Info *Official* Southern Sunshine Thread

Discussion in 'Old Skool Monster Trucks' started by isonater911, Jan 22, 2010.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1

isonater911

isonater911

isonater911

*Official* Southern Sunshine/Cajun King Thread

Alright guys, so today I met with Glenn for about a hour to check out the trucks and listen to a few stories. I am going to try to tell a story as I post up pictures I took today. First off I want to say thanks to Glenn for letting this happen. And also thanks to Mart for building these machines, upon talking to Glenn today I learned that I myself act if not the same but close to the same as Mart, so I would like to think at this moment Mart is looking down at us, saying "Way to go guys, and thank you for not forgetting about me." I know we have been discussing the ages of the trucks, and this is what Glenn told me. He said Sunshine was built between 1982 and 1983. He said at this time Mart knew nothing about other Monster Trucks, and did not use pictures to build one. Like other trucks, Sunshine was built because of a dare. Glenn went on to say that Cajun King was built in 1985, and was billed as the worlds largest Caddy. He said a building down the road try to beat them, but their Caddy didn't run '66's. I also asked about the tow vehicle for Shawn and Glenn said it was sold, but only after it was painted white.(Request from his parents).

Here is the first picture/glimpse I got today of Southern Sunshine
    [​IMG]

Then I was crushed to see this is what happened to Cajun King..
    [​IMG]

Glenn wanted me to pull yalls leg with that one, here is the King.
    [​IMG]

Here are some various shots from Sunshine..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a few Various of Cajun King..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motor from Sunshine..
    [​IMG]

Motor from King, and then the original motor that came out of King..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. Jan 22, 2010 #2

isonater911

isonater911

isonater911

Next up are the original headers off sunshine..
    [​IMG]

Then Glenn brought me into Mart's office to show me a few things..like a drawing of the truck..
    [​IMG]
    One of the original front fenders from the truck. Glenn went on to say the truck had never had an accident, just the old bed and front got tore up crushing cars and the tires eating them up..
    [​IMG]
    Then he showed me a few of Mart's trophies.
    [​IMG]

Finally he showed me the Louisiana State flag, and the confederate flags that always hung from the trucks. Yes they are the same ones from all the old pictures of Southern Sunshine.
    [​IMG]

We then walked back into the shop and I asked him about the hook up on the back of the truck, and asked him if Mart ever pulled sleds. He said it was to help the other trucks when they would break, because Mart was that kind of a guy.
    [​IMG]

He then showed me "baby" Sunshine. His parents asked that it be re-painted so this is what it looks like today.
    [​IMG]

Finally I took a photo of this bumper sticker on Sunshine that I LOVED.
    [​IMG]

Glenn then went on to tell me a story about one time when they went to Indy for a Jambo 1984 he thinks. He said that a guy had interest in buying the truck, and him and Mart talked things over in the motor home and Mart came out. Glenn and the crew asked Mart if it was a good amount of money, and Mart said "Yes, a GOOD amount of money" Glenn said "enough for us to get rich and load this goose neck up with hay bales and beer?" Mart said yes, and Glenn asked why didn't you sell it. Mart replied "Because I still have things in store for the truck." At that moment I almost started to tear up, because I was already touching the airbrushing of Sunshine on the side of the truck. I then told Glenn "Now that you tell me that story, I have no idea what Mart had planned for the truck, but now we have to do something with em. Its what he would want." Then Glenn replied "I want to, I want them back to how they used to be, its how they are ment to be kept." Then he went on to say,"its like I told the guys on the board, maybe the South may rise again." Today was an awesome day, for sure one of the best ones I have had in the past 3 or so years. I look forward to talking to Glenn more and learning more about the trucks and Mart. I will do anything I can do to help get these trucks back running, and to have a rolling memorial for Mart. I never met the man, but touching his trucks and dwelling on things while admiring them, I KNOW I have to not only preserve monster truck and Louisiana history, but I feel that I owe Mart something, and that is to spread the word of him and his trucks to everyone. Boy I truly honestly, wish I would have been around to meet Mart. He sounded like one helluva guy to hangout with, talk to, and slam back a few cold ones with.

