Outback Thunda sky wheelie Pictures

Bigfulla

Here are some great shots taken at the weekend show at Newcastle Showgrounds(fairgrounds) 7th February.
Clive featherby pulls off a past vertical sky wheelie with the back wheels easily 3 meters above the cars at the highest point

The truck tipped to the righthand side

Right over to the right

Even further than that shot, with the sides of the two wheels fully touching the ground, Clive managed to drive his way out of the roll over in spectacular fashion, to a very loud raw from the capacity crowd.

This show was well and truely sold out, with over 3000 people turned away at the gates.

Thanks to Darryl Smith for sending in the photos.

Adam Connell

Man... I hate to tell you, but this entire industry is not worth you(or whoever) is standing there and getting run over by some 14 year old kid...

cool shots, but it's not worth getting killed over...

Get your idiot Photographer our of the friggen shot, and do us all a favor...as an industry we dont need any more bad publicity...

Last edited:

Bigfulla

Ok there you go ranting your ******** crap again. Here are a few truths about these pictures.
First of all, Last time I looked at Clive, who was driving the truck, as clearly stated in the first post, he is not 14 years old.
Next thing where is the photographer in these shots, I don't see him anywhere. Zoom lenses are great for taking shots from far away, professional photographers can do this. At no stage was anyone is any kind of danger while this was happening.
My advice to you would be to look at the photos, comment on them if you like but please don't go telling me that the photographer was in any danger, you weren't there.
Just
cool shots
would have surficed thanks.

Damo74

Get your idiot Photographer our of the friggen shot, and do us all a favor...as industry we dont need any more bad publicity...
Thanks for your informative comment Adam. Obviously you were there, and knew exactly where the photographer was standing. Otherwise how could you make such a comment. Without knowing the actual facts? I mean, only an idiot would make a comment without knowing the facts right? :confused:

Next time, we'll tell Daryl not to use his zoom lens so convincingly. And a lot of the pictures in the picture of the day thread have trucks that zoomed up in the frame, yet fancy that, no one is worried about those, because most people use their common sense and know the photographer is not standing right next to the ******* truck!

And like Chris said, last time I saw Clive, he is definately older than 14 years old. :rolleyes:

So, again, thankyou.

Kindest regards.

P.S. PM if you need to check your info next time, k?

Adam Connell

Hey, where did I get my start? Photography...

All I know it that's not what I call a safe angle... you got a 14 year old kid driving one of the trucks, and he shares the same last name as the guy driving that truck in those pictures...

Sorry guys, my mistake!

Im not trying to start a fight here, but Im not exactly fond of what I see...

Jason Twite

Freelancer
Education across the industry and the world is the only way we're going to achieve higher levels of safety for all people in and around monster trucks.

If Clive Featherby gave him the "OK" to be where he was to shoot photos, that is something both parties have to realize that is a choice they will live with. No, we don't know how far away he was, but in the interest in safety and fairness, his position probably was not the best place to stand.

However, in keeping with the fairness factor, this is not an isolated incident and is one dozens of people are guilty of almost every weekend. Now, before the fingers swing right back at me, I fully admit I've put myself, even with a promoter's "OK," into some flat out STUPID spots for photos or just to watch. I've been cussed-out (for a lack of better words) by event directors for violating safety procedures and endangering myself, fans, and the company. That was a tough personal lesson to learn. But, hey, that's what this years has been about so far.

Very questionable and stupid moves at recent events:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAS77rrxxlM"]YouTube - monster trucks green bay, wi[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0pvoUvhmEE"]YouTube - Monster Trucks 09[/ame]

Any guesses? How about the 1987-era waving a flag in the middle of the car sets! Even if it was '87 again with 15,000lbs slow-moving beasts it was a dumb idea back then and an even more ridiculous thing to do today! This absolutely drives me NUTS! And if DOESN'T make anybody angry or concerned, then I seriously want to know why?

Here is just one serious example of why standing in between the cars is a MAJOR safety violation: the Monster Nationals Friday event in Madison, WI last month; TailGator broke the rear steer after the Finals and spent the early hours on Saturday fixing it. Gator pulls to the line to kick off the Saturday event Wheelie Contest and nails the cars only to twist hard to the right and end up ontop of the 2nd&3rd cars IN THE OTHER LANE! Why? rear axle was broken and with the rear steer also busted, it completely masked the more serious issue.

