New Canadian fella here

Discussion in 'Community Lounge' started by chryco63, Apr 20, 2010.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

Tags:
  1. Apr 20, 2010 #1

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

Hi All,

I'm glad to have found this board, and those who share a passion for the old school trucks of the 80s and early 90s! My first exposure to MTs was the MotoRock video that my dad brought home from the video store a long, long time ago. I was instantly hooked.

I have spent much time browsing the Old School forum, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the restoration of the Va. Beach Beast, and the resuscitation of Southern Sunshine and Cajun King!

I have been involved with drag racing for a large part of my life. Taking a cue from many nostalgia racers and the many nostalgia events focused on early drag racing, I have often thought that it would be cool to promote a Nostalgia Monster Truck event, with as many old school trucks in attendance as possible. The trucks could be on display, perhaps coupled with some exhibition crushing, or even with a primitive side-by-side track for racing (think early Pontiac shows).

Perhaps this idea has been thrown around here already? What do you all think?

BTW, as I've seen several Ontarians here, I grew up in a small town in Niagara just south of St. Catharines, went to school in Waterloo, and am now living and working in Montreal. I have lots of pictures and stuff to scan and upload, but, for the moment, they are all at my parent's place in Niagara.

Favourite trucks: the first 3 Bigfoots, Excaliber, Michigan Ice Monster.

Thanks, and looking forward to spending a lot of time here!

Glen Robins

2. Apr 21, 2010 #2

Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus

Welcome to the Board! Nice to see some more Canadians on here!

3. Apr 21, 2010 #3

theace27

theace27

theace27

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Glen, welcome aboard! Nice to see more Canadians on there and old skool fans no less.

4. Apr 21, 2010 #4

DiggerFan

DiggerFan

DiggerFan

Welcome to the board! Once again, it's great to see another Canadian on here! From the sounds of it, you and I got hooked on MTs in a similar way (it was my dad renting me "Blood, Sweat & Gears" from a local video store, that got me into monster trucks at a young age).

5. Apr 21, 2010 #5

jetmonkeyj

jetmonkeyj

jetmonkeyj

Welcome from a B.C boy!

:canada:

6. Apr 21, 2010 #6

JonC5

JonC5

JonC5

Welcome Eh! hehe...sorry had to do it

7. Apr 21, 2010 #7

CanadianJohn

CanadianJohn

CanadianJohn

Welcome fellow Canadian

8. Apr 22, 2010 #8

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

9. Apr 23, 2010 #9

Iwantamonstertruck

Iwantamonstertruck

Iwantamonstertruck

Hey what's up??

10. Apr 23, 2010 #10

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

Nice to see another Canuck here, welcome!
    I'm from the Niagara region, spend most of my time in Welland and the Falls.

11. Apr 26, 2010 #11

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

Mike, cool to see another fellow Niagarian (is there such a word?)! I grew up in Fenwick/Fonthill. First monster truck show I ever went to was in Welland, at a small arena at the Southeast end of the city, on King street, across from the hospital, and beside the curling club. I was maybe 4 or 5 years old, and I remember very, very little of it. Forget what trucks were there. It's something I'd like to research a bit more, as it was a very small show, and well before the end of the 80s, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, my dad remembers nothing of it.

12. Apr 28, 2010 #12

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

A monster truck show at the Ice Palace??? haha I do not remember that.

I remember they used to have them yearly at the Niagara Regional Exhibition a/k/a the Welland fair. I can remember White Lightning, Canadian Ram Tracks tank, Instigator (not Easlers truck), then they stopped bringing them. I saw more recently TowMater and Dominator were there one year. None were there last year, maybe this year?

13. Apr 28, 2010 #13

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

Mike, I remember the Welland Fair shows very well! I think they were there, coupled with the **** Drivers exhibition, or Joie Chitwood, or whoever it was. I have an autographed 8x10 of the Instigator truck. Good memories, indeed!

