Info *Official* Southern Sunshine Thread

Ridge Runner

Aawwwww !!!! :(:(:( Sorry that it had to come to that. I imagine that was a very hard decision. But, guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Hopefully, it won't come to y'all having to part with SS. Don't suppose the new owner is a mayhem member? Please keep us here at MM in the loop, as some of us ain't on Facebook. All my best to the future of SSR.

G-MAN

Cajun King will soon travel to its new owner. We are not selling because of health or financial reasons, we don't have a house for it. We will probably tire down soon and get it ready soon. We are waiting for weather to clear so they can make a good trip.

G-MAN

Well, Tomorrow The King gets his big shoes taken off and putting his traveling shoes on. Tiring Down for first time in about 2 years. BITTERSWEET! Don't know what to say but, It is what it is.

G-MAN

Cajun King will go to its new owner near Colfax, La. It will probably leave our shop March 3-4 and make about 11/2 hour journey north of here. We will be able to visit the truck anytime and will be featured on a Mud Fest calendar and Televised. Mart would be so proud that the world can see his creations from all over, that is something we could not do.

G-MAN

Cajun King will begin it's new journey in life on Saturday. I am excited and sad, because I can't wait to see what the future holds for him. The new owners are very excited about having him around and I can't wait to visit. However, it may take awhile because we are so busy right now. Glenn

G-MAN

Yeah Mike, It is very tough to do but there are choices in life we cannot do anything about. I would love to keep them forever, but it can't happen. If most people knew the circumstances, I think they may understand. I hope Mart is proud that we made this decision for him because they were built to be enjoyed and not just sit in the shop. I know they will be in the public eye because the new owner acts like he just won the lottery and he is proud!

Ridge Runner

So what's gonna happen with "Sunshine" ? Your backyard? Just as long as she's well taken care of as we know she'll be. Do y'all have a pole barn or an aluminum canopy in mind?

G-MAN

We have been thinking about those things, but in SW La. dew and rust can take over in no time. HHMMM

G-MAN

Southern Sunshine had a very close call today of losing it all. A car veered off the highway and was headed right for her door and the only thing that stopped it was a blue pole. If the pole wasn't there, the car would have been right in her face. Mart is still looking out for her. God is good!

G-MAN

Well folks SSR is still alive and well. I guess this is why people lose interest in ol skool trucks because nobody talks about them. We started this year with a bang at a Monster X tour show, Thanks to many friends that believe in us, We had the time of our lives. To get Sunshine in the spotlight at a big time show was awesome. People will never know the emotions that ran through me there. On another note Cajun King and its new owner, Was interviewed on Trucks Gone Wild Mud Fest in Colfax, La. this past weekend. It should air at any time so look for it. They did Great! SSR Lives Forever!

Ridge Runner

Sounds like y'all had a good time. Don't suppose anybody took pics or video? Hopefully, they'll get posted here, after all, not everybody's on Facebook. You're right though, it has been rather... slow here. HEY Y'ALL !!!! Let's get things up and goin here.

G-MAN

Thanks for the post ridge runner, a lot of ol skoolers are losing interest and we have done everything we can to bring the spark back. It sure is sad to see where monster trucking began go by the wayside. If it wasn't for a guy like Bob Chandler, that was able to keep the sport alive, I guess we would not be where we are today. Thank you Bigfoot Inc. for keeping the sport going and our dreams are still here because of that. Mart and Bob were good friends, and Bob taught him a lot about things to enhance their trucks, but still competitors. If Mart were here today, I swear he would be at the top with Bigfoot. NO DOUBT in my mind. They were tight.

Ridge Runner

interesting to ponder what could have been, and where the sport might have gone. Those two could've shown that Anderson boy and that Meents fella a thing or two. ( no disrespect intended, as I'm a fan of both) As for losing interest, Y'all ain't gettin rid of me !!! :D I'd bet many more feel the same here.

G-MAN

Haha I love it, All the ol skoolers were great people and they learned from each other. Sure they had to compete but at the end of the day having a cold one, you should have heard their discussions about bringing the sport to a newer level. They all helped each other, like a bunch of brothers.

G-MAN

Hey Guys and gals, Just wanted to see if any of you knew that Southern Sunshine has a new owner? Gary TX Terror is now the very proud owner has started to take SS to higher levels. She is still one of the last originals from the beginning, and has been kept all original, besides safety features. Gary has been a longtime dedicated friend and crew member and knows how to take care of her. Our thanks go out to Matt the Iceman for starting us back up in 2010. Please keep in touch with us and we wish Gary well! Thanks Glenn

G-MAN

We completed a lot of milestones in the past 4 years, Mart has a display and Plaque in the International Monster Truck Hall of Fame, Participated in Winter Nationals In Sulphur, Participated in The Monster X tour in the Lake Charles Civic Center and won almost every car show in our area. But mainly was able to go to benefits for kids with cancer, to raise funds for their cure and their families to be with them. That is worth it all! I feel I can Honestly say, Mart's Dream Still Lives On! Glenn

Daniel G

And you Glenn, how do you feel after selling the 2 trucks?

It really has been a real pleasure to read all your stories. This thread is certainly one of the best in this forum.

Your brother is certainly extremely proud of you for all what you did to live his dream on.

A thousand of thanks for adventure, from the time Matt found the truck after 25 years, all the work to restore the trucks and all the shows and displays you did.

G-MAN

Thank you Daniel, It is bittersweet to have both trucks sold but, They are in fantastic hands. These new owners can keep the dream alive and they will. They have the same ambition that I have and they know the history behind them. I got all the faith in the world for these people and can do things that we were not able to. It is in their hands to keep ol skool spirit alive and well. Glenn

G-MAN

In reality, We have had over 204,600 people to view or comment on this thread. That makes me very happy to know a lot of people are interested in our history and a very positive thread. I think we may be the #2 thread for Mayhem. We keep it clean, positive and very proud of the support and response. Although I may not own these trucks anymore, I can drive 1 1/2 hours and probably do whatever I want to do. So proud of the new owners! SSR may the dream live forever!