Now imagine if in one of those races above, that same thing were to play out. I don't think I have to give you the details beyond that!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwr0hWB5Czc"]YouTube - Rock star the monster truck[/ame]

What's with the mob-scenes in the corner tunnels? And are those kids on the left side standing on the floor? Do we really have to count the number of problems here? You can start by just counting the number of people: Around 30. THIRTY! people on the floor while a truck is running. You HAVE to be prepared for the unexpected and what are 30 people (8 in one tunnel, 20+ in another) going to do if something, ANYTHING comes there way in a hurry? Please tell me where they're going to go or how they're going to move for them all to be safe?

There were some photos posted from over the weekend that were pretty awesome to look at (much like the Outback Thunda ones), but immediately made me cringe when I thought about where the person was standing to take them. Believe me, again, I've done the same stuff! And will never intentionally put myself in that kind of harm's way again.

Adam, you're right. We absolutely DON'T need anymore bad publicity. However, the only thing that brings the bad publicity are tragedies. This has obviously been a trying year for monster trucks and we will fight through it. Furthermore, we cannot let accidents be ignored and no knowledge gained from them. We are in a heightened state of security and safety with monster trucks over the past year or so and never has awareness needed to be so high.

Educate each other, help each other, and we'll all improve.

AndrewPellegrine

Photographer
I can tell you right now that picture is not taken with a zoom lens, like Jason said, we all need to educate each other, not brush it under the rug until something happens.

[email protected]

it was made mention of "educating each other" and "education across the industry" I could not agree more..... HOWEVER There are many people who's ego's match the size of our trucks and will not take advice nor never admit to wrongdoing or think that there is always more than there way of doing something.

Until you get the "bone heads" in this industry to look at things with a open mind set and quit bashing each other and try to work toward on common goal things will NEVER CHANGE !

The common goal is SAFETY & being SAFE. Safety & being safe starts in the shop when you purchase a truck or are building the truck and continues from that day forward ! Granted yes in the past I have ripped some **** here and maybe have not been correct 100 % of the time but the fact remains that it got people talking about what ever it was I was ripping someone about. In my opinion if it got ONE person top say "hey maybe he's right" or try something different and it worked for them then I did in fact contribute to the betterment of our sport.

I have since taken a different approach to life in general & I suggest everyone else take a minute and reflect on your own life and where you are headed and try to help the fellow man instead of being busy trying to make yourself look superior to your peers & work with your fellow man.
We in the industry are very fortunate and belong to a very special fraternity, unlike other forms of motor sports that there are 1,000's of we are in reality the few, so let's start acting like the professionals we are considered to be by the rest of the world.

I will pass along a life lesson from my father that has merit...... You should learn something new everyday, you can learn from a 90 yr. old person & you can learn from a child..... you have to open your mind up & recognize the possible knowledge that is before you.

I will finish up with a quote for you to think about from Dan Patrick....... " I give what I get"

Last edited:

Dustin Hart AM

The shot was taken at a focal length of 44mm on a Canon 30D with a shutter speed of 100, an apeture of F/5, and an iso of 1000. The exif doesn't lie my friends. He's a little too close for comfort if you ask me.

RedeemerMT

By the way the flash is hitting the truck and by the angle. I'd venture to say that shot is taken at about 50mm tops.
I would have never guessed the guy was within 3inches of the truck AKA 50mm. He must have zoomed out to make it look farther away!!!!:D(sarcasm of course and assuming you meant 50meters???)

On another note, what is considered safe to one guy isn't necessarily interpreted the same by the next. Opinions are opinions, and perspectives are perspectives. We all complain about government restrictions and the economy, but it seems that conversations like this are what lead people to seek out a form of government that in turns controls them in ways they may end up to dislike (I seem to remember a very heated debate about something called the MTRA a while back and blower restrictions, weight restrictions, etc!!!!). In turn we can then blame or depend on them to fix our problems. Or we could all just be determined to be responsible for our own actions and quit sueing each other, etc. Point being, this will be a constant argument unless you move to a Communist country and fear death for doing anything "outside of the box". I would never in a million years do a backflip on a dirtbike, or ride a raging bull, but there are a lot of people who don't think twice about. To each there own, and I think that society will still recognize individuals as individuals. The fear of "the whole industry" being blamed is smoke and mirrors.......don't get me wrong, I get a kick out hearing how concerned everyone is, but like most of the cops I know who bust bad guys and then get a little wild themselves on their days off-who are we kidding;) I would totally wave a checkered flag between two trucks just the same as I work within inches of the edge of a bank on a Dozer. Some say crazy, I say I calculated the risk and its my own fault if I mess up. It's been fun ranting!!!!:)

Later,
Jason

Buckeye

I would have never guessed the guy was within 3inches of the truck AKA 50mm. He must have zoomed out to make it look farther away!!!!:D(sarcasm of course and assuming you meant 50meters???)
He is refering to the focal length of the camera lens. At 50mm, which is not much zoom, you would have to be fairly close to have the truck that much detail.

