Truck Related Official Old School Pic Thread

Backchannel

These are from the crash involving Pablo Huffaker that evening during the qualifying session. He was the first truck out and was done for the night in about 2 seconds. It was a pretty violent crash. Since I've no pictures of the truck actually flipping here is what happened. (ABSOLUETLY NO ONE WAS INJURED) Also if you look closely at the first pic of the truck in the air, you can see guest track announcer Pam Vaters standing next to Joe Lowe.
The track at Hagerstown was usually set up with a roller on the starting line, then about a 30 to 50 foot gap then a two car jump. This is followed by about a 100 foot gap to a final five car jump. (If my feet are off I apologize. I'm doing this from memory.)
So... The light went green and Pablo matted it, absolutely launching off the roller on the start causing the left rear to hike up. Pablo corrected the steering and hit the second jump, but instead of straightening out the truck went to the right causing the rear end to come around to the left as he approached the final set of cars. I do not know if Pablo hammered it or the throttle hung, but the truck was absolutely rocketed over the final jump. Upon landing the left front tucked under and the tire ripped off like butter. As the truck cartwheeled over the tire was launched into the power pole in front of the main grandstands knocking the light stand backward toward the crowd (NO ONE HURT). The truck somehow landed facing down track minus one tire and no body panels, one upside down hanging light standard, and a very relieved finish line end crowd and track crew.

digger crash 1.JPGdigger crash 2.JPGdigger crash 3.JPGdigger crash 4.JPGdigger crash 5.JPG

Quick fact... Pam and Joe referred to Wild Thang as the peanut with teeth most of the night.

Last edited:

DiggerFan

I was going to ask after seeing your first post, if you were at the Hagerstown event when Pablo wrecked the truck. Here's a quote from the article on Truckworld.com about the accident:

There have been lots of rumors, questions and speculation buzzing around the pits and in our e-mail concerning two recent accidents involving Pablo Huffaker and Grave Digger. On July 16 there was a roll over accident at the Hagerstown Speedway in Hagerstown, Maryland. As the result of a violent flip flying debris including parts of the fiberglass Grave Digger body landed in the stands among the crowd. No one was seriously injured and all minor injuries were treated and released that same evening. Sources say that most injuries were a result of the fans scrambling to get a piece of the famous Grave Digger body.
http://web.archive.org/web/20040603113813/http://www.truckworld.com/Monster-Trucks/Monsters-Monthly/99-sep/news.html

Backchannel

Yeah, I couldn't find the floppy disk with the wreck until I'd already started posting. Which is a very old fashioned sentence. Used a floppy disk camera to take those pics. I miss the 90s.

Michael DesRoches

Oh my goodness....... Thank you so much for those photos from Hagerstown! The Saturday evening show was my first ever monster truck show I ever went to. Those photos are the holy grail for me. Thank you so much for bringing back my childhood memories!

crazyman444

Well since hagerstown photos got posted, my father found this in the paper when he went to work, snipped it out and brought it home for me.

Beau4x4

85688143592113315167912.jpg
85859843592133981832515.jpg
84393443592335315145770.jpg
85612143592127315166593.jpg

The man has a treasure trove of old school pictures. Most of them are from mud racing but I try to share the ones he has with old school monsters in them.

Sinister '32

Any idea how long the KK build took? Some of the HOF footage shown at the ceremony has DW in an arena show in early 1986. Just curious as to when KK debuted.
Colby, that is a good question. I don't remember seeing KK prior to '87 so my guess is it debuted sometime, perhaps early, that year (First Quarter?). Though it could have been late in '86. Steve has pictures of KK at the Silverdome, mud bogging against USA-1. Perhaps he can remind us of when that show was.

modeltruckshop

Colby, that is a good question. I don't remember seeing KK prior to '87 so my guess is it debuted sometime, perhaps early, that year (First Quarter?). Though it could have been late in '86. Steve has pictures of KK at the Silverdome, mud bogging against USA-1. Perhaps he can remind us of when that show was.
I think that was Jan of '87 guys. I would say KK was introduced late 86. It got mutilated by the track crew at the dome that night.It was stuck and they could not free it.

Firehawk85

I still believe that War of the Monster Trucks was mid-late 86 because Ford was on top of getting Bigfoot to wear the 87 front end asap. It wouldn't suprise me if KK was debuted just before filming of War of the Monster Trucks.