New look for Bone Crusher.

Discussion in 'Monster Mayhem Discussion Forum' started by chopper, Nov 21, 2008.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Nov 22, 2008 #21

kreepy1

kreepy1

kreepy1

Hi all,
    When it came to cheyenne it had a roll cage in the back. I know this will tick the teck guys off something terrible but it was a removable cage. If you look close on thise pix you can see one of the places the tubes slide over. Shane you are right, it ran all noght w/o an problems. Its a little rough around the edges but still a cool rig.
    kreepy1

2. Nov 23, 2008 #22

JBrossack

JBrossack

JBrossack

Well, to be honest, I don't know of any ride truck that doesn't have a removable cage. The only trucks I know of that had a permanent roll cage were Bigfoots 2 and 3. But in the case of today's operators, most ride trucks are associated with a race truck. Most of these operators have closed trailers. Little hard to fit a ride truck in there with the roll cage still installed.

3. Nov 23, 2008 #23

KD58

KD58

KD58

The Raminator R/T has a rollcage that, while technically "removeable" is not easily removed and is a very integral part of the seating and bed assembly. The truck is built 100% to MTRA ride truck specs (exceeds it, in my opinion) and still fits in both the single drop Dorsey and double-drop Great Dane trailer the Halls have.

If I'm not mistaken, the Predator R/T cage is not removeable (or at least not easily so) and goes in their haulers in-tact.

Point in case: 90% of ride trucks do not have rollcages. Of the ride trucks that do have rollcages, my guess is that 90 to 95% of them would not be classified as a "rollcage" in my book and wouldn't hold up well at all in the event of a roll/flip.

Just one more way the monster truck industry tempts fate.

-kd

4. Nov 23, 2008 #24

JBrossack

JBrossack

JBrossack

This was transported within a closed trailer,correct? Not having the advantage of seeing the truck in person, my perception is the truck may have issues with the width of the cage. but i can't accurately judge the width of the cage in relation to the with of the axles. And just out of curiousity, is the truck bed stock or fiberglass? Also, how is the cage attached to the frame?

After reviewing pictures of the truck, you would be correct that the frame is permanent. But i do have a concern that the cross bar tying the three hoops together may be used by some to hang their arms from during the ride. Or in the case shown below, the hoop itself.

[​IMG]

Fully agreed and a sad fact indeed. But i think we must agree that most trucks are not designed to consider the possibility of a rollover, which is an absolute shame.

-kd

5. Nov 23, 2008 #25

[email protected]

Shane@TeamBeast

[email protected]

All this hoop la over ride truck roll cages is B.S. ALL of the "extra tubing" that is suppose to be "roll cage" in most cases a little more than swingset grade tubing and is there for looks , in most cases removable and held on with maybe 1/2" bolts drilled through the tubing. Yea it looks cool and like it should be "safe" there is no structual intergity there. Other than giving the passengers something to hold on to it really serves no purpose.

As far as supporting the truck cargo area in the event of a roll over, it would probably fold up like a lawn chair. The idea of a roll cage on a ride truck is a good one IF the cage is made out of 2" .125 DOM. & properly constructed. I have yet to see on that is so what's the use of even putting one on besides giving the illusion of the truck looking safer becuse it has some tubing around the cargo area.

Furthermore a ride truck is not suppose to be doing anything more than just driving around at maybe 10 mph NOT jumping over cars,ramps giving a nice casual ride and providing Kodac moments for the fans.

Another point is lets say you put a full cage 2" .125 DOM on the truck now to do it properly you should have a Butler or Kirkey or equal quality seat with a 5 point harness to safely secure the rider in the seat in the event of a roll over.... provide the riders with helmets...what about small children that ride on peoples laps ? or small children riding on there own ? like a airline before each ride go through the proper safety procedure of operating the 5 point harness and what to do in the event of a accident.

So tell me just because a ride truck has some tubing that looks like a roll bar around the cargo area really make it safer than a truck that has no tubing around the cargo area ? I don't think so.

I think the ride truck safety is a split between the operator and how the truck is built to handle the passengers. Let's face it we have all seen ride trucks doing things they should not be doing , and what is making the truck do it ? the driver !

My post here could be a whole other thread on ride truck safety & procedure, and is something that should be looked into and taken very seriously.

6. Nov 24, 2008 #26
    You are so right Shane. MTRA has ignored ride trucks for too long. There has been too much emphasis on race trucks!!! It should be equal, because weather it's a ride or a race truck. One bad accident by either one will hurt this industry in soo many ways.

7. Nov 24, 2008 #27

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

Shane or Tim (or Kyle for that matter), what separates the two cert R/Ts from others? If MTRA has ignored them, I would be curious to see how Savage and Raminator R/T fit in to that line of thinking. (You know, besides the obvious of the roll cage) Having seen Pezo's R/T, it looks very well maintained and looks extremely safe. But, I just don't know much about the R/Ts, so I am looking to be edu-muh-cated on them. Thanks guys!

8. Nov 24, 2008 #28

[email protected]

Shane@TeamBeast

[email protected]

Well the MTRA has not ignored ride trucks there is a section in the rule book for ride trucks.

To begin with I have seen very few MTRA certified ride trucks. I have seen some ride trucks that were a conglomeration of parts thrown together that I would be embarrassed to bring to a show and actually charge people for rides V.S. some that are top notch quality CLEAN run well trucks.