AndrewPellegrine

Photographer
So could either of you Aussies care to elaborate on how 44mm is a zoom lens? Or were you just blatantly lying to all of us since "We weren't there"?

Darryl

Hello to all this is my first post . Wow you guys are tough . By the way I am the guy who took the photos . You sure know how to kick a guy in the guts when you don't even know all the facts . You go on about focal lengths , what a load of rubbish . Let me tell you a few photographer secrets . Firstly use a zoom lens so you don't have to get so close , and a good one at that . Set your flash to the max to get all the light into the truck . Put your asa up to absorb all that light . Squat down for a dramatic angle . Squatting also helps you spring into step if you need to. And then when you get home go into Photoshop and crop the shot so it looks like you were up close and to be sure sharpen the image so it doesn't look like you were far away . And hey presto you have some great shots to put on the web . Now hope everyone likes them and no one calls you an idiot !!! Go out and frame a vertical monster truck and you'll realise I wasn't that close ....Oh that's right I wasn't ... I cropped the shot ... the exif file told you that did it !!!! Guys I have taken Off Road Stadium pics for 10 years I know a bit about safety . Did anyone ask what was around me at the time . NO .. There was the take off ramp for the freestyle moto x ( something taller than the trucks is always good for the drivers to drive around ) but if they weren't in control ... well that was then the huge motorcycle thing that crunches cars and it was close by too and NO truck was going to move that . More tips .... never take your eyes off the truck . Some digital photographers want to review every shot ... Don't ever take your eyes off the truck . I always walk the course first and go through all possibilities in my head . I ask the drivers what their plans are . I never let anyone stand too close to me so I don't trip over running away . And by the way Clive always tells me where is a no go zone ; his people are always safety first people .
So having said that , I hope that clears things up .
I sympathize with you over your recent losses but don't go off at me without the facts .
I hope our next chat is more friendlier .
Darryl.

isonater911

Hello to all this is my first post . Wow you guys are tough . By the way I am the guy who took the photos . You sure know how to kick a guy in the guts when you don't even know all the facts . You go on about focal lengths , what a load of rubbish . Let me tell you a few photographer secrets . Firstly use a zoom lens so you don't have to get so close , and a good one at that . Set your flash to the max to get all the light into the truck . Put your asa up to absorb all that light . Squat down for a dramatic angle . Squatting also helps you spring into step if you need to. And then when you get home go into Photoshop and crop the shot so it looks like you were up close and to be sure sharpen the image so it doesn't look like you were far away . And hey presto you have some great shots to put on the web . Now hope everyone likes them and no one calls you an idiot !!! Go out and frame a vertical monster truck and you'll realise I wasn't that close ....Oh that's right I wasn't ... I cropped the shot ... the exif file told you that did it !!!! Guys I have taken Off Road Stadium pics for 10 years I know a bit about safety . Did anyone ask what was around me at the time . NO .. There was the take off ramp for the freestyle moto x ( something taller than the trucks is always good for the drivers to drive around ) but if they weren't in control ... well that was then the huge motorcycle thing that crunches cars and it was close by too and NO truck was going to move that . More tips .... never take your eyes off the truck . Some digital photographers want to review every shot ... Don't ever take your eyes off the truck . I always walk the course first and go through all possibilities in my head . I ask the drivers what their plans are . I never let anyone stand too close to me so I don't trip over running away . And by the way Clive always tells me where is a no go zone ; his people are always safety first people .
So having said that , I hope that clears things up .
I sympathize with you over your recent losses but don't go off at me without the facts .
I hope our next chat is more friendlier .
Darryl.
Darryl I hear what you are saying, and how some people may have jumped to conclusions, but did you need to treat everyone here like a child and tell them how to take a photo? I mean I am not a photographer by any means , but I think you did not have to tell us your "secrets" which I would think almost everyone who takes pictures would know....I may have taken your post completly wrong, but instead of taking up for yourself with the people who were talking about your photos, you seemed to talk down to everyone on this board with you photography secrets...and I don't apreciate it...but if it was ment to be all in good fun...I have a question for you. After I follow the secrets, how do I acually take the photo, and then get it onto my computer...lol