Do you remember when Merrittville Speedway was going to have a big race somewhere around the early-to-mid '90s? They had advertised Bigfoot, USA-1, perhaps even Carolina Crusher -- I think it was to be along the same vein as a TNT event race. However, at the last minute, the plug was pulled, and the show never re-materialized. I don't remember how old I was, but I was devastated. I had been looking forward that show for months.

I also remember Buffalo Tremor doing an exhibition at Merrittville one night after their regular program. Good memories, indeed!

14. Apr 28, 2010 #14

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

Oh, I also thnk that perhaps Jerry Richmond's Weapon 1 was at the Welland Fair for at least one year, too. Do you remember that at all?

15. Apr 29, 2010 #15

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

hhhmmmmm don't remember Weapon 1 being there... neither do I remember that show at Merritville with BF and USA1.
    It would be a decent place for a show, the grass is already torn to shreds. Lots of room for freestyle and straight line racing. Too bad the bleachers are so small, Monsters on Mainstreat would be great there!
    I do however remember Buffalo Tremor. Didn't dawn on me until you said that. I had an autographed White Lighting 8x10 but no idea where it is sadly.
    The **** Drivers are always there. One of them owned the Canadian Ram Tracks tank, the one who was from Nova Scotia.

16. Apr 29, 2010 #16

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

I'm pretty confident about Weapon 1 having been at the NRE for at least one appearance. I wish there was some way to find out for sure. As for the Merrittville show, I'm pretty sure I've got a newspaper advertisement in a scrapbook at my parent's place in Fenwick for that show. I'll have to dig it out next time I'm down there.

I agree, I'm pretty sure they could do well with a monster show at Merrittville. Even a good-sized show would do well at the NRE fairgrounds.

Speaking of local shows, I was also at the Niagara Falls, NY show where Bad Medicine killed the elderly man. I don't remember which trucks were there. After that incident, my sister won me tickets on a Buffalo radio show to another show they put on there, maybe about 7 or 8 years later. I have pics from that show that I'll have to dig up, again at my parent's place.

Have you been to many of the Skydome/Rogers Centre shows? I remember one from several years ago where the track was a J-course or something like that, and Bigfoot and Carolina Crusher rolled simultaneously in the turns.

It's been good reminiscing about all of these shows with you, Mike!

17. Apr 29, 2010 #17

DiggerFan

DiggerFan

DiggerFan

I'm pretty sure the show you're referring to was the 1992 USA Motorsports event at the Skydome. The show had Bigfoot (Jim Greco), Carolina Crusher (Gary Porter), Grave Digger #5 (Ricky Akers?), No Problem (John Moore?), Snake Bite (Gene Patterson), and Weapon 1 (Jerry Richmond?).

That Nova Scotia **** Drivers group also owned the truck that was formerly Mike Beeler's "Wrecker," which they later converted to "One Armed Bandit." I've seen two of their shows, once in Varney, Ontario, in 1995, and again in Hanover, Ontario in 2000.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  18. Apr 29, 2010 #18

chryco63

chryco63

chryco63

That was 1992?! Incredible! That really seems forever ago!

Does anybody have or know of footage from that event?

19. Apr 30, 2010 #19

DiggerFan

DiggerFan

DiggerFan

Quite a few races from the event were shown on USA Motorsports' "Monster Truck Bloopers 2" tape. USA Motorsports also used some clips from the event again on their "Biggest & Baddest Monster Trucks" video. Bigfoot has also used some of their footage of the Bigfoot vs. Carolina Crusher double-roll on their 25th Anniversary DVD, and the "Bigfoot: The Ultimate Monster Truck Collection" DVD.

I don't think the event was ever shown in full on television, though.

20. Apr 30, 2010 #20

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

stormrider_67

I got both of those videos... now if only I had a VHS player hahaha! That double roll over is frequent on youtube, so are many of the bloopers.

I go as many shows as I can around here. There always is a big thread on here for the Hamilton and Toronto shows. Search for them and check out the pics/vids. I got a photobucket account with some of my pics from them. (hxxp://s699.photobucket.com/home/stormrider_67)