I have no idea where this roll cage for ride trucks came from. Question is ..... do they really need them ? and if so like I said earlier there needs to be more than just some tubing welded on the back. The cage needs to come off the main frame of the truck just like a regular race truck cage, proper seating etc... IF YOU ARE GOING TO MANDATE THAT LEVEL OF REQUIREMENT

But why is all this needed to reference the MTRA rule book on page 33 item 12B.... No donuts,no jumping,or other dangerous maneuvers allowed with passengers

13b....driver must operate vehicles in a safe manner at all times. The show,race director or promoter has the right to stop any driver not operating his or her vehicle in a safe manner.

And to back up a bit item 6b... ride trucks must not be operated over 25mph

So with all this why roll cages on ride trucks ? A ride truck is no more than a glorified parade vehicle & is not not "performing" doing stunts etc.... so why do they need a cage ?

Again like I said the truck safety is a split between the operator (driver) and the construction of the truck. How many ride truck owners are beating down MTRA's door to get there truck certified ?..... So they are just out there doing there own thing and don't give a crap about MTRA because in there mind it will only cost them money and they have been doing the ride truck deal for years without MTRA.

Lot's of issues there.....

9. Nov 24, 2008 #29

bigyoda

bigyoda

bigyoda

Would Seargent Smash be considered a "stunt ride truck"?

10. Nov 25, 2008 #30

Kouvre

Kouvre

Kouvre

I actually just became dumber reading that sentence.

You actually question the need for cages in ride trucks? Um, maybe because sometimes, the operator doesn't live up to his end of the bargain in operating safely and something needs to come into play to prevent 8-12 people from getting crushed to death because of a reckless ride truck driver.

11. Nov 25, 2008 #31

monstertruckfan

monstertruckfan

monstertruckfan

So lets get back on topic here.

What do you think of the new look? This thread wasn't started to talk about safety.

12. Nov 25, 2008 #32
    Pezo's trucks are top notch mt's ride or race, but that's not my point. MTRA has NOT updated the ride truck guidelines since they put them in the rulebook. The Hall Bros. R/T Cage is safety overkill and out of date and nobody really has a definte idea of the perfectly safe cage. I've seen so many RT's with different cages and without cages. The biggest point I hear from RT owners is that a cage will make it top heavy. So until MTRA steps up and actually updates and sets some solid guidelines about cages on RT's. I will continue to consider the issue ignored.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  13. Nov 25, 2008 #33

KD58

KD58

KD58

Out of date? Care to elaborate?

-kd

14. Nov 25, 2008 #34

[email protected]

Shane@TeamBeast

[email protected]

Kouvre: If a ride truck operator is not being safe or whatever the promoter should warn the said operator to tone it down or simply tell the said operator to pack up and leave..... the later of the two will not happen due to the fact the promoter usually gets a cut of the ride truck proceeds and the promoter is not going to take money out of his own pocket !

This thread was started about how the new wrap looked but has gone in a another direction monstertruckfan..... SO DEAL WITH IT ! WA WA WA ......

Ride truck safety is a very important issue and needs due attention !

15. Nov 26, 2008 #35

uLtRaMaX

uLtRaMaX

uLtRaMaX

Contradicting Democracy

This, from an MTRA member....

But they should be more than "guidelines" they should be "Mandated", cut and dry, either it's this way, or no way!.

I think the industry as a WHOLE should have 1 (ONE) set of R/T rules that can be drafted, agreed apon, and submitted to the insurance companys. That way it would be showing people, look, were serious about what we do, and here's what we need to be safe. FUBU comes to mind.....

I like some of the ideas that Shane has.

Maybe one of the big things on keeping these R/T's safe, that maybe has been overlooked, is having a vertical CG rule? Much like a forklift, telahandler (ect),if you go over the lifting limits of what a machine is capable of, it will tip, and fail. If these limits were well documented on what is safe, and what is not, at what Vertial CG height, and speed, Ect. Could rollover situations be greatly reduced. I know that's only one piece of the puzzle in the grand scheme of R/T's but a piece none the less.

16. Nov 26, 2008 #36

myspace_monsters

myspace_monsters

myspace_monsters

This is the mayhem board, when do threads stay on topic?

17. Nov 26, 2008 #37

bigred

bigred

bigred

In all reality I believe that there are good guide line here but no one is checking them for those who dont no me im ian i work as a concession man at county fairs and festvials in the state of ohio and i beleive that a monster ride truck would fall under a portable ride(as in amusement ride) that must be need to reg. in the this state with the ag board and have a yearly inspection

18. Nov 26, 2008 #38
    You sound upset Kyle? The Out of date comment was not mine and I WILL NOT rat out the person that said it, but you'd be suprised if you knew.:eek:

19. Nov 26, 2008 #39

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Brandon Clark

Benchracer Extraordinaire

By now Tim, you should know that in monster trucks EVERYONE kisses and tells.

20. Nov 26, 2008 #40

KD58

KD58

KD58

If you mean the suspension, yes, it is way out of date in my opinion. I've got more than enough miles in that thing to vouch for that. But as far as the cage goes, I don't see any reason why someone would say it is out of date. Mark welded it up in '03 (about the same time you were begging Tim for a job driving it) and its never been laid over, so I see no reason why its not sufficient.

I'm not upset at all, sorry to bust your bubble. Why would I get upset about a truck that I haven't driven in over a year and that I'm happy to not be driving now? *twirls fingers* Its hard to make someone mad about something they don't really care about anymore. I was just curious to see you back up what you said...which thus far, you haven't. So....

Out of date? Care to elaborate?

Thanks.

-kd

1 person likes this.