

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I haven't seen any of that lately. IMO, new school is very impressive and entertaining as to what they can do, and if I had my choice I'd rather drive a new school "truck"...but they aren't trucks. Thats why I also like old school, because they are real trucks, built off something manufactured. Its like watching TGW videos, its more entertaining because they are real trucks. The crashes seem more spectacular too because they are real trucks, and not fiberglass bodies. They both have their high points in my opinion, and I enjoy both.

I must be under same rock as you I havent seen any of this happing here.

I dont really care i love everything monster trucks no matter how it is.

RnW 13

All of it is good to me, so I guess it falls under "Don't Care". However, there are things now that I would have loved to see happen in the past, and there are things in the past that I'd love to see happen now.

There are tracks and show formats from back then that would be really neat to see tried again now.

I think Jim said it best, old school mentality with a new school technology.

Jus Show N Off

I still stand by what I said in the other thread. I think if we had 2 separate series, by Feld, one for racing and 1 for freestyle that it would totally step up the game for both sides of the sport. On one hand you would get some crazy and radical freestyle set ups that would push what we can even imagine a truck doing (think forward motion backflip for sure) - and then on the other side you'd get purpose built, wicked racing trucks that would be too unique/expensive/fast to destroy on a montly basis.

Not to mention that you would also get your wild racing tracks, and wild freestyle tracks - because there would be no squeezing both into a venue. Would it all work? Who knows... probably not. That's why I say Feld would have to push it since they are "top dog" so to speak.

I don't care for the argument. Old school was cool, new school is fun. To me it is kind of like the difference of putting my car in a car show, or to actually be out racing my car. (legally of course, drag or autocross) Because of the differences there is no comparison.

Last edited:

RnW 13

I think if we had 2 separate series, by Feld, one for racing and 1 for freestyle that it would totally step up the game for both sides of the sport.
You never know what they could be up to. There could be alternative intentions to the new Monster Jam Freestyle Mania shows. Could be test to the general public as well as dedicated fan-base to see if the show can be a big enough draw to split into racing-only and FS-only shows.

And if that was indeed the case in the long run, we could see larger truck turnouts at the world finals, if indeed that was another alternative intention. The people who fought hard for the racing title duke it out there, and the heavy hitters in FS can duke it out there. Also allows those people who are better at one or the other to earn there spot.
-------
Personal preferance to me for promotors to try is the USA Motorsports and MOD formats, have the 2 racing set ups, and then FS, with thrill acts competitions in there as well. You get a long show, you provide more action.

The way you can look at that is, you root for that one truck, he gets taken out in the first round of the first racing format, now hes got a second shot to redeem himself in the second format. AND, a 3 if he makes it to freestyle. Same goes for that guy you just saw win, you want to see if he can make a clean sweep of the event or be taken down in the next format. It adds a level of excitement thats often overlooked.

I undestand that cost and time restraints can factor into why shows are not done like this or in similar ways. However, sometimes its worth that risk to give it atleast one or two tries.

monstermaniac

Personal preferance to me for promotors to try is the USA Motorsports and MOD formats, have the 2 racing set ups, and then FS, with thrill acts competitions in there as well. You get a long show, you provide more action.
I was just about to mention that. I love that idea!

MasterofTame

You never know what they could be up to. There could be alternative intentions to the new Monster Jam Freestyle Mania shows. Could be test to the general public as well as dedicated fan-base to see if the show can be a big enough draw to split into racing-only and FS-only shows.

And if that was indeed the case in the long run, we could see larger truck turnouts at the world finals, if indeed that was another alternative intention. The people who fought hard for the racing title duke it out there, and the heavy hitters in FS can duke it out there. Also allows those people who are better at one or the other to earn there spot.
-------

The way you can look at that is, you root for that one truck, he gets taken out in the first round of the first racing format, now hes got a second shot to redeem himself in the second format. AND, a 3 if he makes it to freestyle. Same goes for that guy you just saw win, you want to see if he can make a clean sweep of the event or be taken down in the next format. It adds a level of excitement thats often overlooked.

I undestand that cost and time restraints can factor into why shows are not done like this or in similar ways. However, sometimes its worth that risk to give it atleast one or two tries.
I like the two racing set ups but the here's the problem I have, the lenght of shows. You show up for all of the Pit Party, that's about two/three hours, you then add an hour to two between the Pit Party and the show and then an already two/three, maybe even four hour show with just one racing set up, freestyle and the filler stunts, FMX, autocross, utv races, trophy cars, legend cars and quad wars. I love lots of racing but 8 hours at a regular show? The finals are different but for a typical stadium show it sounds a little too much to me.

What I would like to see is possibly FreestyleMania as it's own tour for smaller venues, Thunder Nationals again in smaller venues and the full-scale Monster Jams as in the larger stadiums and domes. I think that would give the best to all of the fans as not all fans want to see Freestyle, some want to see it and others like both racing and freestyle.