Here is my photobucket link, which has more pictures I took today, such as the frame and loads of other stuff. The trucks have their own album, so I say bookmark it, because everything I do picture wise as far as the trucks go will be put there. [ame="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/angerinc8604/Southern%20Sunshine/"]Southern Sunshine pictures by angerinc8604 - Photobucket[/ame]

Also what do Glenn and I have to do to get some of those colorful user names. Him now being the owner of the trucks, and me being a crew member?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #3

extreme racing

extreme racing

extreme racing

Wow.... Just wow!!!! This is so great to see. When i read these trucks were found an seen the old bed sitting outside rusting away i had a bad feeling the trucks were in bad shape. I also was hoping someone would pick them up along the way an do the right thing, Cleaning them up an put something together for mart. BUT With further reading it seems there in a great home an also keeping the trucks in the family of mart is just so!!! great to hear. Also the trucks look like they have been frozen in time besides a little serface rust an needing a good detailing an draining an replacing all fluids, There ready to go. I hope that they can be cleaned up a bit an do a tribute to mart. I hope i can help in anyway, I would be tickled pink an sleep so good at night knowing i helped in some way on the "KING" an "SUNSHINE". I may not be able to be there an help turn a wrench, But if i could donate money to the trucks (AND KNOW THE CASH WENT INTO THE TRUCKS) I would be all for it. Let me know.

4. Jan 22, 2010 #4

isonater911

isonater911

isonater911

Well the fluids were drained 24 years ago, so all they need to do is be replaced. There wasn't much surface rust on em, mainly a few lines that need to be fixed and give em a good clean up. As far as to donate money, the man you need to talk to is G-MAN he owns em. And you are totally right about being frozen in time, because that is exactly what they are. I think once Glenn and I dive head first and get the gears going, you guys are going to be thrilled...

5. Jan 22, 2010 #5

extreme racing

extreme racing

extreme racing

Well il send him a pm, I would love to see them all fresh again they hold so much memories for the family as well as there own place in the history of monster trucks i did not get a chance to meet mart but from what i have herd he's just one of the guys you could kick back an have a beer with, Just an all around great guy, Im excited:thumbsup: :thumbsup:. I hope the family is all for doing this. I would be honored to do this for my family.

6. Jan 22, 2010 #6

G-MAN

G-MAN

G-MAN

Matt, You are a truly awesome dude to meet. Guys his enthusiasm was unreal when he put his hands on both trucks because in reality he really could not beleive he was actually standing in a time warp. You did a fantastic job to re-introduce these trucks to the world as they were 26 years ago. I told Matt that mart was probably the youngest guy on the circuit 23-24 years old with a balls to the wall attitude. His famous saying was NO GUTS- NO GLORY! My sincere thanks to Matt for being a class act! And we have only just begun. Thank you to Extreme racing for your reply and it will take some time for all of this to happen because Hurricane Rita, Gustav and Ike were not good for me. THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

7. Jan 22, 2010 #7

theace27

theace27

theace27

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Unbelievable!!! I can remember 3 short years ago when I joined this forum Matt and I got talking briefly about the whereabouts of Southern Sunshine and Cajun King. I can recall someone saying that when he finds them it will be like the scene in Back to the Future III when Marty and Doc go recover the DeLorean in the cave. That was not a under statement. This is amazing that after all theses years seeing these trucks today. So I take it we will once again see these trucks sit high on their 66"s? I am sure right now Mart is looking down on you guys proud that his trucks are being seen again. I look forward to seeing great things come out of this!! Good job gentlemen!!!

8. Jan 22, 2010 #8

ed3165

ed3165

ed3165

All I can say is thank you thank you to Matt for the pictures and the hard work and to Glenn for letting matt take pictures. just awesome.

9. Jan 22, 2010 #9

G-MAN

G-MAN

G-MAN

My heart is so filled with joy, I hope it does not explode! All of you are unbeleivable for such kind responses. You cannot imagine how I feel to see how much this means to me. Being brothers we were very different, me being more business oriented and mart being care free. I looked for the future and he would say his future was in front of you today. Thankall of you guys!

