Truck Related Official Old School Pic Thread

GravelramaDude

Jason,

I am in a similar position with you when it comes to information about this truck. I currently own that truck, which is sitting about 200 feet away from me- as I type this. The body has long since been disposed of, but the rolling chassis remains intact.

That truck has a rather unusual past- except for one thing, which I was able to learn from Fred Shafer- at one time it was a Bear Foot.

It wore Bear Foot blue for a period of time- until Fred sold off some of his Chevrolet fleet- and it was sold to a gentleman in Minnesota. That owner, repainted it and called it the Granite City Crusher, and invested a lot of money into it-until it was sold to an owner in Salt Lake City, Utah. The new owner in Salt Lake City- operated the truck as a show piece with the occasional use in crushing cars at dealerships. After going idle, the owner started to express interest in parting it out- and it ended up being sold to Terry Woodcock.

Terry used the truck as a bargaining tool. The truck has a soft leaf, 4 Link suspension with Coil-Overs and had a powerful BBC Injected motor- and simply parted out the goods, until a call from California came. Steve Quercio, was looking for another monster truck, wanting to expand his reach in markets and capabilities. Terry sold the rolling chassis and another Ford truck chassis to Steve where they sat in California for about six months. For some reason, Steve then sold the trucks, back to Terry- (in fact checking this, with both men- it actually happened, but can't say why.)

Terry at this time was storing these trucks in Simi Valley, California- when he needed some Firestone tires for his racing trucks- and traded the trucks (Granite City Crusher and Krimson Krusher) to a tire dealer in Central California. Tires for the trucks.

The trucks both stood there- rotting away for a time, until June 1998. It was en route to the Oakland loading docks, with 4 Monster Trucks and 8 Mud Racers in preparation for the upcoming show to Hawaii- when my father saw the trucks sitting on the side of the road, in the tire dealers lot. (He told me on CB, "we're stopping there on the way back home..")

So a day later- after loading our trucks into containers for the 1998 Hawaii show, we stopped back by there to take a look and see what they were doing there.

Later that month, my father struck a deal and bought the Granite City Crusher- for $1500. The truck was loaded and brought back to Bakersfield- where it underwent a rebuild of it's own; as the companies first ride truck. It was our plan to go back and buy the second one, but the tire dealer, Gary Nieukoop- increased his asking price and we, no longer were interested.

The truck has worn several different identities- and even made a trip to South America once- for a private party. It's currently in it's final re-build, where it will end up being finished in the image of a former West Coast 80's truck.

As for who owned it before Fred, and directly after- it's unknown. I was able to have a conversation with Fred, while in Florida on business- and he was a big help. What he could remember, it was a friend of Jack's (Willman) who he thinks built the truck, and fell on hard times. (He can't be 100% sure.) It is cool though- that in a very little way, there's a Bear Foot in my shop.

The unusual part of this- is that very few pictures of this truck in competition really exist. For a period of time, this truck was running in the midwest, but rarely photographed.

Dude! You give this long, detailed explanation that really says nothing except "the truck has worn several identities - even made a trip to South America once." Come on man, if you are going to sound all knowledgeable, at least give us some real knowledge on the past... I can't say I've ever read an equivalent of your post with all build up of expectation, but actually learning nothing... Very disappointing. I am currently reading through all of these old posts and can only hope someone else called you on this closer to the time of post or someone actually had real information for a post. I will find out soon enough, but my hopes are not high.

MadMan4x4x4

About the thunder chicken restoration Kid And Tom dont think it will be done for another year. They have done work but its slow since they have had a lot of business lateley and still have damage from the floods of last year which damaged toms shop bad so they had to do a good amount of work to that as well.

Cactusjack1999

Gravel.... do us all a favor and just stop. You're not indearing yourself to any one else here by how you're posting and how you're acting. Stop, think about what kind of image you're portraying to us here at large, and then come back when you realize that you're not helping anyones cause by acting how you are right now.

GravelramaDude

Gravel.... do us all a favor and just stop. You're not indearing yourself to any one else here by how you're posting and how you're acting. Stop, think about what kind of image you're portraying to us here at large, and then come back when you realize that you're not helping anyones cause by acting how you are right now.
Will do. Didn't realize I needed to be a part if the "monster kliq" to be allowed an opinion. Your welcome for all the pics I put up here you ungrateful haters. Peace

Cactusjack1999

Will do. Didn't realize I needed to be a part if the "monster kliq" to be allowed an opinion. Your welcome for all the pics I put up here you ungrateful haters. Peace
Now hold on a second there. I never said that. Look at your last postings on this board. 8 postings replying to the BEGINNING of this thread without quotes leaving us to wonder who the heck you were talking to because of the lack of context. Then you reply to someone who traced the history of a truck and complained about it because there was "no real information" and that it was a disappointment and that you hoped one of us complained about the lack of information as well.

I was asking you to take a look at how you were coming off to the rest of us as a person and a member of this community. That was all. I wasn't telling you that your opinion didn't matter nor did I say to stop posting because you weren't part of some imaginary clique.

And you have the NERVE to call us haters when we ask you to stop acting like such self entitled little jerk!?

I have one thing to say.

Door's to your left, don't let it hit you on the way out.

Doright

WOW! What a Blast from the Past !!!!
I remember taking off those Dually tires and rims and putting those real wide tires together for the first time after he & his brother built the new rims for those big wide tires.

That Truck was Bad with Blown BB chev I remember Measuring the truck after putting those wide tires on it 11.5"

Any one know were Tim is these days? Heard he was Living in Wasilla?

Dam Good times back then

As I remember those tires and rims went on a Crew Cab that was even Bigger than the Orange rat!
Good times good people good memories

Last edited:

Rampage82

Hey everybody I'm new to this site, and what led me here was the restoration and tribute video of Thunder Chicken I saw on Youtube. When I was 8 years old I saw my first monster truck show in Albuquerque, and my older brother bought me a four wheel drive magazine right after that that had almost every monster truck along with a small section of all of their specs. I always liked the look of TC and until the other day I never realized that it was powered by Mopar, which made me even more excited. I saw in some of it's last racing pics, that it appeared to have not been Mopar powered at the last. Is there any way it will be put back to "original"? If so I know there is a lot of interest in the Mopar community that would probably be willing to help out with the power plant. I'm a mud racer from NM, and my truck is a D50 running a 440... It's a lot of fun being different... LOL

Paul4x4

Can't believe I went through every single page on this thread, and found only about five pics of Grave Digger 2! I thought it was a popular truck back in the day, but no, it seems like people rather saved their precious camera film to shoot Bigfoot and such! LOL:D

Paul4x4

Its hard to get a picture of a truck that only makes one pass and then breaks....
That should make it just easier when the wreckage isn't moving anymore! LOL :D

I was just looking for some close-up pics that would show some detail on the truck, so I could start piecing together the chassis for my RC replica of it...:)