Truck Related Original 6x6 Monster?

Discussion in 'Old Skool Monster Trucks' started by MrMonsterTrucks, Jul 30, 2013.

Help Support Monster Mayhem by donating:

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1

MrMonsterTrucks

MrMonsterTrucks

MrMonsterTrucks

I have heard conflicting reports on who was the first to build a six wheel drive monster truck. I have seen a magazine clip saying that Matt Perderson was the first with his Six-Foot. However, that same clip said something else. It said that they had originally reported that Charles Flynn's Big Brutus was the first and they were they correcting themselves. But they don't say a word about Don Buchholtz's King of the Road in the process. For those who actually lived through the times rather than me who just read and researched it, is the magazine still wrong? Or is it accurate? May the game of "Whodunit First" begin.

2. Jul 30, 2013 #2

theace27

theace27

theace27

Somewhere between Helle River and London, Ontario
    Which magazine was that? And what was the date of it? I'd have to say without having done much research on the matter that both Six Foot and Big Brutus came into being in 1985 possibly 1986 for Big Brutus. However Matt Pederson's Six Foot only did one show of which it wasn't under its own power but floated on a flat bed for the Sea-fest Parade in 1985 before it met its demise in a shop fire. Matt constructed another Six Foot truck in the coming 2 years and by the time it was finished Don Bucholtzs King of the Road was already on the scene. I know Charles Flynn was still running Hog Machine up until the end of 1985 and it was likely that Big Brutus was under construction, however after Brutus was completed Hog Machine was not run very much after that. A lot of speculation has been made over the years that Charles dismantled Hog Machine to build Big Brutus but that is not the case, Brutus was a fresh build with all its own parts. Minus the tires apparently.

3. Jul 31, 2013 #3

Sinister '32

Sinister '32

Sinister '32

I believe the magazine being referred to was an issue of Pulling Power. They had done a feature on Big Brutus previously and were issuing a correction to their prior statements about Big Brutus being the first 6x6. IIRC, Pederson wrote the magazine informing them Six Foot predated Big Brutus, which lead to the correction.

4. Aug 5, 2013 #4

Wannadrive1

Wannadrive1

Wannadrive1

Anyone got pics or vids...? And any still around AND moving?