Paul Shafer Motorsports Knoxville Aug 5 & 6

Danny H.

I saw on Outback Thunda's website that Paul Shafer Motorsports is going to be in Knoxville. Anyone got any info on rest of the lineup?

terrafirma

Its on the OldSkoolMotorsports site, they are going to be back at the sevierville, tn fairgrounds (Knoxville highway) august 5 and 6.

lineup is: predator, prowler, black knight, clydesdale, outback thunda and MONSTER PATROL (knock the dust off and lets going racing!)

I haven't seen monster patrol at a live event since Atlanta motor speedway back in 98, so for me at least that's exciting. I went to the event earlier this year and really enjoyed it and will defiantly be going back.

gmrcs

Question where have schafer's trucks been for the past 2 years, were they taking a break or something?

MonsterTruckFather

in his shop collecting dust!!!!

Wild Thang and Monster Patrol are with Kirk.

Paul Re-built Monster Patrol & Bear Foot!!! Oh yea they are DODGES!!!!

Rampage, Carolina Crusher, Smoke are all sittin in his shop, probably never gona see daylight again....One of my friends went over there last tuesday and they are all still there but Cadaver...

gmrcs

At least Bearfoot and MP are coming back, gonna be nice to see them again out of Paul's shop, but to have so many big old school names (I.e. Carolina Crusher, Wild Thang, Rampage, and I think Taurus) and only run 2... I meen, you could do really well with a fleet of so many big names. Whatever, it will be good to see the 2 again anyway.

RnW 13

Rampage, Carolina Crusher, Smoke are all sittin in his shop, probably never gona see daylight again....One of my friends went over there last tuesday and they are all still there but Cadaver...
Collecting dust? I think not.

The Westville truck stop has Captain USA, Rampage, Cadaver, MP, Wild Thang 2, and Carolina Crusher/Bear Foot are all being worked on, progressing slowly but surely. The Carolina Crusher ride truck is probably still sitting in the hauler from its trip to Wisconsin unless its being worked. I should know I have been in the area all week and had bumped into the one of the guys working on Pauls trucks. Also, I am in frequent contact with Paul to know what shows are going on as well as other things

Smoke does not exsist anymore, that truck is currently Monster Trakker over on the West Coast.

Wild Thang 1 and Kirks MP are with Kirk or one of his crew guys(Kirk hasn't done much driving outside of Overkill from what I've been told recently).

Only vehicle I'm unaware about is the real Carolina Crusher, last whereabouts of that was the old Pontoon shop with beaten MP panels on it, they were taken around the time when the area flooded.

Like mentioned, all but 2 trucks are being worked on, the most accurate information on anything Paul Shafer Motorsports would mostly be the guys at Concussion, Myself, and Clive as we are all in contact with him frequently.

In terms of Boogey Van, Taurus and Rampage names coming back, I have thrown new ideas for the trucks at him a great many times with new paintjobs for each vehicle drawn in detail, however, the unfortunate lack of interest has detoured him from bringing more the aformentioned trucks back.

Also on a side note. The body for Boogey Van has been missing for quite some time and we are trying to make inquiries to its whereabouts, a few of us only have some speculations on what happened to it, but nothing more. If anyone within the industry knows where it is or has information, please contact Paul or myself(to relay to him). It will be very much appreciated.

gmrcs

So all chassis but smoke and the original Carolina crusher will eventually return?

Steven77571

Shall it return, brandon harrrington should drive the carolina crusher because he's from the same hometown of gary porter - and he isn't driving for feld anymore.

I'd like to see those paint scheme ideas you have.

Taz2010

It will be interesting to see these all come back,,,,when talking to Gary in Syracuse, he mentioned he inquired about buying the Carolina Crusher name back but was told that the value of the name was worth much more than he would be willing to pay. Paul told him the name had a bigger value now than when Gary sold it, but not doing anything with it kind of confuses me as to how they figure that? Its a shame Gary can't get CC back and go back out with it, that would be AWESOME!! I still have a hard time seeing Gary in Digger, HE IS Carolina Crusher to me!! That's my 2 cents.
Rich

RnW 13

So all chassis but smoke and the original Carolina crusher will eventually return?
yes the rest are being worked on and should make returns to Paul Shafer Motorsports shows. Since smoke and the old BV chassis have been sold, obviously he cannot redo them. Wild Thang 1 and Kirks MP are in Kirks possession so whatever he is doing with them is beyong my knowledge.

If I have some time next week thursday I'll try and get some photos before they head to the Dupage fair.

I only really had ideas for Monster Patrol, Bear Foot, Taurus, and Carolina Crusher to have new and updated paintjobs.

and I'd highly doubt Harrington would drive Carolina Crusher if it was to return full time. FELD and Shafer are not particularly on speaking terms and its doubtful that Paul would pay any former FELD driver what they made for driving, it would be neat, but unlikely. If anything it'd be one of Pauls drivers or someone from Concussion.

It would be neat to see Gary buy it back, but if he did there is the likelyhood FELD would purchase it from him if he did sell it back, which Paul does not want happening. And the value is up because the truck won 3 addition championships under Shafers ownership. 2 CFP(Harper) and 1 PSM(Tigue) Championship. Porter only on won the inaugural Penda Season Championship with it. It is more valuable than you may think just sitting there.

