Old school gurus come in please

JERMzSS

I broke out my old photo album and I had a few questions about some of the trucks I have run into when I was a kid.

My dad took me to a show in Little Rock Ark. on Jan 29th of 89. The ticket says its the "Winter Nationals". It was 90% truck pulling but Bigfoot and USA-1 were also there! These pics are pics I took of pics with my cell phone so sorry if they arent the best.

1st question: USA-1 had body damage to its drivers side door, fender and roof. Any idea when and where it happened at? This show took place on Jan 29 1989.

2nd question: This was the Bigfoot truck that was at the same show. Is it BF 3? Ive thought it was but wasnt 100% sure. (btw I have no idea who that kid in the pic is....thats what I get for letting my dad take the pics lol.)

3rd question: I really dont have a question about the next 2 trucks just wondering if anybody else has ever seen them. This Dodge named Desperado was at a local car show and they handed out these cards. It says (at the time anyways) that it was the worlds only top fuel monster truck and that it had 3,000hp. Owned by J. Mack Bohn and Ron Wood not sure where they are from. Powered by a 500 cubic inch KB Hemi with a 1471 blower.

4th question: This truck was at our local fair on display for SKOAL products. Beautiful truck! One of the best looking that ive seen in person and these pics dont do it justice at all. I dont remember ever seeing it on tv or hearing about it doing any shows either. Says Skoal Bandit on the hood but im wondering if it might of been the AM PM Rocket? It says AM PM on the fender.....im not sure. Anybody know anything about it?

isonater911

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me that the USA-1 damage may have been due to the roll/win when it won the 88 championship...With you saying the show was in Jan. of '89...I think it should fit in to that time period..

car66

im gonna say that its bigfoot 4. all the pics i have seen of three have been the 80-86 body style and that truck is 87-91 or 92 body style.
the skoal bandit truck was owned by seth daulton who also owned the am/pm trucks. the sticker is probably because of the sposorship deal with am/pm. no, that truck was never am/pm rocket.

theace27

im gonna say that its bigfoot 4. all the pics i have seen of three have been the 80-86 body style and that truck is 87-91 or 92 body style.
The truck in question is actually Bigfoot II, it is hard to see in the pic but it is there, a factory frame with the chrome planetary covers is a dead give away of II. III wore black planetaries always. Unless KD has seen some footage to say otherwise.

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Man, if you haven't seen footage from that Skoal Bandit truck from back in the day you're sorely missing out. That truck and Rocket were well before their time, much Excaliber was even before that.

BIGFOOTfan25

i think the damage to USA 1 is from when steve couldn't stop at an indoor show and ran into the brick wall at the end of the building. it was on the tuff trax video.

gmtgmt

the skoal truck was not a real am pm boss truck
it was an all new truck but was damaged in a race frame was bent or something like that. parts was used to make the Skoal Copenhagen crusher/Ecology Eliminator and the frame and body was repainted and made into the AM PM Display truck that was on top of the museum and later rebuild into the truck that was used in the Herbi Fully Loaded movie

carcrusher

Jason - wasn't the Chicago event that started the points series off in like April? Dennis already had switched to the silver rims after running the old gold rims the whole first quarter (St Paul, Biloxi, Tallahassee, Houston, etc)

gmtgmt

i think the damage to USA 1 is from when steve couldn't stop at an indoor show and ran into the brick wall at the end of the building. it was on the tuff trax video.
its was in jan 89 the pic was taken, Rod injured him self in late septemer or october 89

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Jason - wasn't the Chicago event that started the points series off in like April? Dennis already had switched to the silver rims after running the old gold rims the whole first quarter (St Paul, Biloxi, Tallahassee, Houston, etc)
uhhhmmm.... wow this would be news to me and a lesson for the day. I was at one of the events that weekend and thought it was in January, didn't know the point's didn't start 'til April. Have my ticket stub buried in a folder, suppose I should dig it out.

carcrusher

I was just going from the timeline in my head - the next televised races were from Louisville, which were held in like May I think? I do have to guess though that it was later than Jan because of the rim change/depainting on Digger.

DiggerFan

I'm pretty sure the 1989 TNT Chicago races were on April 22, 23, & 24. I think the Louisville (Speedway) races that year were on June 3 & 4 (based on the information I've gathered).

I thought the points season started before Chicago, though? St. Paul, Tallahassee, Houston, Biloxi, etc weren't for points?

Last edited:

Jason Twite

Freelancer
This is starting to ring bell in my empty head. I distinctly remember Army or Richard Leek asking, I think Anderson, about getting ready to run outside. That would definitely put the event in April.

carcrusher

I didn't think they were for points but I suppose they could have been. I have the Tuff Trax episode of Louisville somewhere and I'll check to see what the points were like there if I can find the footage.

I believe that to be big foot 4, i dont think bigfoot 3 had the mcdonalds sponsor that is located on the side near the back of the truck. not sure on the dodge truck but yes i did see the skoal bandit, im suprised you dont know of it alittle more because it was a heavy contender in its day, it actually started off as a 58 cameo with a v12 jag motor, then later was given the 72 cheyenne body. that truck was 1 of 2 in the skoal garage, its "brother" is the skoal copenhagen crusher. both trucks were contenders that sported different chevy bodies over the years.