RnW 13

The simplest solution to the pit party time is cut the length of it down, if not eliminate it all together. There is already and after show autograph session to meet the drivers. Only big difference with a pit party really is you get to see the vehicles up close.

Either way, for the price of the show, don't you want to sit in the stands and or enjoy a nice 3 to 4 hour show? You just paid 20$ a pop for your tickets, wouldn't you feel you got your moneys worth it it was that long?

For a few years now, I have been working on the ideas to get a show to work with 4 different motorsports running simultaniously between eachother with very little down time between each, that can be done within 3 hours. If given the chance I could make it reality, but until then oh well.

Last edited:

stormrider_67

I voted new school.
Cutting the pit parties might be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen mentioned on this board. Not all of us have the access to trucks like most on this board, I don't know if I would even attend an event if the pit parties were cut. Flame me all you want for that comment.
Would I like to see a real racing series? Yes.
Would I like to see freestyle? Yes.
Do I like the way Feld runs things? Yes.
Everyone has to grow up someday, you cannot stop that. While I cannot explain the respect I have for the old schoolers who started this sport, I cannot think of a more exciting time to watch monster trucks. I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for this sport.

Last edited:

MasterofTame

The simplest solution to the pit party time is cut the length of it down, if not eliminate it all together. There is already and after show autograph session to meet the drivers. Only big difference with a pit party really is you get to see the vehicles up close.

Either way, for the price of the show, don't you want to sit in the stands and or enjoy a nice 3 to 4 hour show? You just paid 20$ a pop for your tickets, wouldn't you feel you got your moneys worth it it was that long?

For a few years now, I have been working on the ideas to get a show to work with 4 different motorsports running simultaniously between eachother with very little down time between each, that can be done within 3 hours. If given the chance I could make it reality, but until then oh well.
Pit Parties are good in the idea that you can see how big the trucks really are. I mean how often do you find truck displays anymore? It's pretty rare at least in Arizona. If this is in an area where you have truck displays regularly then yes I see your point of it. Personally they are a waste because if you get in line for say a Meents or an Anderson, that's the entire party. I like it more for the fact you see the track and get a gage for how big the cars are BEFORE the are crushed.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea in theory but logistically perhaps is the bad thing. Lemme go at this in a different route than fan boys who say that they can watch the shows for hours, take families for instant. You're meaning to tell me two sets of 4/5 rounds of racing(including two-sets of qualifying), typical filler acts which I say are about three different acts for argument sake, staging the trucks and the acts, an intermission and then on average 8-10 trucks freestyling(barring breakage from any one of the possible 10 rounds of racing.) The will keep a family entertained and not bored if the kids are 4/5 years old going to the event?

When I went to my first arena show, I only saw the monster trucks and one round of mud bogs because at that point I had severe cases of asthma but even if I didn't I'm sure I would have been like "Mommy, I need a break." Granted you get the intermission(s) and fillers but the next time you goto a truck show see how many people run around during the acts. Sure you get some people here and there depending on the acts but that's a break of 5 minutes or so.

I am all for the more bang for your buck theory which is why if I get a stunt act, I'm all for it and the more filler acts, the better. However when you add on and add on more trucks and more activities, it can bog down the show and not make it as good of an idea as you think it.

north star

heres the sad honest truth, today's AVERAGE fan (not a fan from this website) honestly could care less what happened back in the mid 90s they care about whos a world champion and thats bout it, we as a community can relate and have conversations about events of teh past, but if we try to do that with other "average" fans they wouldnt have a clue of what we are talking about, think about it this way, we all know taurus here right? well go to a monster jam or lets say cfp show and ask 10 random fans a question about it and see how many know about it, the future of monster trucks is bright and its boundaries are endless, but the past is quickly being forgotten and there is very little we can do about it

RnW 13

You do not do a second set of qualifying, you go by win-to-loss, or reverse the qualifying brackets. OR, you do it where you only have the trucks that lost in each round make up the second set of racing. There are a few ways to do it, I am still working on it.

I do beleive most kids would sit through 4 hours of a show either way, most would do the same at a NASCAR event, of circle track races, and or any other motorsports event that takes an excessive amount of time. Most kids are entertained at the fact they get to be at the event.

If they aren't, well, I don't really know what to say to that.

Laddy

I have different feelings for both the "old school" and "new school trucks.

I enjoy watching the older videos on youtube, because I really like the fact that it's an actual truck being run. On the other hand, I really enjoy the way trucks have gone. The technology, the numbers, the horse power, it's all very impressive.

Now if you were to put an older video and a new one in front of me, and ask which I would like to watch, I would always choose the older.

I the end, though, I watch and enjoy both the new and old school.