Last edited:

Taz2010

I see what your saying a little now. I was just saying I thought it was cool idea for Gary to get the name back, but if it were to sell it to Feld then no biggy. I like seeing the old names back out there,,,saw a Monster Patrol in Utica NY last year with a Jeremy something driving,,,I think it was Kirks truck but not sure,,,,
On another note,,,WHERE have you been in West Leb the last few years HOTROD?? WE miss you there!!
Rich

Bigfulla

Speaking with Clive, He is very excited to be at Knoxville, Paul himself will be driving Monster Patrol and Clive is looking forward to Racing Paul in the USA.

terrafirma

Their site says Knoxville, but really its in Sevierville, which is about 20 miles outside of Knoxville, in the city of Pigeon Forge (does that sound confusing?)

I remember from back in 99 or 2000 that Schafer signed a exclusive TV deal with Milestone Motorsports, even though they went bankrupt back in 2000, he couldn't run any of his trucks at any other televised events aka monster jam, for fear of being sued by milestone and that's why we haven't seen him for awhile, plus the fact that he is a very busy business man. Perhaps that contract has finally ended and we can see his trucks back on TV.

Here's a link to the venue: http://www.seviercountyfairgrounds.com/

Kouvre

It would be neat to see Gary buy it back, but if he did there is the likelyhood FELD would purchase it from him if he did sell it back, which Paul does not want happening. And the value is up because the truck won 3 addition championships under Shafers ownership. 2 CFP(Harper) and 1 PSM(Tigue) Championship. Porter only on won the inaugural Penda Season Championship with it. It is more valuable than you may think just sitting there.
No offense to Paul or Ed, but that one PENDA championship is more prestigious than the other championships combined - and then some.

And furthermore, what do those two series have in common? Neither were televised. In fact, I'm fairly sure Carolina Crusher hasn't been on TV regularly period since Gary ended his tenure driving the truck and joined up with Monster Jam. Again, I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but let's be realistic - if you truly think the Carolina Crusher name is more valuable now than it was when Paul Shafer bought it 11 years ago, you're among the most delusional people in an industry full of delusion.

RnW 13

I understand what you mean, but that'd be like saying Bigfoot's CFP Championships or Monster Nationals Championships over the past few years mean jack because they weren't on television, and anyone else who has won a championship that didn't end up on television.

I don't always agree with what Paul's done with his trucks, and for the most part I agree with people saying he should bring back all the old names he owns and so on. But I agree with the apparent value of the truck, the truck had one championship under the original owner, and 3 with him, plus a profitable ride truck, he's interestingly enough, done more with the name to raise its value. Be grateful Paul saved the name, who knows what would have happened if someone else got it, or he flat out retired it. No more Carolina Crusher at all.

Last edited:

wrecker1

Their site says Knoxville, but really its in Sevierville, which is about 20 miles outside of Knoxville, in the city of Pigeon Forge (does that sound confusing?)

I remember from back in 99 or 2000 that Schafer signed a exclusive TV deal with Milestone Motorsports, even though they went bankrupt back in 2000, he couldn't run any of his trucks at any other televised events aka monster jam, for fear of being sued by milestone and that's why we haven't seen him for awhile, plus the fact that he is a very busy business man. Perhaps that contract has finally ended and we can see his trucks back on TV.

Here's a link to the venue: http://www.seviercountyfairgrounds.com/
Paul ran his trucks with Monster Jam in both 2000 and 2001, so I don't think it was the contract thing.

RnW 13

Paul ran MOD, Monster Jam, and 4 Wheel Jamboree in the early 2000/2006.

2 of those had televised events. Monster Jam he ran the small more local shows.

Paul curtis

to be fair, you cant compare Bigfoot to Carolina Crusher name any more, you couldnt do that since probably when Gary stopped running multiple trucks, to say that Carolina Crusher is more popular and has more marketing value now, after the name not being ran but once in the last 3 or 4 years, and not being TV viable in over a decade is utter ballocks. to the half dozen people that know that Harper(again, Harper, not Shafer) won a couple of championships for a comparatively small promoter, well, big whoop... heck, Dennis proved it back in the day, its not how much you win, its how you market yourself and your name recognition..... if you went and asked any 100 average people who watched Monster Trucks in c. 1992 and asked them what they knew of Carolina Crusher, probably more than most of em would be able to identify it and Gary, and something about seeing the truck run...... you go and ask 100 avg people now what Carolina Crusher means to them, 15% MIGHT be able to tell you it was the truck Gary Porter drove before Grave Digger....

Taz2010

if you went and asked any 100 average people who watched Monster Trucks in c. 1992 and asked them what they knew of Carolina Crusher, probably more than most of em would be able to identify it and Gary, and something about seeing the truck run...... you go and ask 100 avg people now what Carolina Crusher means to them, 15% MIGHT be able to tell you it was the truck Gary Porter drove before Grave Digger....

If you ask 100 average people who drove Carolina Crusher currently, I'd say next to no one might now,,,,,What my point was is that GARY PORTER IS Carolina Crusher, not whoever was in in after him with odds and ends running,,,not dogging anyone who ran it after, they have the right to run the name they bought,,,just stating more people reconize Gary as Carolina Crusher than anyone else,,,,,,,my 2 cents again,,,lol
Rich