Lima Jambo

Golden

Any word on how the shows are going in Lima this weekend? I know that the second show may not be over at this time but I have found almost nothing.

Wes3120

Here's the post from MonsterBlog on facebook: Hall Brothers Racing is dominating in Lima this weekend as the RAMs have won all three racing events. Mat Dishman in Rammunition took his third straight win Friday night in Lima, defeating teammate Mark Hall and Raminator in the finals. Just when it looked like Dishman was going to run away with the title chase, Hall stepped up and won both of today's racing events. Dishman 3, Hall 2. One more race tomorrow afternoon!

lolTimmy

[video=youtube;zGM6prpEtXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM6prpEtXw&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube_share;_GV8qk5JGIg]http://youtu.be/_GV8qk5JGIg[/video]

Haven't seen enough footage to actually confirm it, but it seems that the inner lane has a very large advantage with momentum. That and the Rams are ridiculously powerful. Dunno why both ends weren't symmetrical with just varying turns. Weird.

monstermaniac

I agree, odd that they aren't symmetrical but with a tweak or two I think that track could be really fun to watch. Especially because the trucks are finishing side by side going in the same direction.

jetmonkeyj

You can't tell me that good, fast penda style straightline racing isn't more exciting than a course where the trucks finish 4-5 lengths ahead of the guy in the bad lane.

Seriously FE, start getting your act together with these Jambo's already...

raddi8989

I love that they're using turning courses now, since IMO straight-line racing hasn't been of any value since nitrogen shocks became the standard, but that track is a mess. Overly complicated, and the lanes look pretty uneven. Why not do a simple J-hook?

monstermaniac

With a little fix on that track it could be good. Thats actually a nice Monster Jam type race track because there would be room for al their freestyle obstacles. I do agree though that straight line racing is the way to go at the Jamborees. Thats the way it always was and thats what made them so great. I'll have to disagree about straight line tracks being a non factor. Look at West Lebanon... by far IMO that is the best show all year by any promoter. When tracks are done right like that one, straight line racing is great.

Golden

Went to today's show thought it was pretty good. I had my doubts about the track after watching those videos but it actually led to some really close races. Hall won over Runte with a sweet save. My only real problem was with the freestyle. I don't understand having a place that big and making obstacles that can only be hit one way. The van towards the crowd only had a car on one side and everyone that hit the larger stack only did so away from the grandstands. Also there just didn't seem like there was a lot to hit. I have video up of all the racing and freestyles over the next few days.

lolTimmy

[video=youtube;dtgtUGoI8B0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtgtUGoI8B0[/video]

I assume that was today's final.

Really awesome final, and again, Mark Hall showcases how he is the master of coming from behind, even in the worse lane. If only the track had been symmetrical, I think most races would have been closer.

PMOnroe86

The lane wins were pretty even all weekend long . It didnt matter what lane the Rams were in ,they werent going to be denied the win. The Rams have been unstoppable....no matter what FE has thrown at them so far at Springfield,Mo. or Lima,Ohio. You all may not like the tracks but the drivers are really having fun and are excited to see what we have for them in Bloomsburg,Pa.

indyh2

Kinda an interesting track. Got a little hard to follow though with it taking place in a dust bowl.

Golden

Kinda an interesting track. Got a little hard to follow though with it taking place in a dust bowl.
Yeah it was really dusty. The crew watered down the track multiple times before the monsters but it was so hot that you wouldn't even know it.

Dominator92

exactly why i didnt go :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj6Dw9Hlf70

one jump for freestyle?? common family events..better step it up..or i wont be attending another jambo..i had no interest in going this year, and this video makes me not even wanna go next year..midwest monster trucks put on a way better show in monroe at a little county fair..half the size of lima

monstermaniac

I'd be lying if I told you that wasn't fall asleep boring. I think you can fix the race track, but the freestyle... thats bad, sorry. Not the drivers fault either. What did you want him or her (not sure who that is) to do?

Dominator92

i wasnt knocking the driver, as i could see he had nothing to do out there..it was a knock on family events..that freestyle track was a waste of time..they didnt even have the big kicker like they usually do..i really miss the way it was 4 5 yrs ago..

Tad

To each there own. I had rather see the racing. I would love a show that had a course something like what they ran there and straight line drags. Skip the freestyle and do more racing.

CMDeerfoot

I love the new unique race courses that FE is coming up with,but that freestyle setup is really quite pathetic;I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it's honestly how I feel. They could have put some lines of cars or some small van stacks out there in different spots to give the drivers more to hit;I mean,it's not like they're in a cramped hockey/basketball arena and I've seen more and better obstacles in said arenas. There was more than enough room for them to put more obstacles out there. In this modern day of MT events,freestyle is just as big a part of the show as racing is and that's not going to change anytime soon. They really do need to start putting a little more importance on setting up a good freestyle track because the majority of fans(myself included)want to see great racing and freestyle courses;that,and the drivers deserve a better freestyle course than what was given to them in Lima.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
I've never seen a racing course exactly like that and I think it was a great first effort. A little St. Louis style mixed with S-course. Not many places have the necessary space to run a track like that so it may be hard for Special Events to replicate and improve it in short time. Bloomsburg, maybe? Anyway, I liked it and throwing some cars into the mix would be a good touch.

OldSchoolDude

I just watched all the Lima videos posted on Youtube. I've been anxiously awaiting some decent outdoor racing, and I have to say I was a little disappointed. I applaud Family Events for trying to come up with an interesting track, and something that stretches out the racing time, but the track was just too disjointed. I think people need to see the competitors fighting it out side by side more. I'm not saying every track needs to be a drag race, but a U-turn or J-hook combined with some good ol' drag race style tracks are needed. With these looping tracks, it's hard to tell who's ahead until the very last stretch, and then you find one the trucks has a substantial advantage, and the rest of the race is pretty predictable. I personally would like to see a long drag race track, with jumps that test the trucks suspension. With the nitrogen shocks, there should be NO roller moguls. The jumps should be back excavated so that the trucks can't just "roll" them, and force the drivers into developing a throttle and shifting rythm that proves to be the fastest way down the track. It's possible to design a drag track where it's not just brute horsepower.

That being said, I think Family Events also needs to look at the caliber of competition they bring in for these events. Aside from the Bigfoot and Ram team, almost all the other races were extremely lop sided. I don't know which day it was, but I did enjoy the final between Mark Hall and Dan Runte. Hall must have put his foot and throttle pedal all the way through the floor board, and drove around Runte in a huge top end charge, that nearly had him losing control of the truck on the landing. It was hard to see from all the dust, but it looked like he was done for sure. How he drove out of that is a mystery. That was by far the most exciting race I saw. I didn't see any other competitors attack the track run after run like Hall and Dishman. They drove it aggressive every run, and their win margins proved it on most of heats.

I did't even watch the freestyle videos, as I don't care much for it that much in the first place. From some of the other posts here, it sounds like I didn't miss anything. After a while, freestyle is just all the same thing. To keep the masses entertained, the drivers have to keep pushing the equipment and bounds of safety farther and farther. I don't care to watch guys come out and purposely tear up their equipment. There's only a handful of independents out there that can abuse and maintain their trucks the way Feld does. It just creates expectations that only a select few have any chance of fulfilling. Oh well, that's a rant for another day.