Outside of the Starbird's muesuem (pics)

HeartbeatFan

Hey guys, this is the thread I will put pics up of my trip down to the Starbird's muesuem to get an up close and personal view of Frankenstein, Monster Vette, and Wild Stang. I tried to take very good pics of all the trucks this time to help out anyone that was curious what these truck's conditions were. It is very tough to see them like this, but it didn't sound like Cliff Starbird would sell them from what his mom told us. Now Daryl said that "money talks" whether or not Cliff would sell them. We talked to Daryl about a lot of different automotive things and we got to talk about the trucks. He said that they were Cliff's and you would have to talk to him about all of it. Daryl did say something that was pretty neat, he said that Cliff and him went and seen Bigfoot back in like '78. Daryl told Cliff "that shouldn't be too hard to make" and they went home and created Frankenstein. Daryl believes he built the second made monster truck after Bigfoot. Now I am not writing all of this so we can make comments about Daryl's knowledge, I am writing this because he took the time to talk to us about it. He was a very nice man to have a conversation with, especially when we went out in his garage where he was working on restoring one of his famous rods back to how he first did it. Daryl's wife, or Cliff's mom, told us that Barry Wentz was Cliff's brother-in-law at the time and drove with Cliff. Barry was in fact the driver when the infamous roll happened in Wild Stang up in Canada. Barry did pass away she said. I didn't ask about the Pedro looking man on Return of the Monster Trucks, so sorry about that. Anyway, I am posting a teaser pic up until I can get back up to my cpu at school because it takes to long here at my folk's place. Will post the rest by Sunday evening. Oh, and Mike (Ace27), I got you covered with very detailed photos of interior, drivetrain, etc. on these trucks. Trevor

MCMsports

Really sad, that cliff wont ither restore or sell them. Would be kool to see one of those some come back on one of the newer trucks. . . . . .

ed3165

okay really if they were restored what could they do sure a show here or there.
Ill say this he could put a coat a paint on the bodys ones a year or so but really im sure if there was a good reason to restore them he would have.

KD58

I think it'd be cool if a monster truck history museum is ever opened anywhere, to use old trucks like these in a "diorama" setting, depicting classic moments from the sport's past. I know it sounds cheesy, but how much cooler would it look if a couple of trucks like these were sitting atop a long row of cars or parked on a dirt mount or something. All of this would be indoors, with surrounding walls and props done up to simulate a scene from a stadium race or something. Just some random ideas...

-kd

RnW 13

Aren't they working on a Monster Truck Hall of Fame Museum right now?? I figured if that ever happened you'd see a handful of parts, pieces, and even trucks end up there.

I am glad that the Vette isnt in a scrapyard either, Frankensteins cool but it was not very appealing, it really just crawled over cars, the Stang and Vette bounced and blazed there way through the tracks most of the time.

JasonMiller

I think it'd be cool if a monster truck history museum is ever opened anywhere, to use old trucks like these in a "diorama" setting, depicting classic moments from the sport's past. I know it sounds cheesy, but how much cooler would it look if a couple of trucks like these were sitting atop a long row of cars or parked on a dirt mount or something. All of this would be indoors, with surrounding walls and props done up to simulate a scene from a stadium race or something. Just some random ideas...

-kd
It could be something like the section of banking they have inside Daytona USA, with the cars/trucks "running" up on the banking.

RnW 13

-kd
you mean something like how the off road hall of fame is? and somewhat like how Race Rock(s) and some speedways have there visitors centers set up. I always liked those ideas, just a matter of someone taking the time and money to do all this.

My friend gave me a good idea, why not talk to Starbird about putting them on one of the handful of car restoration television shows?

RnW 13

is that white stuff paint or bird *$#?? Looking at Frankenstein, until I saw the rust photos, It didn't look like it was that bad, just faded. The Vette looks to be in better condition though, besides the faded body and weathered interior, doesn't look like its rusting badly or anything.

Makes me wonder though, what Cliff could be doing that he didn't have time to maintain the vehicles.

Last edited:

HeartbeatFan

Yup, that's the bird goo.... but yes Frankenstein is rusting, the Monster Vette's body is fiberglass so it wouldn't rust except the frame.