10. Jan 22, 2010 #10

Tim Dudley

Tim Dudley

Tim Dudley

I've loved the MT's since I could remember. And these two trucks where 2 of my favorite along with Awesome Kong and Bigfoot 3 and few others. I think that would be a great idea to donate money to get these cleaned up and see these two beautiful trucks (sorry cars too. LOL) out there on the showroom floor again.

I bet even 25 year later they can take home some 1st place prizes in car shows.

11. Jan 22, 2010 #11

theace27

theace27

theace27

That one brings tears to the eyes man!!!

12. Jan 22, 2010 #12

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

BiteMeStudios

The silent reverence that I have experienced watching this thread develop over the past few days has been nothing short of remarkable. Until very recently, I wasn't familiar with these two trucks beyond a picture in a book I have, and the occasional mention here on the board. As most of you are aware, at one point, I had a gallery dedicated to "Where Are They Now" pictures of old school monster trucks. More often than not, this was a truly heartbreaking venture for me. I saw one after another of the trucks I grew up in awe of rusting away in a field....covered in bird droppings...repainted...rebodied...recycled...parted out...forgotten. And then a story like this comes along. I feel like a time capsule has opened, and all the bittersweet reminders of a time gone by are sitting right there in front of me. While it is absolutely amazing to see these two machines in perfect working order, I know it has to be difficult for Glenn to rehash these memories. Glenn, I want to personally thank you for opening up this part of your life to all of us. A lot has happened for me recently to rekindle my love for the old school...this is yet another for me. Thank you to Matt, who has stuck his neck out on this one and put an astonished smile on this video man's face. Lord knows I need it right now.

13. Jan 22, 2010 #13

Tim Dudley

Tim Dudley

Tim Dudley

There is one picture that stood out for me....The one of the front axle. That bar coming from frame down to the axle. Looks like same set up Excaliber had. Now here's the thing...This truck was built before Excaliber right? So did owner of Excaliber get the idea from Marty?

14. Jan 22, 2010 #14

isonater911

isonater911

isonater911

"The Big Cheese" Colby, told ya I had something to maybe make that knee feel better..Tim, I honestly have no idea, that maybe something one of the crazy old school guys can answer. I just know Glenn said Mart knew nothing about other trucks when he did this. Oh and ace when you talked about Back to The Future, I think it was our own Colby who made that statment many years ago...

15. Jan 22, 2010 #15

G-MAN

G-MAN

G-MAN

Hey guys, Have you ever seen a MT climb a pine tree? Matt and I will show you it can be done on a dare of course. I have an excellent photo of this.Who would have ever done anything like that? Mart and his Southern Sunshine!

16. Jan 22, 2010 #16

JRB4337

JRB4337

JRB4337

Now this I have to see to believe this. Glenn, like it has been said before thank you for allowin Matt to take photos of these preserved pieces of time. I just can't wait to see more!

17. Jan 22, 2010 #17

Rokoneer

Rokoneer

Rokoneer

Hey Glenn, do you have a good picture of Mart you could post? I'd like to put a face to the name.

And thanks SO much for sharing these trucks with us!

18. Jan 22, 2010 #18

TXTERROR

TXTERROR

TXTERROR

they are still stunning!!when alot of folks saw their first monster truck it was mostly bigfoot bearfoot or usa1..in our neck of the woods this one was just as awesome as those.i saw scott stephens and pablo the next year when they brought the swb king krunch and coors brewser to beaumont and asked him to sign a book with king krunch in it.it also had the sunshine in it and thats when he told me the owner had passed away he had heard.he said he was a real good guy.thanks gman and thanks matt..again let me know if yall need help.i go to the fire school in sulpher with my job about once a year so i might be able to find my way around town

19. Jan 22, 2010 #19

TXTERROR

TXTERROR

TXTERROR

you know after looking at the rebirth of the vb beast,southern storm,cyclops and now these 2..i believe the old school trucks have a soul or spirit themselves lol.tube frames just cant bring the excitement like these

20. Jan 22, 2010 #20

theace27

theace27

theace27

AMEN to that!!!